Some of my autos!

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of my autos!

Post by Madmarco »

O.K., here we go! These 3 are the last of my lower-end models, but even though they're less expensive knives, they're still pretty cool! There's a much shorter story attached to these ones, cuz they arrived with no problems! I ordered the 1st one separately, using the "Low Value" shipping method, which allows for the knives to be sent fully assembled, and, it arrived quickly and without incident. As soon as that happened I ordered the 2nd and 3rd knives, and they too arrived with no fan fair! All 3 are 13" swivel bolster models/SS dagger blades, SS and brass bolsters, brass liners and pins, safeties, and ebony wood scales on the top knife, and dark horn scales on the middle and bottom knives. All 3 have the usual "AKC" and "MADE IN ITALY", "STAINLESS STEEL" etched on the front tangs, and since the etch is the official AKC etch, they might be the real-deal, and not clones. I have noticed that on the clones the AKC etch is considerably different than what it is on the original models, so that's why I make the previous statement. I may be way off base on this, cuz they come out of China, but who knows, and besides, all 3 fire hard and lock-up solid with little or no blade play! US$100. for all 3! Nice, big, heavy swords, just the way I like em'! 8)
WIN_20200619_12_26_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200619_12_26_25_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200619_12_26_43_Pro.jpg
8)
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

FYI- AKC doesn't sell knives through China.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Years back I saw somewhere that China were using a akc stamp and the fake and original stamp we're shown and there was a difference. If you bought it from DHGate it's a fake. Doesn't make it a POS just makes it a fake. If it is worth it to you enjoy it but just realize what it is and what it isn't. I guess for a few extra bucks they will stamp Bill DeShivs on it, or so I've heard.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Those are very formidable switches, Mark. ::tu:: Is the closed length 13"? I have seen a dealer selling some pretty long switches at a knife show. I can imagine there's some kick to the knife opening?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:05 am I've heard the same samb, although don't know why anyone would want to! 8)
Resale,.if you don't mind ripping someone off you could make a nice profit.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks John! No, that's 13" open, and 7" when closed. I've seen those huge knives you're referring to, from 15-24", but I believe those monsters are for collection and advertising purposes, at least that's all I'd ever use one for. There's a knife on the internet I saw that is 36" CLOSED, and when the owner fired it the blade just lazily opened and locked-up, and I would classify that one as nothing but a novelty. The 3 I have fire pretty well, although, the longer the blade the weaker the knife fires most times, because there's so much blade to propel and springs can only be made so big. I have an 11" knife with a 5mm blade and 5mm 1-piece back-spring that twists my wrist when it opens, but I'll post that one last because it's my nicest knife. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Lol! 8) Thanks samb, but I know what you meant!
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have this offering for today guys! I acquired this knife from a collector that I met when making a purchase from etsy, and it just so happened that he lives 1 province to the east of me. I bought a really cool manual folder from him that I will post on the proper thread, but this was how I met him. We began communicating and he told me he had a collection of autos that he'd be willing to sell because he was making some life changes and it was time for them to go. I ended up buying the manual and 5 autos from him, and all are quality knives. This was, without a doubt, my easiest transaction because, there were no borders or Customs to deal with, just send a money order and wait for the knives to arrive, and when they did I was well on my way to building a collection! This is a nice old 8 1/2" Mikov leverlock that was purchased in the 1990's and sports the Mikov logo of a swordsman, not the current lion logo. It also only has 1 spring, whereas today's Mikov's have 2. It has a SS dagger blade, SS bolsters/liners/lever/and pins, and jet-black ABS scales. Has an encircled "Mikov" and "STAINLESS" stamped on the front tang, and "CZECH REPUBLIC" stamped on the rear tang. Fires fast and hard, and locks-up solid with negligible blade play. One of the teriffic features of these Mikovs, and a few others out there is, the springs can be easily replaced should the original ever break, by simply inserting a small screwdriver into the blade channel, gently prying out the broken spring, and inserting the new one from the butt-end of the knife and pushing it in until it clicks. You'll also know it's in when it's flush with the spine. These are great knives for EDC, and are true workhorses, taking just about anything one can dish out. They're also equipped with what I consider one of the best positioned levers in the game, due to them being extremely easy to slip your thumb under for opening. Some leverlocks have the lever too flush with the scale channel, thus making them difficult to slip your thumb under, but not this one! 1 of 6 leverlocks I own! 8)
WIN_20200620_12_27_29_Pro.jpg
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice, Mark! And thanks for the info previously. ::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You're welcome John, anytime, my pleasure! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:30 pm I have this offering for today guys! I acquired this knife from a collector that I met when making a purchase from etsy, and it just so happened that he lives 1 province to the east of me. I bought a really cool manual folder from him that I will post on the proper thread, but this was how I met him. We began communicating and he told me he had a collection of autos that he'd be willing to sell because he was making some life changes and it was time for them to go. I ended up buying the manual and 5 autos from him, and all are quality knives. This was, without a doubt, my easiest transaction because, there were no borders or Customs to deal with, just send a money order and wait for the knives to arrive, and when they did I was well on my way to building a collection! This is a nice old 8 1/2" Mikov leverlock that was purchased in the 1990's and sports the Mikov logo of a swordsman, not the current lion logo. It also only has 1 spring, whereas today's Mikov's have 2. It has a SS dagger blade, SS bolsters/liners/lever/and pins, and jet-black ABS scales. Has an encircled "Mikov" and "STAINLESS" stamped on the front tang, and "CZECH REPUBLIC" stamped on the rear tang. Fires fast and hard, and locks-up solid with negligible blade play. One of the teriffic features of these Mikovs, and a few others out there is, the springs can be easily replaced should the original ever break, by simply inserting a small screwdriver into the blade channel, gently prying out the broken spring, and inserting the new one from the butt-end of the knife and pushing it in until it clicks. You'll also know it's in when it's flush with the spine. These are great knives for EDC, and are true workhorses, taking just about anything one can dish out. They're also equipped with what I consider one of the best positioned levers in the game, due to them being extremely easy to slip your thumb under for opening. Some leverlocks have the lever too flush with the scale channel, thus making them difficult to slip your thumb under, but not this one! 1 of 6 leverlocks I own! 8) WIN_20200620_12_27_29_Pro.jpg

Nice! The Predator is another that has been on my list a long time. They also seem to have a lot of tool versions, many laid out like an SAK, but nowhere near as expensive as the Hubertus ones.

I got an email from Mikov (I have a few of their cheaper, slipjoint manual offerings, and despite us not even having an official distributor/importer in the USA of their entire line, I am on their email list) the other day, and they now are offering a variant with RWL-34 steel, filework, and horn handles. I think it looks pretty good. But, $310! Yikes! When the MSRP of the standard version is well under $100, usually around $80 or so.

https://www.mikov.cz/nuz-241-rr-1-kp/?lang=en
126367._._.o.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Cody! Yes, that is one nice knife, but like you said, "Yikes"! It seems that as soon as even a slight refinement is added, it pushes the price waaaaay up! They do build some very cool models with tools attached, and they get expensive, but not as bad as Hubertus, as you stated. It also seems that the base price of around $80. has stayed that price for a long time, but the more elaborate models keep changing, and always more, never less. I guess one has to just follow them and pounce if they're ever "On Sale". Pardon my ignorance but, what's SAK? I've included a couple pics of my 1-and-only Mikov manual, just in case you haven't seen one before! It's entirely SS, and operates just like it looks like it would, open with the stud, and close by pushing down on the plate inside the front scale. You'll notice it has a clip, which I usually remove, but since this one is stationary I didn't want to ruin the knife by grinding it off. A nice, heavy knife! My pics don't do it justice, since it's nice n' shiny in person! 8)
WIN_20200621_11_20_22_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200621_11_20_45_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is my knife-of-the-day fellas! This is 1 of the 5 I received from my Canadian collector friend, and was such a pleasure waiting for, because I knew it didn't have to go through Customs, hence no chance of seizure! It's an 8 3/4" swivel bolster Edgeco "kit" knife from the 80's, and when my buddy received it all he had to do was pop in the spring, and push the double-capped pin through the bottom of the front scale! It has a SS flat-grind blade/nail-nic, SS button and safety, brass bolsters liners and pins, and very nice Rosewood scales. I gave some thought into polishing the brass with some Brasso, but ultimately decided to leave it with it's rustic appearance, in fact, the only change I made was to install bronze phosphor washers, and fine-tune the pivot screw. Has "EDGECO" and "STAINLESS" stamped on the front tang, and a very unusual "TALY"(not "ITALY")and "STAINLESS" stamped on the rear tang. I originally thought that the "I" had simply worn off, but upon close scrutiny there's no indication it was ever there. This little baby fires fast and hard, and locks-up tight with no play! Another example of a knife that can be repaired should the spring ever break! Just wish they were all made this way! 8)
WIN_20200621_12_01_54_Pro.jpg
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking traditional auto stiletto, Mark. ::tu::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks John! I wonder if that odd stamp might make it a valuable knife someday. I'm sure it has some value seeing as it's so old and is an Edgeco "kit", but that unique stamp might make it a treasure to some eccentric collector who likes the "unusual" stuff, and just "has ta have it" Who knows, I may be sitting on a gold mine just waiting to be dug up! I can always dream, right? 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I like the slimness of this last one, very nice indeed.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! I thought you might like that one. It truly is a slim profiled knife, and just feels great in-hand! I can hardly wait for Friday when you send my knives, ::ds:: or at least around then, seeing as it's the weekend. Then I'll have those 2 to look forward to arriving, and then 4 more at the end of the month. Christmas in July, ain't it grand! ::groove:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This is my offering for today guys, and it's the only Hubertus I currently own, although, I'm in negotiations with a company in Germany to establish a long-term relationship with, as they have many very nice knives I'd like to eventually purchase. This knife was 1 of 5 different knives that I bought from my collector friend to the east of me, so again, no Customs to deal with! You should like this one Mark, seeing as it also has a very slim profile. It's called a "slimline", and comes in various sizes, this one being the 7 3/4" model. There's a bit of a history behind this knife, albeit not mine, but still kindda interesting. The gent I bought it from told me that it was purchased in Germany by his girlfriend 35 years ago, as a gift for him, since she knew he EDC'd auto knives. Being totally oblivious to the fact that this type of knife is strictly prohibited where we live, she bought it, dropped it in her purse, and hopped on the plane to return home. Now, had she been searched by Customs, she definitely would have lost it, and likely been charged with smuggling prohibited goods, but, fortunately, she just flew home and presented his gift to him. He told me that when he informed her that these knives are prohibited and she could have gone to jail for smuggling it home, she promptly announced that there would be no more knives as gifts, at least not from foreign countries! Just thought this little story was a bit more interesting than just, "here's the knife, blah, blah, blah"! Anyhow, the knife! It's a Hubertus 7 3/4" Slimline leverlock/SS flat-grind blade, brass bolsters/liners/lever/and pins, and nice Rosewood scales. There is the Hubertus logo over "Hubertus SOLINGEN" and "ROSTFREI GESCHMIEDET" "W-GERMANY" etched on the blade. Fires open hard and fast, and locks-up tight, with just the slightest amount of blade play. This model also appears to have a removable spring, so should it ever break it can likely be replaced without a lot of ta-do! This is a really nice smaller auto that would make for a great EDC, although, for me it's strictly a collectible! 8)
WIN_20200622_11_38_46_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

That's a nice one but keep an eye on the kick spring
I hear that sometimes they work their way out a little and they are prone to breaking.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for that info samb, I wasn't aware of that! My knives actually just sit in my display pouches most of the time, other than to clean and oil them 3-4 times a year, and those are usually the only times I fire them, but I'll definitely watch for what you suggested! 8)
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Guess all you have to do is push it back in but it has been an issue. Hope you don't have any problems with yours!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yes, you've nailed it samb, when you look into the blade channel you can see just how it slips into a slot at the bottom end, so should be an easy fix if problems arise! Thanks for the positive wishes! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

She's a beauty, Mark! Very interesting story too.

I had a buddy from Austria and once when his mother visited, back in the 1990s, she brought homemade pear schnapps and some Stroh rum that was way more potent than you can but here in the States. I think she just had all 3 bottles in her carry-on bag and no one cared. But today that would probably land one in the iron bar hotel. 😉

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's for sure John! It's kindda funny what we can get away with, and not even know we were doing something wrong! Thanks for your comments, they keep me com'in back for more! 8) P.S.-I'd love to see pics of any of your knives!
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm getting closer to the end of my current collection of autos fellas, but here's today's knife! This is also 1 that I received in the 5 knife deal I made with my Canadian counterpart from Ontario. There's no particular story behind this one, just simply that it was owned by the guy I bought it from for 35 years, and when he decided to sell-off his collection, it became available to me! It's an 11" Frank B swivel bolster stiletto/SS bayonet blade, SS bolsters/button/and safety, brass liners and pins, and white pearlex scales. Has "STILETTO" over "ITALY" stamped on the front tang, and "FRANK B" over "ITALY" stamped on the back tang. Even being that old this knife fires fast and hard, and locks-up solid with no blade play. This stiletto feels very slim in your hand, and weighs just the right amount, not too heavy, and not too light. If Goldielocks carried an EDC knife, this would be the one! Sorry, I couldn't resist! lol! 8)
WIN_20200623_10_58_39_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”