"Switchblade Law" question

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Bill DeShivs

Re: "Switchblade Law" question

Post by Bill DeShivs »

"Interstate commerce" does not include transporting items that you own across state lines.
It's legal to take your knife home. I'm not a lawyer, either.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Just an observance here.
It seems that knife laws are not as "strictly policed" as the gun laws. All guns for sale through "dealers" must go through the federal background check procedure before you can legally posses them. Some dealers and sellers will ship an automatic knife straight to you in Mississippi since knives are not watched as closely by the feds.
Now, as far as the law goes I think most emphasis is on the "carry" aspect of the law. You can own one but don't tell everyone on the internet that you have one of those "switchblade knives" everyone says is illegal. Your mouth might get you into trouble.
There are also OTHER laws on the books in Mississippi that would get you fined or jailed if they were enforced. Such as.... In Tylertown, MS it is "unlawful for a man to SHAVE in the middle of MAIN STREET." LOL.... so, if you as a knife collector want an automatic knife.... well, I say get one AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!
Better get 'em while you can. After the feds make guns illegal.... knives are next!
(a word to the wise)....

:wink:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
44mag

Post by 44mag »

Meridian Mike,
If anybody doesn't believe what you just said about knives next after guns, all they need do is look at the most recent attempts in Britain to make a sharp pointed knife illegal. There seem to be some people everywhere that can't leave well enough alone. They feel a need to take all means of self-defense away from the people that make a country work.. I don't understand them at all. They must have no brain at all.....
Bruce Z.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thankfully our Texas legislature repealed the non sensical knife laws that had been introduced over the last 100 years and instituted a logical one that allows the carrying of switch blades and knives that are sharp on more that one side etc. They passed the state law because some of the localities were passing a myriad of local laws limiting the carrying of knives. They stipulated that the state law superseded the local laws. Here in Texas we live in a rare time of fresh air among governing officials. I doubt it will last but it is refreshing for now.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Here in the Commonwealth of Kentucky it is legal to carry a switchblade if you have a CCDW license. That’s our “concealed carry”. It stands for Convealed Carry Deadly Weapons. It makes us legal to carry all manner of things concealed from guns to switch blades to collapsible batons, throwing stars, etc.... some things I’d never think of carrying anyway! Lol.

I’d rather it be legal to carry them with no license, but I’ll take what I can get.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Must read! Here are the facts - Don't believe the myths about automatic knives - https://www.akti.org/dont-believe-myths/

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

The problem with switchblades vs the law is that the gov in the 1950s was convinced that switchblades promoted violence.
Well, violent crime has advanced so far BEYOND the knife (of ANY kind) now that many states are starting to reverse the ridiculous switchblade laws on the books. (Don't take a knife to a gun fight)
After all.... auto-openers are for convenience or for the one-armed man.

I have seen auto openers available for sale in at least 2 sporting goods stores I frequent. SO.... something has happened here in Mississippi.

Mike
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

California allows the carry of auto knives with a blade under 2 inches in length. That's why the Benchmade Impel has a blade that is 1.98" and the Protech Calmigo is 1.99". I have yet to find someone that is not a knife enthusiast that knows about this part of the law. In addition, every non-knife person I have shown an assisted flipper knife thought it was a "switchblade" and therefore illegal.

There is absolutely no practical reason for any restrictions on automatic knives.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: There is absolutely no practical reason for any restrictions on automatic knives.
EXACTLY!!

::dang::
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

I believe it is Federally illegal to ship across state lines, usps has its own internal "rule" against it, but ups and fedex do not. I don't know where the legality of shipping to law enforcement or active military comes into play.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Any place I can buy two springs for Boker TOP LOCK TWO?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TazmanTom18 wrote:I believe it is Federally illegal to ship across state lines, usps has its own internal "rule" against it, but ups and fedex do not. I don't know where the legality of shipping to law enforcement or active military comes into play.
From the AKTI link I posted a few posts back:
The FSA only prohibits your ability to send automatic knives through the postal service. It makes no restrictions on shipping knives using the other carrier services as long as it is not being sold across a state line.
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

There are many online sellers that will happily sell and ship to any state. Other sites make it clear that it is the buyers responsibility to understand the state & fed laws and if you aren't military or law enforcement, you might be breaking the law. I have also seen sites that make you fill out a form stating you ARE military or law enforcement. But heck, you can also buy automatic knives from China that are shipped to your door. Those are crossing a lot more than just a state border!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Virginia law related to concealed switchblades is changing on July 1! ::ds::
Attachments
Screenshot_20230418-093230.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Congratulations, buddy! ::handshake::
You'll now be able to enjoy all your God given rights that have been denied to you guys for so long.
I'd LOVE to be there on July 1st just to witness all the guys whipping out their autos and cracking them open for the simplest reasons!
Have fun, John!
8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Come on down, Mark. We can just stand around King St. flicking our autos and checking out the sights. It is a Saturday this year.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Samb

Post by Samb »

I know of people who have buying them for years, laws, we don't need no stinkin knife laws!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

VA legalized buy/sell/trade last year, and in July, it's supposed to be legal to carry them concealed (open was legal since last year). HOWEVER "stilettos" are supposedly excluded--which is confusing. I know Stiletto can mean a slender auto like a Latama, but in my view, it's always been knives like the Fairbairn Sykes/V-42.

I'm probably just going with a Boker Kalashnikov or some Pro-Tech (unless I can get a buddy of mine to trade me another knife for his well-used AFO), so it's not a problem, but that clause just doesn't make sense.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Hey Red, Is the Tiffany Tavern still on King Street? I played there back in the 80's. O'.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:59 pm Hey Red, Is the Tiffany Tavern still on King Street? I played there back in the 80's. O'.

Man, I loved that place, used to go with friends on Fridays after work. Ted, the owner, was a nice guy and the food was excellent. Sadly, it's no more, not even sure if Ted's still alive. Laughing Lizard Lounge and Rocket Grill have live mic I think, both on King St. too.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:45 pm Come on down, Mark. We can just stand around King St. flicking our autos and checking out the sights. It is a Saturday this year.
How I wish, buddy! ::pray::
We could even wear black leather jackets and be rowdy, and who knows, they might bring the law back, they did it once for those reasons, no reason to believe the powers that be have grown-up and matured over this issue! ::facepalm::
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Samb wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:46 pm I know of people who have buying them for years, laws, we don't need no stinkin knife laws!
::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: !
The Sierra Madre 2023 Switchblade Act!
8)
8)
Samb

Post by Samb »

Good one Marco ::ds::
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Red: Pretty sure Ted died. It was funny, the Bluegrass crowd would be raising sand in the bar and the Greeks would be partying in the back. Talk about two different cultures! Good times. J.O'.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:27 pm Red: Pretty sure Ted died. It was funny, the Bluegrass crowd would be raising sand in the bar and the Greeks would be partying in the back. Talk about two different cultures! Good times. J.O'.

Raising a glass for Ted, he was a good guy. 🍻

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”