I ordered/bought a Fishtail Picklock (from Blade Play)

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

I ordered/bought a Fishtail Picklock (from Blade Play)

Post by Captain O »

This is a 10" AGA Brazilian Horn Fishtail Picklock (the last they had in stock). I hope this is as nice as the 20-year-old AKC that I bought from a private dealer. The last sample I bought over 10 years ago had a locking back spring that tended to rust at the base. ::pray:: ::undecided::

Does anyone have any recent experience with AGA Campolin Fishtail Picklocks?
Robo

Re: I ordered/bought a Fishtail Picklock (from Blade Play)

Post by Robo »

I got a purpe plastic handled one about a year ago from some small site. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. The Italian stilettos I used to get in the late 90's and early 2000s had no edge at all on the blades, and sometimes good, sometimes bad overall workmanship. I had four 13 inchers and every one of them had mad blade peak. This Fishtail on the other hand is part of the new generation of better made autos coming outta Italy--not straight outta 1947 for sure--but pretty damn good. It has a solid build and is attractive overall. It came with a decently shaped blade with a real edge. It suffers from one problem-- although some guys wouldn't be bothered by it-- mine had blade-almost-peak. That's the only way I can describe it. It was on the cusp of peaking. I have to kinda work my fingernail under the blade tip to prove it, but it's there. And that's just enough to drive me nuts. Unfortunately Auto blade peak isn't as easily fixable as non-auto blade peak. And this purple fishtail was literally the last of a batch available internet-wide a year ago. So I didn't return it and I figure maybe I'll find someone who can fix it someday or develop the skill set to do it myself. My guess is yours'll be fine. There's my take. Hope you get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it!

PS: I've had nothing but awesome customer service from Blade Play for whatever that's worth.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Thank you, Robo. I have sent a PM concerning handling your "almost" blade peek problem.

Have a great day.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

My new Fishtail Picklock is due by 10:00 a.m. Friday, 2/9/2018. (I am crossing my fingers on this $114.99 gem).

Watch this space.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

This thing is tight! Even after oiling it needs to be "whipped" out in order to open completely. While this is better than being loose, it may take a bit of time for the blade to become loose enough to open completely without special "encouragement". (I'm certain this will improve with use).

The Brazilian Horn is stunning. I couldn't be more pleased with the look of the knife. I'm impressed with the effort made by AGA Campolin as of late. I certainly hope that this knife will be as good on my hip as it is on the display shelf.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”