Is she all right?

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is she all right?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The story posted by David about his mom reminded me of this.

At age 90 my dad was having problems which were eventually diagnosed as liver failure. Although his body was failing, his mind was as sharp as ever. Knowing his time was coming to an end, he decided he wanted to move to an assisted living center and even chose the one where he wanted to be.

After we got him relocated, he settled in to the routine there with meals prepared for him and round-the-clock care. He particularly liked one of the nurses named Peggy, who it turns out was from the town near where dad was raised. There were also varous therapists who worked with him including the occupational therapist, Sophie, who came by every few days to check on him and give him some things to work on mentally, etc. Part of Sophie’s routine was to ask dad some questions to check his mental faculties. What’s your full name? What’s your date of birth? What day is today? Where were you born? Do you have any children? And so on. She asked him these questions at least once a week.

One day when I was visiting with dad, Sophie came in and asked him her list of questions. He politely answered them all. As Sophie left his room, Peggy entered and as she began checking his temperature, blood pressure pressure, etc the conversation went like this:

Dad (to Peggy): “How well do you know Sophie?”

Peggy: “Pretty well. We’ve both worked here for several years. Why do you ask?”

Dad: “Is she all right? She keeps coming in here and asking me the same questions over and over. I’m worried about her.”

:lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Is she all right?

Post by djknife13 »

I love this. Thank you for posting it and making my day.____Dave
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I love this. Thank you for posting it and making my day.____Dave
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

About four years ago when my Mother was in the hospital having gallstones removed
She hadn't had a dip of snuff in about a week.
She's 93 now and has been a snuff dipper since she was a teen.
One day a lady came in her room and told me she was here to
See if mother would like any help to try a quit dipping snuff.
I told her to go right ahead and talk to mom.
She asked her if she uses snuff and without batting an eye mom
Said yeah have you got any? She turned to me and I just smiled and said have a nice day. :lol:
Tim
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:47 pm The story posted by David about his mom reminded me of this.

At age 90 my dad was having problems which were eventually diagnosed as liver failure. Although his body was failing, his mind was as sharp as ever. Knowing his time was coming to an end, he decided he wanted to move to an assisted living center and even chose the one where he wanted to be.

After we got him relocated, he settled in to the routine there with meals prepared for him and round-the-clock care. He particularly liked one of the nurses named Peggy, who it turns out was from the town where dad was raised. There were also varous therapists who worked with him including the occupational therapist, Sophie, who came by every few days to check on him and give him some things to work on mentally, etc. Part of Sophie’s routine was to ask dad some questions to check his mental faculties. What’s your full name? What’s your date of birth? What day is today? Where were you born? Do you have any children? And so on. She asked him these questions at least once a week.

One day when I was visiting with dad, Sophie came in and asked him her list of questions. He politely answered them all. As Sophie left his room, Peggy entered and as she began checking his temperature, blood pressure pressure, etc the conversation went like this:

Dad: “Is she all right? She keeps coming in here and asking me the same questions over and over. I’m worried about her.”

Ken
Great story Ken, ::rotflol:: made my day, thanks for posting it! 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:47 pm The story posted by David about his mom reminded me of this.

After we got him relocated, he settled in to the routine there with meals prepared for him and round-the-clock care. He particularly liked one of the nurses named Peggy, who it turns out was from the town where dad was raised. There were also varous therapists who worked with him including the occupational therapist, Sophie, who came by every few days to check on him and give him some things to work on mentally, etc. Part of Sophie’s routine was to ask dad some questions to check his mental faculties. What’s your full name? What’s your date of birth? What day is today? Where were you born? Do you have any children? And so on. She asked him these questions at least once a week.

Ken
That is a fabulous story Ken. I'm still laughing while I type! :lol: ::rotflol:: :lol: ::rotflol::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

In 1943 my mom and little brother and I got in the train in Iowa and went to ft hood Texas to be close to my dad in basic training. The lady that we rented a room from was always getting her ball of cotton on a wire out and and dipping in her snuff box and putting in both sides of her nose. Every time we left the house we would have to give the lady a Yankee dime, that was a kiss on her cheek.
TPK

Post by TPK »

:lol: ::rotflol:: ::clapping::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Great stories guys!😁👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Great story Ken. This is not an uncommon situation when people get older. They
see things differently in life, just like a youngster sees life different than your
"standard" adult.

My son-in-law's grandmother always told of unusual stories and situations she had
been in around the dinner table. She unfortunately passed away this past Thanksgiving Day.
You don't really appreciate older folks until you get to or at "retirement age".

Bob
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Great story, Ken. I'm sure many of us can relate to the redundant questions every time we go to the doctors. I know that; every time I have to go get something medically done, I have to state my name, date of birth and what meds I'm on to no less than three different people...and sometimes, up to five. :roll:

Thanks for sharing...
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “Mostly True Stories”