Handguns And The Collection Plate

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Handguns And The Collection Plate

Post by dlr110 »

Jerry just made me remember a Sunday morning at our little country church with his post about Guns in America.

We have 2 police officers in our church and several former military and everyone agrees that with our location and
accessibility we are absolutely a "soft target." There are now about 5 or 6 of us that carry handguns to church on
any given Sunday and I usually conceal carry except this one Sunday morning. Myself and the music ministers son
had been asked to help take up the offering. So as we came forward and a prayer was being offered I noticed that
both of us were standing there with our 9 mm pistols holstered on our belts in open carry. As we sent the offering
plates down each isle I wondered what was going through some folks minds as they eyed our guns and then put their
cash or checks in the plates. It had to be a crazy sight to some and it was funny to me back then but now it's
completely normal to see most of us open carry during church services. God forbid if something happens, I don't
want to be sitting there fumbling trying to get my gun from under my shirt or a jacket.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
robpa

Re: Handguns And The Collection Plate

Post by robpa »

I guess most of us just carry when we feel the need and dont feel the need to talk about it. its not something to brag about, dont feel the need to let others know my business. I just think carrying a handgun is like carrying a knife. its just what ya do. Should I come here and say, a few of us vets and cops carry open at the cockfight? I mean , you know, Whats the big deal. ?? just sayin, no conflict wanted, .
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

robpa wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:05 pm I guess most of us just carry when we feel the need and dont feel the need to talk about it. its not something to brag about, dont feel the need to let others know my business. I just think carrying a handgun is like carrying a knife. its just what ya do. Should I come here and say, a few of us vets and cops carry open at the cockfight? I mean , you know, Whats the big deal. ?? just sayin, no conflict wanted, .
What ::shrug::
It's just a story that's what this thread is about.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
robpa

Post by robpa »

OK , cool.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:43 pm Jerry just made me remember a Sunday morning at our little country church with his post about Guns in America.

We have 2 police officers in our church and several former military and everyone agrees that with our location and
accessibility we are absolutely a "soft target." There are now about 5 or 6 of us that carry handguns to church on
any given Sunday and I usually conceal carry except this one Sunday morning. Myself and the music ministers son
had been asked to help take up the offering. So as we came forward and a prayer was being offered I noticed that
both of us were standing there with our 9 mm pistols holstered on our belts in open carry. As we sent the offering
plates down each isle I wondered what was going through some folks minds as they eyed our guns and then put their
cash or checks in the plates. It had to be a crazy sight to some and it was funny to me back then but now it's
completely normal to see most of us open carry during church services. God forbid if something happens, I don't
want to be sitting there fumbling trying to get my gun from under my shirt or a jacket.
Got to Love The Lone Star State !!!

Stag

Return to “Mostly True Stories”