If Buck were to install an S30V blade in thier Automatic 110 Folding Hunter

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

If Buck were to install an S30V blade in thier Automatic 110 Folding Hunter

Post by Captain O »

Would you buy it to use while woods tramping with your favorite deer rifle? Thier new Automatic 110 FH is a "home run" in its own right. Carried in a nylon sheath, this knife acquits itself quite well in the field as is has since the manual model's first issue in 1964. The Auto version has the same Lifetime Warranty as the rest of their line.

You can Special Order the manual Buck 110 Folding Hunter with an S30V steel blade. While this costs more than their 420HC steel blade, the steel is hardened to Hrc 60-61 and tends to hold an edge longer under hard use. If this option were made available, would you opt to buy the Auto version for field use?
Captain O

Re: If Buck were to install an S30V blade in thier Automatic 110 Folding Hunter

Post by Captain O »

Thanks for the responses.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I'm a big fan of S30V from a few modern folders I have. It is a high-performance stainless steel and holds an excellent (if not hair-splitting) edge for a long time. I guess ultimately the difference in cost would decide if I could live with the usual Buck 420HC versus the upgrade to S30V.

I'd like to see Buck offer the knife in CPM-S110V with a similar HC (low-mid 60s). I think I'd pay the extra unless it was truly out of line.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Captain O wrote:Thanks for the responses.
Your welcome.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

If they have done this, it is the best move they could make. Once people figure out that this is one of the best working "hunting automatics" there is, they'll buy it. These aren't just collectibles, they are "working" knives not just "play pretties".

This is an important advance in "automatica". ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Captain O wrote:If this option were made available, would you opt to buy the Auto version for field use?
No. If I had one more belt sheath or holster I'd be Batman! :lol: I might be interested if it was drilled (or had a bail) for a lanyard so I could back pocket carry it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've hunted and fished all my adult life. I have never felt the need for an automatic lockback knife. If I were ever to buy one (don't hold your breath) it would be for the cool factor not for use afield. A simple fixed blade or a traditional lockback is more than adequate.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

philco wrote:I've hunted and fished all my adult life. I have never felt the need for an automatic lockback knife. If I were ever to buy one (don't hold your breath) it would be for the cool factor not for use afield. A simple fixed blade or a traditional lockback is more than adequate.
My sainted daddy carried an 11" Italian carbon steel Fishtail Picklock from 1938 until he mustered out of the Navy in 1956. This was carried in a holster along with a marlinspike with an adjustable end wrench silver-soldered on the end of it. This served as a "Deck Knife" while working aboard Navy Destroyers and Minesweeps. This "one-handed opening knife" saved his arm (and his life) because he could draw, open the knife and cut a line that nearly dragged him beneath the water at the Bremerton Naval Ship Yards.

It is not only a sentimental attachment but a practical one as well.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm gonna agree with Phil. My backpocket EDC is a traditional lockback that is easily accessed and opened one-handed, which is precisely the reason I carry it. No belt pouch to fool with - just grab the attached lanyard hanging from the pocket, and pull. It has an old school carbon steel blade (with great patina) that holds an edge well and is quickly touched up when necessary. It cost less that 30 bucks and has served me well. It also has great worm-groove jogged bone handles - I consider that a fringe benefit. :mrgreen:

Not meaning to knock your choice. Just don't see a need in my case.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm gonna agree with Phil. My backpocket EDC is a traditional lockback that is easily accessed and opened one-handed, which is precisely the reason I carry it. No belt pouch to fool with - just grab the attached lanyard hanging from the pocket, and pull. It has an old school carbon steel blade (with great patina) that holds an edge well and is quickly touched up when necessary. It cost less that 30 bucks and has served me well. It also has great worm-groove jogged bone handles - I consider that a fringe benefit. :mrgreen:

Ken
Different strokes for different folks. Before the pointless "Switchblade Control Act" of 1958, automatic pocket knives were common and hunting knives with this feature was viewed as a convenient feature, instead of an implement of gang warfare.

Out of curiosity, If this notion isn't of any interest, why are you replying?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Captain O wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm gonna agree with Phil. My backpocket EDC is a traditional lockback that is easily accessed and opened one-handed, which is precisely the reason I carry it. No belt pouch to fool with - just grab the attached lanyard hanging from the pocket, and pull. It has an old school carbon steel blade (with great patina) that holds an edge well and is quickly touched up when necessary. It cost less that 30 bucks and has served me well. It also has great worm-groove jogged bone handles - I consider that a fringe benefit. :mrgreen:

Ken

Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered - just read and move on. You asked the question "would you opt to buy" in your OP. A few hours later with no responses you posted "Thanks for the responses." Maybe I misunderstood but I perceived from your posts that you were impatient for replies. So I did. ::handshake::

BTW I agree about the totally senseless Switchblade Act. It was driven by Hollywierd scare movies and media hysteria. But I was around prior to that and although a youngster I did my share of fishing and hunting, and hanging out with older outdoorsmen. I can't recall seeing anyone with an automatic in their gear at the time. ::skeptic::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
Captain O wrote:

Ken

Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered - just read and move on. You asked the question "would you opt to buy" in your OP. A few hours later with no responses you posted "Thanks for the responses." Maybe I misunderstood but I perceived from your posts that you were impatient for replies. So I did. ::handshake::

BTW I agree about the totally senseless Switchblade Act. It was driven by Hollywierd scare movies and media hysteria. But I was around prior to that and although a youngster I did my share of fishing and hunting, and hanging out with older outdoorsmen. I can't recall seeing anyone with an automatic in their gear at the time. ::skeptic::

Ken
Ken,

No offense intended or taken. My "Thanks for the responses" was nearly 48 hours later. When I hear little more than crickets, I draw the conclusion that no one has even bothered to read it.

BTW, If outdoorsmen and hunters aren't enamored with "one-handed-openers", why are assisted opening knives selling here in the West like hotcakes? ::hmm::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just giving you my totally unscientific personal observations about pre-switchblade-ban outdoorsmen. Never have seen a hunter or fisherman with one in the field. Part of that is undoubtedly due to the "ban" (Many still think there's a federal ban prohibiting owning them, which there isn't nor has there been. Notwithstanding your state and local laws which may vary. ::dang:: ) https://www.akti.org/federal-switchblade-act/

Glad to hear they're becoming more popular. Even though I'm not seeing the need personally, I can see why some will like them. If you do and can afford one (and it's legal where you live), go for it!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Captain O

Post by Captain O »

This August, it will have been 60 years since the Federal ban. (For everyone except the Military, Firefighters, Law Enforcement and Emergency Medical Technicians). From the 1900's to 1957 there were pocket autos sold at every drugstore on cardboard displays. The Italian knives were sold in Sporting Goods stores everywhere. I know I saw a left-over Schrade's "Hunter's Pride" in Corvallis, Oregon's Les & Bob's during the 1960s.

Those were the days.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Why anyone who just dropped a big game animal and has both hands free need an auto? Like a button versus a lever for 4 WD in your Jeep. Just something else to break. I keep it simple. To each his own though.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”