Switchblades in Canada

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Winnipeg Gentleman

Switchblades in Canada

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman »

Greetings all.

To the people who are legally able to buy and have switchblades, you guys are so very lucky, you have no idea how lucky you are.

I have loved switchblades for decades...but I have never held one, I have never even seen one with my very own eyes before, only on TV and in movies and pictures.

And why? Because I live in Canada, where switchblades are illegal. I love stilettos and have dozens of manual ones, but I've wanted a real switchblade literally for multiple years and years, but I've never been able to get one. I do have some assisted-opening knives, the gravity-assisted blades where a simple weight difference releases the blade, but no, it's not at all the same as an actual switchblade with the button on the handle.

It's very difficult seeing such beauty in something and never being able to have one, so those of you who are able to collect switchblades, you're very very lucky and I envy you more than I can even express.

Winnipeg Gentleman
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Switchblades in Canada

Post by jerryd6818 »

Move down here. The climate is warmer during the winter months and "freedom" is more than a word in the dictionary. That was kind of tongue in cheek because I can't imagine moving to another country. There's more to say about the situation but a political discussion is inappropriate here.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
eveled

Post by eveled »

I honestly don't think you are missing much. A Benchmade axis lock, is as fast, and you can close it just as fast.

The traditional type swichblades I've experienced, don't lock open until you let go of the button, so it's a timing thing. Then you have to slide the clip under the button so it doesn't fold if you hit the button.

I understand the cool factor, but for daily use? No thanks.

Ed
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

How far is your home from USA border ? Is there a town/city in USA not too far from where you would cross into USA ?
Depending on these distances you could drive to a cutlery store in USA and buy one there.
kj
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I agree with eveled. They are cool, and I’d like to have one just because as a CCDW holder in Kentucky, it is legal for me to carry one. I handled an older Hubertus in a shop the other day and was sorely tempted.

But my Spyderco Military opens just as fast and doesn’t have all the extra and expensive parts to wear out or break.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

kootenay joe wrote:How far is your home from USA border ? Is there a town/city in USA not too far from where you would cross into USA ?
Depending on these distances you could drive to a cutlery store in USA and buy one there.
kj
Just curious Joe, is legal to own a switchblade in Canada? Or, is it like some places here where you an own one but not carry it in public?
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here in good ol' Conneticut, where you can be a felon at the flip of switch, the hall monitors let us have a switchblade in our own home. If I take the knife out in the public and the blade is longer than 1 1/2" I can be fined $500 or 3 years in prison or both.
If I want to pull a real caper I can hide it in my vehicle, although doing that will expose me to a $1000 fine or 5 years in prison or both.
I just hope they don't find out about my adjustable wrench.

Here are some pictures of these dangerous items. Look if you dare.
Attachments
DSCN9305.JPG
DSCN1144.JPG
DSCN1153.JPG
Joe
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I don't own an auto, though I do own a Colonial Sport 33, which has a shackle key that replaces the blade in a frame of their M-724 Paratrooper's knife. Pretty much every "tactical" type knife I own opens quicker, especially my favorite two of that type, an Emerson Mini-CQC7 and a SOG Kilowatt. But in Canada, I've heard customs is treating an pretty much any one-hand opening knife that can be easily flicked open as a "gravity knife".

My state doesn't allow one to buy or sell a switchblade (unless it's to police or military) and frowns upon carry of them (unless you're police or military). You can own them, however. I see them for sale at flea markets in my county, but I just don't bother with the potential legal hassle. My folks have mentioned moving to Tenn, and I'd probably buy a nice automatic as soon as I do (I really like the Gerber and Benchmade ones).
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Beautiful Press Buttons FRJ. ::tu::
Woodly

Post by Woodly »

Yea, plenty of places in the USA they aren't legal
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Switchblades are not legal to carry in Canada. I do not know if it is legal to have one inside your own home. Most knife collectors likely have a few spring loaded folding knives.
kj
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

FRJ wrote:Look if you dare.
Joe - If that top knife has the endangered green turtle (Chelonia mydas) covers, you may be in violation of the Endangered Species Act and subject to fines of up to $100,000 and one year imprisonment which makes the Connecticut law seem pretty light ::smirk:: However, IMHO, I think your knife is covered with a piece of shell from a hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) taken before the Endangered Species Act from legal stock so you should be OK. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Tom.

Actually, I know from first hand accounts that these two knives were covered with the shell from a critter that was pulled from a stock tank in Vacaville in 1914, so I'm sleeping easy with that ....... unless they're celluloid.
Joe

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”