Can you help with info on this Vintage Switchblade?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Wilson3d

Can you help with info on this Vintage Switchblade?

Post by Wilson3d »

Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope it isn't too annoying when Noobs ask about this all the time. I was given this switchblade that has been in my family for quite sometime. I am in my 40s and it was in the family for at least 10 years before I was born. As you can imagine I have always loved this knife and am now trying to find out more information on it. I would love to get a good idea of how old it is and what the value is on it.

All that I have dug up so far is that I believe the M. Italy most likely means that is was fabricated in Maniago Italy and INOX means inoxidizable. It is around 13 inches and is a picklock. It still works great but the lock doesn't work on it. The bottom is rusty. I can provide more pics if needed.

Thanks a lot for any info!
Attachments
switch1.jpg
switch2.jpg
switch3.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Can you help with info on this Vintage Switchblade?

Post by djknife13 »

Hello Wilson. Welcome to AAPK. These guys love helping people figure out what their knives are all about and some guys more knowledgable than me will be around shortly I'm sure. My best guess about your knife is that it is a fairly commom Italian simular to the ones WW2 Vets brought home, if the scales are actual horn. If it is a composite it is probably newer. I've owned a few I've picked up for about $25 and traded them off over the years for around $50. With the lock not functioning and some corrosion you'd be near the lower end of that value. A family treasure makes value to not really mean much. I'll wait and see if the guys who really know what they are talking about agree with my assessment. Again, welcome. ___Dave
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Definitely a 1950s Italian and as far as worth ,,,,,, these days they seem to be selling 150 to 275 & up with that stamp depending on condition . This one is fairly common and looks in nice shape.
Wilson3d

Post by Wilson3d »

Thanks so much for the info! Let me know if anyone has more. Should I clean the rust off the bottom or would that make it less collectible? I can post a pic of it if you need to see how bad it is.

Thanks again, I am already wanting to get a couple more!
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

As far as cleaning the knife you`ll get a whooooooole lot of different opinions on that subject . To each his/hers own I say . ::handshake::
Sticks of Fire

Post by Sticks of Fire »

wiseguy wrote:Definitely a 1950s Italian and as far as worth ,,,,,, these days they seem to be selling 150 to 275 & up with that stamp depending on condition . This one is fairly common and looks in nice shape.
Wiseguy is correct. It's a late 1950s (could be early 1960s too) Italian stiletto switchblade. Yours looks to be a really nice original shape. It's not a super rare model but it's a large size with a nice tang stamp so it's a desirable piece for many.

I wouldn't clean anything on that beauty.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Scrub the rusty spots with a lead pencil. That will clean up the active rust without harming the knife. Don't expect miracles. Congratulations on having a family heirloom.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
roostershooter

Post by roostershooter »

Nice knife! As others have said, nothing out of the ordinary but a nice example. I would try to gently remove the active rust.
Wilson3d

Post by Wilson3d »

Thanks so much! That info really helps me out!
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

New to this forum and responding to old post. Virtually all brands and stamps of these Italians were and are made in Maniago and the only two major brands today are Campolin and Beltrame. M. Italy in an oval is generally held to be Mauro Mario and while not one of the top ones, it's near the top of the middle ones. I'd say it's a B+.

Pretty scales. Nice knife. A 33cm 13" in that shape is rare and very collectible, even with broken safety. It's worth about $400 give or take and can be repaired or restored for about $100, which probably raises value to $600.
georgyboy

Post by georgyboy »

Wilson3d wrote:Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope it isn't too annoying when Noobs ask about this all the time. I was given this switchblade that has been in my family for quite sometime. I am in my 40s and it was in the family for at least 10 years before I was born. As you can imagine I have always loved this knife and am now trying to find out more information on it. I would love to get a good idea of how old it is and what the value is on it.

All that I have dug up so far is that I believe the M. Italy most likely means that is was fabricated in Maniago Italy and INOX means inoxidizable. It is around 13 inches and is a picklock. It still works great but the lock doesn't work on it. The bottom is rusty. I can provide more pics if needed.

Thanks a lot for any info!
hey your knife was most likely made in maniago italy by the mario mauri company,,in the 1950's with about $100. work by a skilled pro such as bill deShivs it should be worth up to$350-$600 georgyboy
mrmthrfkr

Post by mrmthrfkr »

My inox switchblade only has patent on one side and inox on the other and its in pretty rough shape well the blade is all scratched up and the spring is broke how do i fix it and can u give me any info on it pls

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”