Illinois now legal

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
mrwatch

Illinois now legal

Post by mrwatch »

Just read on the internet that the governor of Illinois signed into law the possession of switch blade knives. You must be 21 years old and have a Illinois gun owners license. If you need one it cost $10 and can take one month to get.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Illinois now legal

Post by Old Folder »

Great news mrwatch. ::nod:: ::ds:: ::tu:: ::groove::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

mrwatch wrote:Just read on the internet that the governor of Illinois signed into law the possession of switch blade knives. You must be 21 years old and have a Illinois gun owners license. If you need one it cost $10 and can take one month to get.
The only down side I can see is getting a gun license in Illinois (or maybe it is just Chicago)is akin to finding a set of dentures for a rooster. ::shrug::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

mrwatch wrote:Just read on the internet that the governor of Illinois signed into law the possession of switch blade knives. You must...have a Illinois gun owners license...
Well, that seems reasonable enough; after all, owning a gun and owning a switchblade are essentially exactly the same. In fact, I can't tell you how many times I've started to reach for my switchblade only to pause and think, "Hmmm...Perhaps a gun would be a more effective and appropriate tool for this task, it's a shame I didn't happen to carry my Walther PPK with me today." I'm sure it's a common dilemma that most knife collectors have faced more than once or twice...am I right? :roll:

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Oh, hey...speaking of switchblades...

Here's a great opportunity for all you good, law-abiding folks living in the land of Lincoln to start your now-legal switchblade collection.
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=53427

(Only the All Black, Part Serrated 7000ST is still available)
P8220380.JPG
P8220381.JPG

And, BTW, if you want to buy it, I won't bother to ask you to show a gun license, I'll just naturally assume you already have one...because, why on earth wouldn't you?

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh no, Ray. What he's talking about for $10 is the old FOID card (Firearm Owner's IDentification card). The FOID does not license you to carry a firearm, it just identifies you as a firearm owner but you have to have it to own a firearm. More twisted Illinois logic.

"Effective August 11, 2017, the possession and carrying of automatic knives is legal for any citizens who possess a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) Card. Public Act 100-0082 does not require a firearms concealed carry permit in order to possess and carry an automatic knife.Aug 15, 2017"

Yeah, I wonder if they will change the name of the FOID to Firearm and Automatic Knife Owner's ID card. Ahh, Illinois. Ya gotta love it.

I think I'll stick my Ganzo in my pocket now. :mrgreen: (because I can)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

jerryd6818 wrote:Oh no, Ray. What he's talking about for $10 is the old FOID card (Firearm Owner's IDentification card). The FOID does not license you to carry a firearm, it just identifies you as a firearm owner but you have to have it to own a firearm. More twisted Illinois logic.
Sounds like how it used to be in Massachusetts(my home state originally).You could get a F.I.D.(Firearms Identification card)when you were 15 years old which allowed you to hunt with a shotgun(rifles were not allowed for hunting in Massachusetts) provided you were accompanied by an adult.Once you got it you never had to renew it.
A concealed carry permit in Massachusetts required you to be at least 18 years old and was good for 5 years. You needed to be approved by the chief of police in your town or city and pass an FBI background check.Some towns were easy to get approval and others(like Boston)were impossible unless you knew someone or found someone to bribe.Strangely enough even though you could get a CCP when you were 18 you had to be 21 or over to buy ammunition! Even stranger was you could apply for a license to carry an automatic weapon as long you were cleared by the BATFE!
To transfer a weapon from one person to another you had to fill out two,"blue cards" and send them to the Secretary of State.There was no fee. Now in order to transfer a weapon you must pay a ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR FEE(!)for each weapon!
This was 25 to 30 years ago and I know the laws must have changed considerably thanks to Ed Markey and Fauxcahontas.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Was it illegal to collect switchblades in Illinois prior to this new law or to carry only? And if it's the latter only then isn't a Kershaw spring assisted pocket knife already legal in Illinois and just as effective as an EDC as a switchblade? I'm not sure as I've never owned a switchblade.
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

[quote="QTCut5"][quote

Well, that seems reasonable enough; after all, owning a gun and owning a switchblade are essentially exactly the same.

I can't sharpen a pencil with any of my guns.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

sam eib wrote:I can't sharpen a pencil with any of my guns.
But, have you ever really tried?
Maybe you just need to work on your aim.

~Q~

(I hope you realize I'm just messin' with you -- often people mistakenly think I'm being serious, but they're almost always wrong) :wink:

~Q~
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Reading these posts causes me to be grateful to be living in a gator, snake and mosquito infested state that we don't have to jump through a bunch of political hoops to own, sell, trade, give away fire arms. (Having to pay for a concealed permit is bad enough.) What's next, a national permit to buy, own, sell, trade or give away a Case Peanut?
The voting booth is still very important! I'm always amazed at the attitude of some candidates, they come to Florida and want to make it just like the state they escaped from. ::uc:: Forgive me for getting on my soap box, but the OP did say "now legal".
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

Illinois has always been on the "hind teet" so to speak on just about everything except their liberal views (thanks Chi-Town). In theory those who possess an FOID card have gone through an extensive background check and are free from criminal history. The fact that Illinois has "legalized" switchblade / automatic knives in any respect is a win. It is even a bigger win considering they did not form some way to collect revenue for our new found freedom. And food for thought I was almost certain there are Federal guidelines in place for the purchase, sale of or otherwise causing the transfer of switchblade and/or automatic knives across state lines. Just saying there has been long standing regulations as far as switches and autos are concerned.

Automatic Knife Laws & Assisted Knife Laws. The Switchblade Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. § 1241–1245), as may be amended, (the “Act”) prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:

(a) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;

(b) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;

(c) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;

(d) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c).

Sections 1242 and 1243 of the Act shall not apply to:

(e) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

(f) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces.

(g) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty;

(h) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm; or

(i) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.
John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jmam7516 wrote:food for thought...there are Federal guidelines in place for the purchase, sale of or otherwise causing the transfer of switchblade and/or automatic knives across state lines. Just saying there has been long standing regulations as far as switches and autos are concerned.
John, everything you said is true. Federal Law still prohibits the sale, purchase, carry/transport and even the possession of switchblade knives. However, similar to what's currently happening with cannabis (marijuana) regulations in the U.S., many states are challenging the misguided, ill-conceived and poorly enforced Federal regulations thanks mostly to KnifeRights.org which is working to change Federal Law to clear up the confusion and legal mess it has created and get it properly aligned with State Laws and more rational legislation.

Originally conceived and authored by Knife Rights in 2010 and first introduced in 2013, the Knife Owners’ Protection Act of 2017 (KOPA), H.R. 84, now includes repeal of the archaic 1958 Federal Switchblade Act and has been introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Rep. Andy Biggs (AZ-05). KOPA will remove the irrational restrictions on interstate trade in automatic knives that are legal to one degree or another in 40 states, while also protecting the right of knife owners to travel throughout the U.S. without fear of prosecution under the myriad patchwork of state and local knife laws.

Despite my state's total ban on automatic knives (including ownership for collection purposes only), and the Federal restriction on transporting switchblades across state lines as well as the use of the USPS to do so, with relatively few exceptions I have purchased switchblades from companies located in other states and had them shipped to me through the US mail for years with almost no problems whatsoever (and by "problems" I mean a company refusing to sell me a switchblade or ship it across state lines). The companies that sell the knives seem to believe they are legally absolved from liability and/or prosecution simply by stating that it is the buyers' responsibility to know and comply with the rules & regulations of their particular state despite the fact that Federal Law is very clear on the prohibition of sale or transfer of automatic knives across state lines.

Nevertheless, as with any other ridiculous or outdated Federal Law, as long as it's still on the books violation is a punishable offence that carries serious penalties (fines and/or prison sentences) if you are unfortunate (or stupid) enough to get caught, however unlikely the possibility may be. So, the "food for thought" point is well taken, i.e., there is an inherent risk, albeit relatively small, with buying and selling switchblades.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm surprised Mike Madigan (speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives and uber liberal a-hole) didn't try to block this.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

~Q~ ,
As noted in my previous post there are 4 exemptions that allow for a company to ship switches and autos across state lines. I personally fall into one of those categories and thus could order and receive the knives. However, that does not preclude me from state, county or municipal regulations. The companies are bound by federal mandates and could care less about ones home state policy. You and you alone are responsible for knowing the laws of your state and or locality and subsequently abiding by them. I heard somewhere that "nothing was against the law as long as you didn't get caught" LOL There are always 2 persons who see everything . . God and your conscious . . I would like to stay in the good with both.
John
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

jerryd6818 wrote:I'm surprised Mike Madigan (speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives and uber liberal a-hole) didn't try to block this.
He is probably at this very moment trying to figure out how to tax them. ::dang::

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”