Opinions of the new Buck110 Auto and 110 Auto Elite

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

Opinions of the new Buck110 Auto and 110 Auto Elite

Post by Captain O »

54 years after the introduction of the Buck 110 "Folding Hunter" lock back knife, Buck introduced the Buck110 Auto. In 2018, they introduce the 110 Auto Elite (with G10 scales and S30V steel blade). The 420HC blade works quite well. It has been used since 1981 when Buck changed from 440C steel, hardened to 58 Hrc. With the addition of S30V steel to the Buck 110 "Folding Hunter" making it into the "Folding Hunter" Auto Elite, this knife has attained the pinnacle of Buck's evolution for the "Folding Hunter". The coil spring powering the blade should last as long as the rest of the knife, and Buck's "Forever Warranty" will restore it should become necessary. I like it!

With the "decriminalization" of automatic knives sweeping our great nation it was only a matter of time before Buck saw "the handwriting on the wall".

Questions? Comments?
ROGERGREEN

Re: Opinions of the new Buck110 Auto and 110 Auto Elite

Post by ROGERGREEN »

I just received my Buck 110 auto. Comparing it side by side to a standard 110, there is virtually no difference in size, shape and heft. The finish is outstanding. The first few firings, the action was a little tight and didn't always lock-up on opening. After a drop of oil and playing with it a bit, it operated fine and hasn't missed a lick. The blade fires with a distinct "pop" when locked up. It incorporates a torsion (coil) spring as opposed to the "leaf" kicker spring. This means the blade is under constant pressure until the blade is full open and locked up rather than "slinging" it open. The knife came razor sharp out of the box. Also included is a leather belt pouch and lifetime warranty. Hard to beat. I view it as a heavy duty knife, capable of hunting chores and a pretty good defense tool. The price (around $150.) is not a factor if you consider the lifetime of use this knife can deliver. I would recommend it to anyone. ::tu::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Thanks, ROGERGREEN. This is how I view it. The knife has been a classic field knife since its introduction in 1964. 53 years later it gains automatic opening capabilities. The year after (2018) it reaches its peak with a Bos heat-treated S30V steel blade. This makes the 110 "Folding Hunter" a useful tool in the woods. The hard steel blade permits the blade to go far longer between sharpenings. While it takes more effort to sharpen the S30V blade, it is more than offset by the length of time before the blade is dull enough to require maintenance.

Is that cool? (Yeah, that's cool!) 8) ::tu::
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Here is an auto elite. I love it and so far no misfires from 2 custom sheaths but the blade does have some play in it. Anyone know if that is normal?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
ROGERGREEN

Post by ROGERGREEN »

The 110 I bought has no play whatsoever but was very "stiff" out of the box. I hade to work it a while before it fired and locked up properly. Is your play "side play"?
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

kossetx wrote:Here is an auto elite. I love it and so far no misfires from 2 custom sheaths but the blade does have some play in it. Anyone know if that is normal?
I don't believe that "blade play" in their Auto Elite is normal. Go to Buck's home page on the internet and message their Warranty department. They will probably tell you to ship the knife back to Post Falls, Idaho. (They'll give you the address and send a print-out sheet so that you can write in what the problem with the knife). Their Warranty department is first-rate. You'll pay the shipping costs to Post Falls and they'll return it to shipping paid.

Believe me, they are that good!
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Yes, side play. To be honest I didn't notice it at first because after 30+ 110s I never had any play, ever. I didn't think to check that. I noticed it while using it. Makes me feel like I'm using a Italian switch.
ROGERGREEN

Post by ROGERGREEN »

You are correct on the old 110's. I went back and checked mine and it also is still tight. If your new Buck is loose like an old Italian, you may want to inquire about replacing it. Keep us posted on this.
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

I'd contact Buck about it, I'm sure they would fix it.
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

I purchased this from knife center. I called them and they offered to return it, no problem. They stated there is a place on the order page to put a comment like "check for blade wobble" but since I never had a 110 with blade wobble, I wouldn't have thought of it.

This info is FYI. If I was going to order one it would be with them and with those instructions. I live in houston and don't know of any local place I could have bought one.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I wound up with 2 of the Macassar 110 autos. My wife wanted to buy one for her brother but by the time they finally shipped he had been diagnosed with dementia or early onset of alzheimer's so we couldn't give it to him. One of the knives snaps like a gator but has a hair of side to side play. The other has no play at all but the action is a little sluggish. I figure a good flushing will loosen the slow knife up.As for the loose knfe I haven't decided if I'm going to send it in to Buck or just keep it as is. It really isn't all that bad.
010.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

wazu013 wrote:I wound up with 2 of the Macassar 110 autos. My wife wanted to buy one for her brother but by the time they finally shipped he had been diagnosed with dementia or early onset of alzheimer's so we couldn't give it to him. One of the knives snaps like a gator but has a hair of side to side play. The other has no play at all but the action is a little sluggish. I figure a good flushing will loosen the slow knife up.As for the loose knfe I haven't decided if I'm going to send it in to Buck or just keep it as is. It really isn't all that bad.

010.JPG
You're going to love it. I'm tempted to pick one up and carry it, instead of my round button, leaf-spring powered conversion. I carry the Ganzos a lot because they could be broken or lost without much sorrow. I'd like one of these because it would be a lifelong "pal".

Have you flushed and lubed it yet?
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Captain O wrote:
wazu013 wrote:I wound up with 2 of the Macassar 110 autos. My wife wanted to buy one for her brother but by the time they finally shipped he had been diagnosed with dementia or early onset of alzheimer's so we couldn't give it to him. One of the knives snaps like a gator but has a hair of side to side play. The other has no play at all but the action is a little sluggish. I figure a good flushing will loosen the slow knife up.As for the loose knfe I haven't decided if I'm going to send it in to Buck or just keep it as is. It really isn't all that bad.

010.JPG
Have you flushed and lubed it yet?
Not yet. It's on my list :D
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I just ordered the standard Buck 110 Auto a few minutes ago. I want this to be my "last Buck 110". I hope that it proves to render "yeoman" service as do most Buck products. ::pace:: I have a Buck 110 "round button" conversion, that's relatively tight. The only reason(s) I'm purchasing this knife are:

a) Buck's "Forever Warranty", and
b) Torque spring blade opening.

These should make certain that when I need the knife it will open without question and deliver cutting performance as needed when needed.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”