The Chief's Mess And Their Coffee Cups

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Chief's Mess And Their Coffee Cups

Post by KLJ77 »

I was perusing the "First Cup Diner" this morning and came across Ann's post about her "Daddy's Coffee" and a statement she made. The statement was: The coffee was refined down to something like mud, only not as runny. If it could have, it would have risen up out of the pot and killed us all."

That statement 'jump started' a memory of a most sacrilege incident onboard a ship I was stationed on. This IS a very true story. For those who are retired Naval sailors, you very well may fully understand what occurred on this very sad day inside the Chief's Mess. For those who are unlearned in the ways of a Navy Chief, follow along, you'll get the gist of this story.

I was just a young buck seaman at the time of this incident, working my way up the ranks. As such, all E-3 and below were, at some time during their Navy career, assigned to temporary duty of a minimum of 90 days of what was called "Mess Cook" duty. This duty consisted of washing pots & pans, helping the cooks, setting up the 'chow line' (food service line), serving the food, cleaning up afterward, etc., etc. Some of us young bucks would be assigned to the main galley, but at least two of us were assigned to the Chief's Mess. The duties were basically the same, but we would also learn to cook breakfast eggs to order for the Chief's.

Now, what one needs to fully understand is; ALL Chief's drink coffee...STRONG coffee, like the stuff Ann mentioned above. That is one of the greatest traditions of the Navy, especially in the Chief's Mess. Another GREAT tradition of a Chief is; they NEVER wash their coffee cup...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. A Chief's personal coffee cup would, over the months and years, become stained by the coffee. Some were lightly stained (usually indicated a newby Chief), and some were so richly stained, the inside of the cup was a dark walnut brown...indicating the longevity of an "Old Salt". Some of you may know where I'm going with this...but hang on, don't give it away just yet.

There were 28 Chief's onboard this ship and a part of this Chief's Mess. There were Chief's (E-7s), Senior Chief's (E-8s) and crusty old Master Chief's (E-9s), along with the Big Dog, the Command Master Chief (CMC), an E-9 with a Star above his Crow. He was the Alpha of the Mess...and believe it or not, of the entire ship's crew. So the stage is set...

It was always 'assumed' that every young buck seaman assigned to Mess Cook duty in the Chief's Mess KNEW that you NEVER, EVER wash the Chief's coffee cups. The most you ever did was rinse them out and hang them up, or place them in their assigned slot. (Ya'll know where I'm going with this now, don't you?) But on this fateful day, the day that the bowels of hell would open up and take a sacrifice, one young man decided, on his own, that he would truly please each and every Chief, and make them so proud of his initiative and caring, and would ensure that every disgusting looking, brown soiled coffee cup would be sparkling clean and shiny by evening meal.

This young pimply faced 18 year old was innocent, was never told to not do what he was so proud of doing. I think he truly believed he was going to receive an Accommodation Medal for his actions and be some kind of shipboard hero. But no, he had no idea what he was about to endure beyond imagination from 28 Khaki wearing monsters that were only believed to exist in a closet or under the bed, in a dark room of a three year old.

At the moment of discovery...one could hear the howling, cursing, screaming through the bulkheads, 15 frames fore and aft. If one just happened to be outside the entrance to the Chief's Mess, you didn't stick around to find out how hot the dragon's breath was gong to be. You just knew something grave and dangerous had just been unleashed. Everyone knew the voice of the Command Master Chief...he was the loudest and most profane of all the Chief's, for his cup had not been tainted by dishwashing suds in 26 years...yes, that's right, the same coffee cup for 26 years was now sparkly clean, not a speck of brown anywhere on it, inside, outside, top or bottom, as were all the other cups. It was like brand new. Eventually, the CMC sat down in the Mess and blubbered like a 6 month old baby who had just lost his favorite binky.

As to the young man...he became the most infamous seaman onboard and within three weeks, received transfer orders to another ship, for the Commanding Officer knew he would NEVER be forgiven by the Chief's, so he protected this young man from further disgrace and embarrassment...and quite possibly, from harm.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: The Chief's Mess And Their Coffee Cups

Post by Paladin »

Good story, good one! Only question is, were you the young seaman? :shock: :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just out of boot camp. First tour of duty on that ship or any ship for that matter. Greener than the grass he had just finished cutting on his parents front lawn. Yeah, I can see that. Poor bstd. You can bet that mis-step followed him to his next ship and to every duty station thereafter via the Chief's grape vine.

90 days of mess duty? all in one big chunk?? ::uc:: Holy snarkies. That sucks! In the Marine Corps it was 30 day chunks with (supposedly) one chunk for each year served up to a total of 120 days. A few guys served more. Some guys served the total 120 days (me) and any number of guys fell way short of 120 days. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! I never served in the Navy, but even I don’t like my coffee cup washed! It’s a wonder that feller lived long enough to get transferred!

On a positive note, the description of Ann’s dad’s coffee sounds just about right!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Ray...no, it wasn't me. I was just there to witness all the excitement. ::paranoid::

Jerry...yeah, he was cherry. Very Naive`. I don't know what ever happened to him, but I do know the Chief's took ownership for not telling him. From that day forward, they put a sign up where they kept their cups that said; "MESS COOKS, DO NOT TOUCH THESE CUPS"

Wade...I don't wash my coffee cup either. My wife puts on a show of 'gagging' whenever she looks at it. :roll: That coffee tint gives every cup thereafter just the right taste. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: A good sea story starts out " Hey this ain't no $hit"! It's a wonder that Chief didn't make him walk the plank. "DON'T EVER WASH A LIFER'S COFFEE CUP"! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

That young seaman was lucky to escape without any broken limbs. Also in most cases the Command Master Chief would have gone to that seaman's division Chief and chewed his rear end for not briefing the kid before sending him to the mess. Being selected to serve in the Chief's Mess was considered a big deal and we treated them well so long as they worked hard and did their job. On the ships I was on we even had a tip jar at the kitchen window and if we were happy with the meal and service we would leave change and dollar bills for the guys to split. Some made enough money for the next liberty port. I still have my old porcelain cup with all the stains in it packed away with my old Navy memorabilia. And yes my wife never understood the tradition of the "seasoned" coffee cup. Thanks for the memory, great story.
::marine_salute::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 pm Ray...no, it wasn't me. I was just there to witness all the excitement. ::paranoid::

Jerry...yeah, he was cherry. Very Naive`. I don't know what ever happened to him, but I do know the Chief's took ownership for not telling him. From that day forward, they put a sign up where they kept their cups that said; "MESS COOKS, DO NOT TOUCH THESE CUPS"

Wade...I don't wash my coffee cup either. My wife puts on a show of 'gagging' whenever she looks at it. :roll: That coffee tint gives every cup thereafter just the right taste. ::tu::
Washing the cup ruins the taste of the coffee. We won’t talk Scott what the inside of my Stanley thermos looks like! :mrgreen:
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Mostly True Stories”