Pork Rinds and My Mom

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Pork Rinds and My Mom

Post by dlr110 »

This is not so much a story, but a brief insight into my mom’s past and her current circumstances.

My mom grew up in the Texas hill country back in the early 1930’s. There were 11 kids which included 2 sets of twins, my mom was one of them. They lived in a shack on the banks of the Frio River near Leakey, TX. They had an outhouse (2 holer), kerosene lamps and a water hand pump in the kitchen. Weather permitting they would go down to the river to bathe and there was a huge wash tub on the back porch to wash clothes every weekend.

Everyone had to work, so when mom was barely a teenager she got a job at the local soda fountain and grill. I don’t know if that is where she learned to cook, but boy she could cook. When we were growing up she could fix a pan of hamburger helper and make you think it was a cut of New York Prime Rib. Her southern fried chicken in an iron skillet would make you get up and dance around the table. We always had 3 meals a day and clean cloths. She was always home when we left for school and when we came home.

My Mom doesn’t cook anymore, she had a stroke back in 2016, but recovered quite well physically. Between home health care and my sister she has had almost 24X7 care. Her speech is still difficult to understand after the stroke and sadly I think now her memory is starting to go. Mom will soon turn 88 years old.

My brother was at her house this past week so I drove over to see him and mom. We had lunch and had a great time sitting out on the porch talking and enjoying the great weather we had that day. When I first arrived she was looking at a group of all the family photo’s in a large frame hanging on her wall. She knew me and my brother, but started asking the names of some of the grandkids and great grandkids. She remembers events from her own distant past, but has trouble with events in her recent past. When she can’t find words to express herself she gets frustrated. She gets confused easily and then gets emotional and cries.

While we were sitting out on the porch, mom said she wanted to snack on some pork rinds and something to drink, so my brother got her the rinds in a small bowel and some milk, she loves milk. In a while my brother and I noticed that she had eaten some of them and instead of drinking the milk she was now pouring it on the pork rinds making pork rind cereal of them. We just looked at one another and my brother went and got her a spoon.

Pork rind cereal, that’s a long ways from southern fried chicken.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pork Rinds and My Mom

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for sharing your heart, David!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Good on you guys for taking such good care of her 👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for sharing that David. Sounds like your mom has a lot in common with mine while growing up.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I love it. Thanks for sharing David. ::nod:: ::nod::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:08 pm Thanks for sharing that David. Sounds like your mom has a lot in common with mine while growing up.

Ken
Yep, mine too. I recall going to see Maw-maw and Paw-paw and even staying a few days with them. The thing I recall most was the two holer. What an adventure that was. Also, the horse trough where we soaked til clean.
Thanks for sharing David.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I will have to try that, thank your mom for the recipe, David. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Good story.

Bob
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great that you guys had that chance to spend some quality time with her. I'm sure that will remain a lasting memory of a wonderful mom. ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Sad sweeat story. I can relate all too well. My Dad fell to a massive stroke 3 years ago and my mom slipped away this past May. Cherish the moments we have.

Incidentally I have a friend that owns a house in Leakey on the Frio. Beautiful country.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....great story!!!!.......... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .............................
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Just read this David...what a great story and sharing greater memories. Thank you.
In a while my brother and I noticed that she had eaten some of them and instead of drinking the milk she was now pouring it on the pork rinds making pork rind cereal of them. We just looked at one another and my brother went and got her a spoon.
When I read this ending part of your story, it brought back a myriad of memories of how I had to learn how to deal with Jerry (Geraldine), my dear Friend of over 20 years, after she started showing serious signs of dementia. When your brother went to get your mother a spoon, I really felt a heartfelt emotion, for he did the most gracious thing he could have for his mother. These are the same situations I had to learn about Jerry...and once I stopped 'correcting her' and learned to just 'go with the flow', Jerry became more calm and didn't get upset as much. Those with dementia / Alzheimers have to be treated like a young child...without the discipline.

Anyway...just wanted to say how your story touched my heart.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I was just looking around the forum and I noticed it's been a year now since I posted this about my mom and I forgot to thank you all for your gracious comments, please forgive me. Mom is still with us, but she has spent much more time in bed this past year and has taken a couple of bad falls. We pray for her and my sister who bears the burden of mom's day to day care along with home health. Shamefully I have not gotten up to her house to see her as often as I should have, making all kinds of excuses and putting other things in my life before her. I pray I will do better this year. Again, thanks for your kind and gracious thoughts.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
eveled

Post by eveled »

I missed it the first time around. Great story.

Return to “Mostly True Stories”