The Dogs Above

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Dogs Above

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Garry for starting this thread, I'm so glad you did! And thank you for being one of the good ones! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I absolutely love your "pack" pic Mark, not to mention Girl Scout's pic, and your touching story! I'm the same way when it comes to seeing animals in distress, if I can't intervene then I can't watch. My older brother has been extremely touched regarding any kind of animal cruelty his entire life, and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't always understand his anguish, at least not until I was a bit older. It fills my heart with good feelings when I see or hear of a human being's kindness towards our best friends, who can't speak for themselves. I'm generally a calm, gentle individual, but if anything could bring me to blows it would be to someone harming an innocent animal. Heck, I don't even step on spider anymore! House flies I have no problem destroying, but that's about it! And I absolutely roared ::rotflol:: when I pictured Mary jumping up and down and panting wildly as she greeted you at the door, but it's so true! Whatever you do though, don't try putting her in your trunk to test your theory! lol! 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Marco,

GREAT story about you and Elvis. You and him have a bond like no other. Thanks for sharing. ::tu:: ::handshake::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks LJ! My heart goes out to you over your pal Shadow, you must have been devastated. Your picture of him captures his beautiful strength and nobility. ::tu:: But at least you guys had all those great years together. And you still have Bryce and Harper to help fill the void! I had to be the one who put down a beautiful Afghan hound that my Mom use to have. Her name was Fanny and she lived a good life while she was with us, but ultimately succumbed to cancer. My Mom couldn't even come to the vet the day we put her down, and asked me if I would look after that very unpleasant task for her. As much as I didn't want to, ::facepalm:: of course I couldn't refuse my Mom, so I went ahead with the job at hand and did my best to console myself with the thought that at least Fanny wouldn't be in pain any longer. I held her close as the Dr. inserted the needle, talking gently to her until she quietly slipped away. That was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I firmly believe that God won't give us anything we can't handle, even if it seems so at the time. I'm really glad that you're on our side ::handshake:: regarding the welfare of these wonderful creatures God has seen fit to grace us with. 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm Thanks LJ! My heart goes out to you over your pal Shadow, you must have been devastated. Your picture of him captures his beautiful strength and nobility. ::tu:: But at least you guys had all those great years together. And you still have Bryce and Harper to help fill the void! I had to be the one who put down a beautiful Afghan hound that my Mom use to have. Her name was Fanny and she lived a good life while she was with us, but ultimately succumbed to cancer. My Mom couldn't even come to the vet the day we put her down, and asked me if I would look after that very unpleasant task for her. As much as I didn't want to, ::facepalm:: of course I couldn't refuse my Mom, so I went ahead with the job at hand and did my best to console myself with the thought that at least Fanny wouldn't be in pain any longer. I held her close as the Dr. inserted the needle, talking gently to her until she quietly slipped away. That was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I firmly believe that God won't give us anything we can't handle, even if it seems so at the time. I'm really glad that you're on our side ::handshake:: regarding the welfare of these wonderful creatures God has seen fit to grace us with. 8)
Thanks, Marco for your kind thoughts. ::handshake:: And I sensed and felt your pain and heartbreak when describing your last moments with Fanny. I've been through 9 of those moments of not letting my pets pass alone, and it NEVER gets easier. I can act tough, with all the manly bravado in the world, stand my ground and be aggressive...but when it comes to helping a beloved pet cross over, I'm an emotional mess. God Bless you and your Mom.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you LJ! I applaud your inner strength for being able to go through that painful experience 9 times. I know once was plenty for me, but should the need arise, at least I know I can draw on that strength through God again. I often think to myself, would it be better for me to have to bury Elvis, or for him to have to bury me, and I always come to the conclusion that the former would be best, because that way I can care for him properly, including his burial, as opposed to wondering what will happen to him if I'm not there. Would he find another good home? Who will fix his meals just the way he likes them? Who will scratch his tummy just the way he likes? And endless more questions. My biggest fear would be that no one takes him, and he gets sent to the vet to be put down. I only have 1 slightly older brother left in my family, and 1 real friend, but neither of them are in a position to take over caring for him should something happen to me, so I think the best solution would be for me to stay healthy and be there for him when the time comes. Sorry if I came off a bit morbid, it's just that these things are of great importance to me. I also think it's a good thing that we can be strong as men when the situation calls for it, yet strongly emotional when those times arise, and it makes us better men for it. And thank you for your kind blessings, may the same be plentifully bestowed upon you and yours. Mark! 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

You're not being morbid at all, Mark. You have very valid concerns, and I've given thought to the same exact situation many times. Just a thought; could you draft up a "Care Notice" of some kind indicating your desires for Elvis, should something happen to you? You could provide a copy to the local vet, or Animal Control, a close friend, neighbor, etc. I don't know if that would be viable or not... ::shrug:: kind of like a 'living will' for Elvis and his well being.

Nevertheless, I wish you and Elvis a long prosperous life together.
LJ

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a great idea LJ, that never crossed my mind, thank you so much! I know exactly what you're talking about and I'll get right on it. I have something very similar in my wallet willing my knife collection to an AAPK member who I know for sure will appreciate it. I've lived my life as a kindda "seat-of-my-pants" type of individual, so I'm not well acquainted with wills or legal stuff, but my brother told me I should at least have something in my wallet or papers indicating what my final wishes are, otherwise I'd risk losing my possessions to the government, and that would be most unpleasant. I can draw up something and provide my brother, good friend, and good neighbor a copy, and between the 3 of them I'm sure my wishes will be attended to. Thanks for your well-wishes for Elvis and me LJ, with any luck at all we'll both be here for awhile yet, and I hope the same for you! 8)
8)
just bob

Post by just bob »

I’d like to tell you about my dog Hunter. I’ve read somewhere that yelling at your dog causes trauma. If Hunter could talk the first thing he would likely say to you is that he is hungry and the second thing would be that he is traumatized …… highly traumatized in fact. He has received the bulk of this trauma from trying to do human like activities such as helping to carry in groceries or mopping the kitchen floor. He just doesn’t seem to understand that he is a dog in a human’s world.
When this first picture was taken Hunter was in the glory of his youth bounding around like a kangaroo and was constantly on the trail of something, though I was never quite sure what he was hunting, he was always hunting. We spent hours together on trails and in wooded areas exploring together. Each day and each piece of trash littered along the way was such an object of curiosity for him. It must be examined, sniffed, and in most cases peed on. I suppose he was marking it as his own? By watching him I have developed such an increased awe of nature and life itself. Each day is an opportunity to experience new wonders. We basically walk the same woods and trails, but each day they change ever so slightly. Perhaps there is litter there today that wasn’t there yesterday and if so it must be examined to determine where it came from and if it is a threat or edible. There is always new in the ordinary you just have to look to find it.
Do dogs have a sense of humor? I sometimes wonder because Hunter seemed to delight in laughter and would wait until I was almost sound asleep in the recliner and bound from the floor into my lap, quickly licking me on the mouth and scat away as if wanting to be chased. However his funniest moment wasn’t intended as humor at all, but turned out to be that way. I was leaving to run errands one hot summer morning when the company that pumps the septic tanks pulled up and said I was on the schedule for today. I went and put Hunter in the house and gave them access to the backyard. As it turned out they were finishing up just as I came back in. They said they were done and only had 2 puddles of sludge to clean up in the backyard at where the hoses were connected together. I told them that it was so hot that they need not worry about it and that the hot sun would evaporate it quickly. They went on their way and I turned Hunter loose in the backyard to go about his day. At some point in the late afternoon I went to the backyard gate and was greeted by Hunter who was wagging his tail like a windshield wiper in a rain storm and covered in sludge from his nose to his tail. He was blacker than the ace of spades and seemed very delighted in the new stench that enveloped him. All he needed was a prom date to complete the occasion. A garden hose shower in the backyard would remove most of the black from him but the stench would linger for days. I would look at him as if to say “you stink” and he would gaze back as if to say “what’s the matter?” Thankfully it eventually went away.
As the years passed Father Time began to exact a toll on the lithe body of Hunter and his activity level waned a bit. He still liked to ride in the truck and was as anxious as ever to get on the walking trail. Although the walks now would require more frequent breaks and take longer. The summer sun became his enemy and he sought refuge from it, The hot dog days of August were especially uncomfortable to anyone wearing a fur coat. I could sense in him a longing for the cooler weather of fall that lay just ahead.
He also became a big hit at a place called Weenee World. He would sit, shake, bark, or beg, so long as the end reward was a pup-cup he was happy to entertain; he could down one of those dairy treats faster than Joey Chestnut could eat a hot dog. Depending on who was working that day he didn’t have to pay. It was on the house. He also enjoyed laying in the shade on cool evenings at the local duck pond. The ducks seemed able to perceive that he was no longer a threat to them and came to accept him as a frequent visitor.
The end came rather abruptly for Hunter. It was the sniffles, a cough, and not eating his usual meals that warranted a trip to the vet. From there it was blood work, x-rays, a trip to a pet clinic, and a diagnosis of lymphoma that was followed by a suggested treatment plan of chemo, radiation, and steroids. They also told me that I should be aware at the outset that Hunter had an enlarged heart and wasn’t really an ideal candidate for treatment. I just asked myself what I would want done for me if I was in his situation and decided to celebrate the 14 plus years of life Hunter had been given. We spent the last few days watching old westerns, sleeping side by side on the floor, and snacking on Slim - Jims. When his abdomen filled with fluid it was time to take a final road trip. They were great. It wasn’t nearly as grotesque as I had imagined it would be. He was sedated and went into a deep sleep and never woke up. I rubbed his ears through the entire process. They gave me his ashes in a tin. I suspect if Hunter had known he would end up in an urn by hanging out with me he would have run off a long time ago.
Like you I have read about those pearly gates and streets of gold and I long to behold their splendor, but in my heart I am hoping that eternity also affords the opportunity to wonder aimlessly in springtime meadows bedazzled with the colors of a rainbow in full bloom. There beside me will most likely be my old pal Hunter steeping in septic sludge and as glorious as ever reborn with the vigor of his youth. Free to roam eternally.
Attachments
new dog.jpg
weenee.jpg
pond.jpg
plaque.JPG
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Bob! I was unable to discern from your post if Hunter's passing was a recent event, or if he's just been on your mind lately. Either way, you're obviously thinking about him, and the good and bad times you guys shared. I know for myself, that when I think about when my cat Elvis won't be with me any longer, I feel panic and dismay, and need to immediately try to think of more pleasant things, which isn't easy. The same thing happens when I see or hear of an animal being mistreated, any animal. The animals that enter our lives become much more than just a pet, they become friends and members of the family, so it's very difficult to treat them as anything less, and who would want to anyway. I guess about all I can say is, enjoy your memories of your pal, and know that he's likely in a much better place, and with any luck at all, someday you'll see him again. God bless the both of you! 8) BTW, have you ever considered being a poet, you'd make a good one! ::handshake::
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

just Bob, Thank you for telling us about Hunter. You made him come to life for us.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

just bob, your account of your buddy Hunter was a great read. I enjoy reading how dogs have reacted to their humans through their short lives.
On his last day you mentioned rubbing his ears as the drug did it's peaceful job. That reminded me of a time when it was the end of the trail for a old red Basset hound that belonged to our oldest daughter.
The old gal had aged a lot and our daughter brought her home to die on the farm, to live her last days with some freedom, not being a house dog in a subdivision. When "the day" finally came I was instructed to take her back to the vet. In all my years I had never done this before. Such as this always ended the old way, the .22 way, which was always difficult. The family figured the old red Basset hound, with the 23 inch ear span, deserved a better send off. The vet came out to the truck and administered the shot in her front leg while I stroked those big, long soft ears. The vet knew the dog and he agreed it was time and during those hard minutes he told me an amusing story about dog ears.
He knew I needed a bit of cheering up so he told me this tale: Several years before, when his son was just a little feller, he was docking the ears of a Doberman. His young son was with him as he did the job and Doc gave him the cut off pieces saying,"Put these in your pocket and we'll make some ear sandwiches when we get home." I kinda looked up at Doc and with a twinkle in his eye, he said his wife found them in the laundry several days later. ::woot:: Made me smile as I read about you rubbin' Hunter's ears.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:58 am Bob! I was unable to discern from your post if Hunter's passing was a recent event, or if he's just been on your mind lately. Either way, you're obviously thinking about him, and the good and bad times you guys shared. I know for myself, that when I think about when my cat Elvis won't be with me any longer, I feel panic and dismay, and need to immediately try to think of more pleasant things, which isn't easy. The same thing happens when I see or hear of an animal being mistreated, any animal. The animals that enter our lives become much more than just a pet, they become friends and members of the family, so it's very difficult to treat them as anything less, and who would want to anyway. I guess about all I can say is, enjoy your memories of your pal, and know that he's likely in a much better place, and with any luck at all, someday you'll see him again. God bless the both of you! 8) BTW, have you ever considered being a poet, you'd make a good one! ::handshake::

Thank you for the kind words. Hunter was a very recent loss. I just went and picked up his ashes this week. I wanted to share my experience with other so they might know they are not alone.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....this is really hard to read......we have lived here since 1965, and have 13 graves in the back yard....it's like losing a family member...............
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Just Bob...Thank you for humbly and emotionally sharing your story about Hunter and your loving time and memories with us. I have no doubt how hard that was to write about, yet...having a desire to release your thoughts and share. As already mentioned, our loving Furry Friends are always hard to 'let go', but the memories we have of what they provided to us during their lifetime will forever be held in our hearts. Many of us here fully understand the heaviness of heart you are experiencing.
LJ

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Just Bob, Thanks for sharing that story of Hunter. I can’t recount again the two losses we have experienced in the past year, but it was a similar send off that you described. I had my boy Kobi, who was a golden retriever, cremated. My plan is to have his ashes buried with me, that’s what I have told my wife and kids. I’m afraid I will live long enough that more ashes will be added at some time in the future from the dogs we have currently. I find myself telling my dogs that they have to outlive me. Losing these dogs is a heart wrenching experience. I too hope to see my Kobi and Maddie waiting for me when my time comes.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Mostly True Stories”