Min Sheng auto

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Min Sheng auto

Post by TripleF »

Just beginning to learn about automatic, gravity and switchblades....today actually!

This one prompted the investigation!
Attachments
IMG_1129.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Min Sheng auto

Post by QTCut5 »

I know a gravity knife is different, but I thought automatic and switchblade were synonymous terms used to refer to a blade that is deployed with the use of a spring. I currently have (and have owned) several different types of automatics/switchblades, i.e., single action, dual action, OTF, button, lever & scale release--but I have never owned a true gravity knife. Would be interested to see one, though.

That Min Sheng is a wicked looking stabber, Scott...even the name sounds menacing, like a Chinese prison shank or something. (Better not rat me out to the warden or I'll min sheng yo a$$!) ::uc:: ::paranoid::

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote:That Min Sheng is a wicked looking stabber, Scott...even the name sounds menacing, like a Chinese prison shank or something. (Better not rat me out to the warden or I'll min sheng yo a$$!) ::uc:: ::paranoid::

~Q~
::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

QTCut5 wrote: That Min Sheng is a wicked looking stabber, Scott...even the name sounds menacing, like a Chinese prison shank or something. (Better not rat me out to the warden or I'll min sheng yo a$$!) ::uc:: ::paranoid::

~Q~
::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not heard of Min Sheng but do have experience with knives from 2 other manufacturers located in China: HanWei and SanRenMu. Both produce knives with the tightest of tolerances like what you see with a Wm. Henry or Sebenza and i have never received one that was below this very high standard.
This leads me to believe that these knife factories are highly mechanized/digitalized with laser controlled CNC machines etc. which enable high volume production at low cost.
I wonder if Min Sheng is another precise manufacturer ?
What i am saying is that some knives from China are high end as far as workmanship goes even if price is low. The only way to know is to buy one and check it out for yourself. It won't cost you much.
So Scott: what is your assessment of this knife ?
kj
Brian_R170

Post by Brian_R170 »

TripleF wrote:Just beginning to learn about automatic, gravity and switchblades....today actually!

This one prompted the investigation!
I've got one of those that I bought 10 or 11 years ago. Cost around $6. Don't know much about it, but it has an interesting design where the cavities for the main spring and button spring are drilled all the way through the handle and the pocket clip covers both holes on the outside. This practice was common for Chinese-made autos at the time, at least for the main spring, but covering the button spring seemed like a novel idea to me as I had never seen that before.

I assume these disappeared from legit dealers when Benchmade started enforcing their spine safety patent. I guess we could start seeing them again as I think that patent expired about 6 months ago.
outkast

Post by outkast »

Recently acquired a Min Sheng in a collection. This is a solid little piece.
From my research they are going for around $80 on average if you can find one.
Min sheng $75.jpg
Brian_R170

Post by Brian_R170 »

outkast wrote:From my research they are going for around $80 on average if you can find one.
::uc:: :shock:
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

QTCut5 wrote:I know a gravity knife is different, but II have never owned a true gravity knife. Would be interested to see one, though.

~Q~
Here are a few.
Attachments
OTF&Gravity 001.jpg
OTF&Gravity 003.jpg
OTF&Gravity 005.jpg
OTF&Gravity 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Those are neat. So, if I understand the concept correctly...the blade is deployed by pressing a button or lever which allows it to "free-fall" or slide out of the handle exclusively due to gravity, with no springs or other mechanical devices acting on the blade to assist, right?

Then, in order to close the blade, I assume the button/lever is depressed and the knife is held in a position that, once again, allows the force of gravity to cause the blade to "drop" or slide back into the handle.

An ingeniously simple and functional design...beautiful!

I'm curious if the blade on a gravity knife has tight lock up -- both deployed as well as retracted? With only a notch & pin type of lock and no other force exerting pressure or tension on it, such as a spring or detente of some sort to hold it more securely, it seems like it would be more likely to have blade play or movement since the design requires the blade to be able to move freely with relatively little or no resistance.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I really like that Min Sheng auto. I bought it from Scott back in June. Its a little blocky compared to other auto's in my collection. Built solid like a tank! ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

QTCut5 wrote:Those are neat. So, if I understand the concept correctly...the blade is deployed by pressing a button or lever which allows it to "free-fall" or slide out of the handle exclusively due to gravity, with no springs or other mechanical devices acting on the blade to assist, right?

Then, in order to close the blade, I assume the button/lever is depressed and the knife is held in a position that, once again, allows the force of gravity to cause the blade to "drop" or slide back into the handle.

An ingeniously simple and functional design...beautiful!

I'm curious if the blade on a gravity knife has tight lock up -- both deployed as well as retracted? With only a notch & pin type of lock and no other force exerting pressure or tension on it, such as a spring or detente of some sort to hold it more securely, it seems like it would be more likely to have blade play or movement since the design requires the blade to be able to move freely with relatively little or no resistance.

~Q~
I never really checked the lockup on them but just did and put quite a bit of pressure on the blade(pushed against a solid oak desk top and all it did was penetrate the wood)and it didn't release.Of the four knives I tested three(the military knife is put away)and although all exhibited some side play when open the Anton Wingen had the least amount. The smaller metal handled one had a bit more as did the white handled one.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

I have around 50-60 switches/gravity/OTF/Traps. Here are just a few from my collection:

Cheers

Kirk
thumbnail_IMG_7912.jpg
Vintage Bonsa German Gravity Knife 2.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8870.jpg
thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”