Who made this guys ?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
JonTerry

Who made this guys ?

Post by JonTerry »

This has come up and wondered who made it ?? I don't recognise any stamps ??

Cheers

JT
Attachments
Who made.png
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
No youre wrong

Re: Who made this guys ?

Post by No youre wrong »

This is a late 1950s/early 60s Japanese model. It seems there are endless variations of handle shapes and ricasso stamps.

Sure they copied other models like the Springers and stilettos and swing guards but they also designed a wide variety of original styles.

The Japanese weren’t just a one tricky pony when it came to creativity.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

No youre wrong wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:20 pm This is a late 1950s/early 60s Japanese model. It seems there are endless variations of handle shapes and ricasso stamps.

Sure they copied other models like the Spriners and stilettos and swing guards but they also designed a wide variety of original styles.

Cheers mate,
This one has Bone one side and hardwood the other ?
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

JonTerry wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:23 pm
No youre wrong wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:20 pm This is a late 1950s/early 60s Japanese model. It seems there are endless variations of handle shapes and ricasso stamps.

Sure they copied other models like the Spriners and stilettos and swing guards but they also designed a wide variety of original styles.

Cheers mate,
This one has Bone one side and hardwood the other ?
Is it wood or Bamboo? It may have been replaced. The jigged bone we see on the front is original for sure.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Have a look I think it's hardwood ???
Attachments
wmt2.png
wmt3.png
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Yes that looks to be replaced with wood. Most but not all Japanese usually had a bail too.

Maybe one day you’ll find a broken one and you could have the back handle added to this one?
millern

Post by millern »

Great looking old leverlock! The mismatched back scale adds to the interest, I think. It seems to have been nicely installed!
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

millern wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:51 pm Great looking old leverlock! The mismatched back scale adds to the interest, I think. It seems to have been nicely installed!
Yes nice work but it doesn’t have scale pins.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife was originally a shell-puller.
The guards have been ground off and the rear handle has been replaced.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

The top bolsters are original and made that way on that model. Japanese made hundreds of variations rarely seen in the USA.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

And, you know that how? Do you have catalog photos, or pictures of others?

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Yes

Many other obvious things about the knife that make it different than a shell puller model.
Attachments
A782E174-3A58-4FE9-8ADC-8AEB4E40E5B4.jpeg
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I see. Thank you.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

No youre wrong wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:20 am Yes

Many other obvious things about the knife that make it different than a shell puller model.
So do you think you can narrow it down to a maker ?

I was hoping the XX stamp may of been a very old Case tang stamp but I could find nothing in my research, if this is Japanesse where should I be looking for research mate ??

JT
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

I should also add, that I bought this in the UK, now don't get me wrong Knives (like stones) do travel around and this may of come via the USA at some point, I have many knives that did, but perhaps these were made for a European market ??

Im guessing that it would be before my Dads 4th Birthday (May 12th 1958) when the UK banned Auto's/Switchblades, which in the Scheme of things did not leave a big window for imports from Japan post WW2 as trade didn't really start until circa 1951, to be blunt the Korean War saved Japans ass economically.
Right I'm doing a typical JT tangent here.......so back to the point we have a 7 year window where Japan may of imported these knives to the UK, otherwise this came in through the back door.
I would presume more important trade items than pocket knives would have been on the agenda for Japan in the early stages, so I would put this as a late 50's import if it came direct to the UK from Japan. BUT WHO MADE IT ???

JT
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

JonTerry wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:23 am I should also add, that I bought this in the UK, now don't get me wrong Knives (like stones) do travel around and this may of come via the USA at some point, I have many knives that did, but perhaps these were made for a European market ??

Im guessing that it would be before my Dads 4th Birthday (May 12th 1958) when the UK banned Auto's/Switchblades, which in the Scheme of things did not leave a big window for imports from Japan post WW2 as trade didn't really start until circa 1951, to be blunt the Korean War saved Japans ass economically.
Right I'm doing a typical JT tangent here.......so back to the point we have a 7 year window where Japan may of imported these knives to the UK, otherwise this came in through the back door.
I would presume more important trade items than pocket knives would have been on the agenda for Japan in the early stages, so I would put this as a late 50's import if it came direct to the UK from Japan. BUT WHO MADE IT ???

JT
It would have been made sometime around 1956 roughly. Not sure if weapons and such were allow to be manufactured/exported out of Japan much earlier than that after WW2. It could have made it to the UK via Germany which had trade set up with the once War-alli Japan.

All roads lead to at least two factories in Japan making switchblades. One was making all the Japanese copies of Italians stilettos and the swing guards. Another factory would have been making all these brass models with the little flip-lock and those billions of 1950s Japanese camping knives with brass and jigged bone and a fork and spoon). Surely there could have been others but at least two different factories.

The Japanese were very innovative and made hundreds of styles and designs something lacking with modern day designers. It’s a great original design that stands on its own for being a unique and interesting style. Cool knife!
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Marshall Plan allowed the Japanese to make and export knives immediately after WW2, while Germany could not export cutlery until 1950.
Of course, it took the Japanese time to make knives that were suitable for export to other countries.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

That’s good information. Thank you
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:17 am The Marshall Plan allowed the Japanese to make and export knives immediately after WW2, while Germany could not export cutlery until 1950.
Of course, it took the Japanese time to make knives that were suitable for export to other countries.
Hi Bill,

Whats your guess-timation on the Date mate ?

JT
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Definitely not Case. But maybe the "XX" was added to confuse? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I can't pin it down any further.
The Japanese really didn't understand many things about knives that were suitable for export-especially to the US.
As mentioned, the pullers didn't fit any shotgun shells-and markings were all over the place.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:48 pm I can't pin it down any further.
The Japanese really didn't understand many things about knives that were suitable for export-especially to the US.
As mentioned, the pullers didn't fit any shotgun shells-and markings were all over the place.
That’s an interesting subject. Im not sure what you mean by “suitable for export to the US?” Thx
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'll explain it.
American and Asian cultures were very different.
The Japanese were struggling to develop things that were attractive to American buyers. Before WW2, there were no Japanese lever locks, there were no camping knives. Japan was an isolated country in many respects.
The Marshall plan was instituted to jump start the devastated Japanese economy. Japan was actively trying to develop items that Americans wanted at a price cheaper than what was available.
You wouldn't remember when "Made in Japan" meant cheap junk. Later- beginning in the late 1960s, the Japanese developed a talent for making very good copies and products.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
No youre wrong

Post by No youre wrong »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:26 pm I'll explain it.
American and Asian cultures were very different.
The Japanese were struggling to develop things that were attractive to American buyers. Before WW2, there were no Japanese lever locks, there were no camping knives. Japan was an isolated country in many respects.
The Marshall plan was instituted to jump start the devastated Japanese economy. Japan was actively trying to develop items that Americans wanted at a price cheaper than what was available.
You wouldn't remember when "Made in Japan" meant cheap junk. Later- beginning in the late 1960s, the Japanese developed a talent for making very good copies and products.
Ah. I understand what you meant now. Yes I remember that for sure just the same as pre-1980 and the Chinese.

I don’t think any of the shell pullers Springer replicas were ever imported to the USA tho. Mostly Germany and Europe probably.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Almost all of Europe was in shambles after WW2.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery