Good everyday switchblade.

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Good everyday switchblade.

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I would love to see a very good quality traditional push-button. Maybe something similar to an Imperial Jack-o-matic Junior, but with better pin construction and better materials for the handles. I also really like some of the Hubertus leverlocks (I don't own any, but I wish I did), especially the smaller versions.
https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... 42239.html
https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... 27977.html
https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... 67066.html
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

LesPaulGuitars wrote:Hey all, and Happy Thanksgiving. I'm sure that most of us are sharpening our carving knives in preparation of tomorrow feast festival! Lol! Hope everyone has a blessed day, and pauses to give thanks to all of the freedoms that our Great country blesses us with.

Im hoping that with your expertise, that I can make a good choice when I purchase my next switchblade. Here is what I'm looking for. A knife that can be used as everyday knife, with a non serrated blade, out of the side blade, leverlock style release, stag or wood handles, 4" blade and reliable like camillus TL-29 is. My budget is around $150. Hope I gave enough information. Thanks! Rich
SOG Spec Ops II Auto. You can't do much better than this.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I bought a non-switchblade Milwaukee brand knife, single blade lock back from Tool Crib that is faster than many autos and opens without pressing a button and has a great shaped blade for construction. I am a carpenter but do most all trades on small jobs. It is legal almost everywhere and inexpensive. ___Dave
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

djknife13 wrote:I bought a non-switchblade Milwaukee brand knife, single blade lock back from Tool Crib that is faster than many autos and opens without pressing a button and has a great shaped blade for construction. I am a carpenter but do most all trades on small jobs. It is legal almost everywhere and inexpensive. ___Dave
Disposable knives are okay, but a nice pocket auto is like an old friend. The reassuring "click" as it opens, lets you know that it is ready to perform. I have some nice pocket-sized autos that are well worth the money.

The small Colonial small "keychain" auto knives are great. Good cutting power, reasonable cost, positive opening, and a lifetime warranty. What more can you ask? ::tu::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The Buck 898 Impact is one of the best EDC knives manufactured to date. It employs an S30V steel blade and a 3 1/8 inches it isn't overly large for pocket carry. The knife holds a fantastic edge and will last the rest of your life. (Buck's 'lifetime warranty' will see to that).

It doesn't get any longer lived, nor efficient than this. ::nod::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

The Milwaukee isn't a disposable razor blade type knife. It has a great blade shape and is a dream to use. It is too big for normal pocket carry but is good for a tool belt. When you snap it open it sounds like a serious auto. Just don't discount it because it isn't 100 years old. I prefer old knives, and love old autos, but if I'm going to drop one from scaffolding 3 stories up, I'd rather it was a really good $25 knife than a $2000 Grizzly. ____Dave
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

My AKC Speed Hunter arrived today. It is tighter than a drum head. The firing mechanism is so taut that depressing the firing button requires real effort. The blade locks up tight and there is virtually no side-to-side or front-to-back blade play. The slide safety requires real effort to apply and disengage. The Stag scales on this piece is a sight to behold! They are beautiful and functional. The knife's 3" drop-point blade is perfect and snaps out with authority. This knife can disappear in my sports jacket pocket and "spring" into action when called for service. This was money that was more than just "well spent". This knife was a real bargain! ::tu:: :mrgreen: ::groove:: It isn't a "one-trick-pony" but a truly useful piece of "Automatica". This is a brilliant example of the Italian artisan's knifemaking abilities. I don't see how it could get much better. It is a fantastic bit of "kit"!

If you can buy one, do it! You won't be sorry.
ROGERGREEN

Post by ROGERGREEN »

I've got a Buck 110 auto on the way. We'll see how it is.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

ROGERGREEN wrote:I've got a Buck 110 auto on the way. We'll see how it is.
Take heart, ROGERGREEN. You will enjoy your purchase. The factory 110 Auto is a superb carry knife. ::handshake:: ::ds:: ::groove:: ::tu::

Be of good cheer! :mrgreen:
ROGERGREEN

Post by ROGERGREEN »

Should show up by the end of the week. I've carried Hubertus Springers for years, but the Buck may be the new carry.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

ROGERGREEN wrote:Should show up by the end of the week. I've carried Hubertus Springers for years, but the Buck may be the new carry.
You're going from a light(er) weight lever lock to a heavy button-open and lock back knife that has a true "lifetime warranty". This is something that Huburtus will never have. The Buck is also 100% American made. When you need warranty service, it is there in spades! This is a robust "working" knife not some "look at this" piece of "flash". This alone should make you happy.

Trust me, you are moving up in the world.
ROGERGREEN

Post by ROGERGREEN »

Did receive the Buck automatic today. Every bit the quality and heft of the standard 110 hunter. The action was a little stiff right out of the box and didn't open and lock-up every time. After a little oil and playing with it bit, all is good. Sounds like a bear trap going off! I like the torsion spring design as opposed to a kicker spring. That leaves the "well" open preventing lint and dirt being trapped and makes for easy cleaning. I would recommend it as a heavy duty EDC. ::tu::
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I didn't know that the Buck 110 Auto and Auto Elite (S30V Blade G10 handle on the Elite) were coil spring fired. These knives are obviously made for service instead of display. This validates the knife's purchase price. It can offer a lifetime of use and then some. Isn't this the inherent value of an EDC auto?

Works for me.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”