9" AB ATS-34 Honey Horn, flat grind automatic.

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

9" AB ATS-34 Honey Horn, flat grind automatic.

Post by Captain O »

I found one in perfect condition from a private collection and wonder how others view this particular steel/grind as a carry knife? I love the flat grind, and the ATS-34 Hitachi Steel blade seems to lend itself as a durable and useful carry tool (EDC).

Opinions? Comments? ::hmm:: ::tu:: 8)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 9" AB ATS-34 Honey Horn, flat grind automatic.

Post by gsmith7158 »

Captain O when ever will you figure out how to post a picture ? We need one to comment! ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I just won the auction for $100.00 ($6.00) shipping.

http://www.sharperdeals.net/uploads/cac ... 00x800.png

This is the only way I can post a picture.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

A very nice automatic! Thank you.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

gsmith7158 wrote:A very nice automatic! Thank you.
I wanted this so badly that I could taste it! This will be a "user" because the ATS-34 flat-grind lends itself to slicing, cutting, and general pocket utility. Since the Hitachi ATS-34 is heat treated to 60-61 HRC, it can perform "yeoman service" for quite some time before I have to take it to the Spyderco tri-angle "Sharpmaker".

Life is good. Good tools make it better.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Captain O wrote:
I wanted this so badly that I could taste it! This will be a "user" because the ATS-34 flat-grind lends itself to slicing, cutting, and general pocket utility. Since the Hitachi ATS-34 is heat treated to 60-61 HRC, it can perform "yeoman service" for quite some time before I have to take it to the Spyderco tri-angle "Sharpmaker".

Yes the new Steels definitely make life easier. The S3V blade on my benchmade has been in Hard service for 8 months now and is still as sharp as the day I got it. ::super_happy::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A good looking knife Captain O. Let us hear after you have used it a while. Thanks. ::nod:: ::tu::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

doglegg wrote:A good looking knife Captain O. Let us hear after you have used it a while. Thanks. ::nod:: ::tu::
Again, thanks! It is a shame that Armando Beltrame, Francesco Beltrame, and Renzo Beltrame do not routinely produce Italian clip point blades or flat-grind stilettos with Hitachi ATS-34 Stainless Steel. They could make a ton of money building "serviceable" automatics instead of Bayonet, Dagger, and Kris blades in the softer steels that are routinely used in their knives.

::dang:: :roll: Damn.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Captain O wrote:

Yes the new Steels definitely make life easier. The S3V blade on my Benchmade has been in Hard service for 8 months now and is still as sharp as the day I got it. ::super_happy::
Isn't it superb how the "high end" steels can take a great working knife and make it a "dream tool" in your hand? I have enjoyed Benchmade's quality for decades and am having a ball with some of the "carbon steel" blades from Ontario.

Carrying either the SP-10 Marine Raider or the SP-5 Survival Bowie (in 1075 Carbon Steel, of course) makes you feel as of you are heading out with a sword on your hip. I wanted one of the Ontario Automatic Knives but came up short of the money to buy one.

I'll enjoy this one, that's for sure.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The knife arrived this morning and it is perfect! "Tight as a tick" and very handsome. 8) ::tu:: With my Spyderco Tri-angle "sharpmaker" I quickly whipped a razor-sharp edge onto the flat-grind ATS-34 steel blade.

The perfect "gentleman's guardian" automatic, is great for "general purpose" (EDC) use as well.

Life is good. ::tu:: 8) ::ds::

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”