RVN: A FINAL TALE/ PART 1

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

RVN: A FINAL TALE/ PART 1

Post by Quick Steel »

PART 1

If I had to pick the most memorable operation of my experience it would have to be this one. Also, it was my most important fight as it involved the rescue of 12 Americans against long odds. And therein lies the tale. But I must begin with a
digression, necessary to understand the events to come.

The star of this battle is an aircraft called the C-130 Hercules, or the Herc for short. The NVA had other names for it, mostly unrepeatable in polite company. One tolerable name they used was the Night Dragon. We affectionally called it "Spooky." The Herc is still used today and as far as I can see will fly till the end of time. It has an immensely strong air frame with engines allowing this large 4 engine aircraft to land and take off in short distances and utilize very rough landing strips. It has been used for years to transport troops and supplies. The Israelis used Hercs to conduct their famous rescue of hostages at Entebbe airport in Uganda.

But in Vietnam a new role emerged. The Herc was used as an awesome, very awesome, gunship. Openings were cut in the sides of the plane and various weapons were deployed including a special 105 mm. cannon. But the real muscle of the aircraft was a large electrically fired machine gun with rotating barrels. I think there were 6 barrels on the gun. Might have been 5. Up in the cockpit the pilot had a special sight which enabled him to direct the gunfire with amazing precision. He could do this as easily at night as in the day. Spooky was most commonly used at night since it flew low making it suseptible to enemy fire.

One of the most impressive sights that combat provides takes place when those multi-barrels start spinning at high speed, spewing bullets in vast amounts, thousands of rounds a minute. An example: on a single pass taking about 5 seconds,Spooky can deliver bullets into every square foot of a football field. The sound of this great gun is that of a malevolent buzz saw. It is a sound terrifying to the enemy and delightful to me.

It is also visually spectacular as the weapon fires "tracer rounds." These are bullets that have a chemical element which burns red at the base of the bullet. This permits observers, above all the pilot, to see where the bullets are going. The effect is created of a red river of fire reaching down from the heavens destroying all it touches. Dragon Fire. The icing on the cake is that I could speak directly with the pilot. Our radios were sympatico. As you may recall, with other Air Force units I had to work through a Forward Air Controller.

I won't apologize for going into all this detail about an airplane as it is essential to understanding the fight. Without Spooky on my side that long ago night I wouldn't be here now. Am I grateful to Spooky and its crew? You can bet on that.

The Mission.

That morning I had returned to our regimental headquarters outside of Song Mao after two weeks in "the boonies." So I was kicking back, getting some sleep. About 2 p.m. I was awoken by an excited clerk telling me I needed to get over to the office. He looked worried.

Entering the office, I saw Col.L. He too looked worried. He quickly explained that a LRRP team was under attack by a large NVA unit; was it a platoon, a company, a battalion? No one knew. A LRRP team is a Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol consisting of 12 men. Their job is to sneak around and discover whatever they can about the enemy; not primarily to fight, but to gather intelligence. The LRRP team was from a task force of the 101st Airborne stationed at Phan Tiet.

[I always felt that the LRRP teams were too large for their assignment. It is a lot easier to be sneaky and unobserved with 2 or 3.]

I was instructed to take a company of ARVN and get the Americans out. I would have about 100 men. I cannot overemphasize how bizarre this situation was. ARVN did not rescue Americans. Americans rescue Americans. No American senior officer would ask for ARVN help unless the situation was desperate. Such was this situation. There were no available U.S. units. All were engaged elsewhere throughout the Province. Furthermore, the enemy was in so close that the LRRPS couldn't call for artillery support.

And my counterpart, Diep, was elsewhere, as was my ARVN interpreter. In fact every experienced ARVN officer was gone for the day attending a conference of some kind. It would be me and Sgt. B. The CO of the ARVN company would be a very new Lt. with no experience. This made me unhappy. It would also prove to make his troops unhappy.

A long string of helicopters were arriving to pick us up. I had a very bad feeling about the situation. In my experience, when missions were put on with great urgency, with people running in every direction, with no planning.....well, those missions commonly turned out badly. No time to study the map, just pile on the Hueys and go, go, go.

The atmospherics were terrible. Virtually every day in Binh Tuan province was bright and sunny. Not this day. I remember that everything was hazy, dull. Normally, when the helicopters reached their flying altitude the air would be cool. Not today. We were flying low, maybe 100' above the treetops. The air remained hot and thick. There was an odd grey cast to everything. I briefly noted all this but didn't spend time thinking about it. I was more concerned with the ARVN soldiers crammed into the Huey with me. They did not look their usual confident, even jaunty, selves. They were scared. They knew that if they, the ARVN, were going to the rescue of Americans the situation must be terrible. And so it was.

On the radio, the leader of the LRRPS reported he now had one man dead or KIA (killed in action). Further, all of the remaining 11 team members were wounded in varying degrees of seriousness. Every one of them. I could hear shooting through the microphone.

I made sure not to show it, but I had to make an extra effort to suppress my imagination and stay focused. The Hueys descended. There was no LZ. The vegetation was not too thick at all; perhaps half an acre that was fairly open. Unfortunately, the Hueys could not touch down because of the very unusual terrain the likes of which I had never encountered neither before nor since. The open area was covered with steep-sided small hills averaging maybe 15' in height. Not enough room for a Huey to set down between them. The ground was filled with these steep little bumps, these pimples on the land.

The Hueys had to come in one at a time and we had to jump out on to the steeply angled slopes, a drop of maybe 12 feet with all our gear. But that was not the worst thing. I was in the lead Huey. As we came down the helicopters became the subject of the enemies attention. Bullets started cracking thru the aluminum walls. I and another soldier jumped at the same time. He impacted and rolled down the slope. I jumped just as I had been taught: knees bent, feet apart. I held my rifle forward for balance. As still more men rolled down the hills I landed upright and steady almost on top of one of those big bumps. I felt just a momentary bit of elation at remaining upright thinking something like, "We can do this."

Or maybe not. As the Hueys came in one at a time, with agonizing slowness trying to maintain a hover, they were all getting hit. And out of each chopper at least one soldier was being injured by jumping: broken ankle or leg, dislocated shoulder etc. It would take manpower to look after these injured. Those already on the ground I was distributing into a circle.

I had about one platoon on the ground, maybe 30 men. I had to make a decision. I knew in my bones that we were about to have a helicopter go down. It was amazing it had not yet happened.

I chose to wave off the remaining helicopters carrying another 80 men. I couldn't spare men to defend a crashed chopper and look after dead and wounded. Whatever we were going to do we would have to do with the 30. I found out later that this decision really shook up both my senior, Col. L, and Col. A. who was leader of the 101st task force. Both were of course listening on the radio. In fact as I later learned every radio in the province was soon monitoring our situation as word spread.

to be continued
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: RVN: A FINAL TALE/ PART 1

Post by Paladin »

QS, Don't keep us waiting too long. My pucker strings are all getting stretched.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

:lol: :lol: ::nod:: ::nod:: :lol: :lol:
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

PART 2

With the arrival of night several considerations arose. Shooting becomes more sporadic because the flash of the rifle shot reveals one's location; on both sides. Next, I have to consider what I judge to be a fair possibility. It is that both the LRRP team and my platoon of ARVN may get overrun. It is clear that we are heavily outnumbered tho I have no way of determining by how much. The other factor that might encourage an assault is that the NVA are mixed in close to us. They wouldn't have to cover much ground to reach us.

I get on the radio and talk quietly with Col.L. He agrees with my assessment and that now is the time to make some provision for the eventuality of being overrun. Although there is a firebase (with artillery) within range, I have not been able to call for fire support because of how close we are to the enemy. However, if the LRRPs and the ARVN are getting overrun then I suggest we make arrangements. I learn that a navy cruiser is in the area. We are about 5 miles inland from the sea. So upon my call (thru relay not directly), the naval guns will join those canons at the firebase and rain down destruction on every inch of the map grid we are occupying. That means all of us, friendlies and enemies will perish. This denies the NVA any victory and we would have been killed in any event upon being overrun.

Col L, "I'll discuss it with Col. A. Are you sure you want to do this?" I answer "I am sure I do not want to do this. But I need alternatives. Can you get me a Spooky?" He replies, "I'll see if anything is available out of Phan Rang, but they all may be committed elsewhere."

Time passes slowly. The enemy must be without a weapons section. There have been no mortar or RPG attacks. In the distance, I eventually hear the engines of an aircraft. The pilot comes up on my frequency. It is Spooky.

My first order of business is to dial in Spooky on the situation and specifically the location of the good guys and bad guys. First I need to mark my location. I have a small but very intense flashing strobe light designed to be quickly seen from the air. But if I turn it on the NVA will see it and know exactly where to shoot. The solution is easy enough. I borrow an M-79 grenade launcher from one of the ARVN. This weapon has a big fat tube that receives a single 40 mm. grenade. It's sort of like a very short but huge shotgun barrel. Well, instead of a grenade I insert my stobe light into the tube, point the barrel towards the sky and turn on the strobe. The pilot above sees it perfectly but the barrel shrouds the light from ground observation.

I explain that from the light my ARVN are in a circle with a radius of about 70 feet. I then describe the distances to the LRRPs and to the enemy. If the NVA do not act quickly they are going to lose their best opportunity.

Once I am sure the pilot is clear on the ground situation it is time to go to work. I always have Spooky do a few test bursts at a fair distance then have him walk his fire in closer and closer. Thus the first bursts were several hundred meters away. Then I had him move his fire closer, 300m., 250 neters, and at 200 meters I had him traverse back and forth from east to west. The buzz saw buzzed while that seemingly solid red river moved like a hose watering someone's lawn. I had Spooky drop another 50m. to a range of 150, then to 100. Only 300 feet away from us and the LRRPs who were on line with us.

At this point the NVA made a terrible mistake. Perhaps out of anger or fear or probably both some started shooting at Spooky. While we used red tracers the NVA used green tracers which we now witnessed reaching skyward towards the Dragon. This of course instantly revealed the position of at least some of the NVA to Spooky who takes offense at being shot upon. The buzz saw buzzed, the barrels spun, red death engulfed the shooters. Thousands of bullets smashed thru the tree tops and vegetation. And thru the NVA, just a couple of hundred feet from us.

I checked with the LRRP Lt. to make sure the bullets were not striking too closely to his position. They were fine.

With the deadly traversing by Spooky, only an occasional shot rings out. The intensity of the battlefield has fallen from a 10 to a 1. Good old Spooky. Now at this point the remaining NVA will be running away. Maybe not quite running as they always drag off as many of their killed as possible. But one way or another the NVA are certainly leaving.

I have Spooky start traversing at ever greater distances from us as the NVA flee. 200m., 300m, 500m, 800m: Spooky is full-throated as he sends the enemy scurrying for safety.

Another Spooky arrives to relieve the first one who must refuel and rearm. It is still dark, about 4 A.M.

Spooky #1 briefs Spooky #2 then I chime in and make sure he has sussed out the situation accurately. I explain: The largest number of NVA who came at us from the North are clearly all dead, dying or running. But in the small distance between me and the LRRP team to my west there remains a pocket of enemy soldiers. They could not make their escape as they would have had to move towards and thru the Dragon's fire. I wish they would go back to Hanoi but they give every indication of staying right where they are at. They will have to be dealt with.

I carefully explained to the ARVN Lt. that at daylight we must fight our way thru to the LRRPs. That is our duty. While waiting, I apprised my chain of command of the situation. Then we concentrated on collecting and helping the wounded ARVN as best we could.

As day broke, Col.L tells me to wait. Cobra gunships (armed helicopters) were going to clear the area for us. I would have preferred Spooky-much more accurate-but with daylight Spooky 2 had to leave. There was lots of radio traffic as I tried to dissuade the use of Cobras. The distance between the ARVN, the NVA and the LURRPs was simply too tight. Friendly fire was always a strong possibility. I much preferred clearing the area with the infantry we had on the ground.

Nevertheless, the decision was made and the Cobras approached. I had yellow smoke grenades go off around our perimeter. I told the Lt. to check and be absolutely sure his men were within the circle of smoke. He went to check. I explained to the Cobras how very close we were. They were to machine gun and rocket a stretch of vegetation outside of our perimeter 200 meters by 400 meters. I emphasized that if they fired outside that box by even a foot they would be shooting friendlies.

4 Cobras in line banked and bore in for their runs. The first one came in guns and rockets blazing. I immediately yelled into the radio to "check fire." "Abort the @#!!%@# mission." The run was way to close. One of my ARVN was killed.

Just that first run did inspire the remaining NVA to break from cover and run for their lives. We hurried them along with bullets and grenades. A couple of them went down.

Now the distance was clear; we entered the thick woods to find our LRRPS. I started shouting "Chicago, Illinois, the state capital is Springfield. For God's sake don't ask me baseball questions!" I heard a response and moved towards it. Sgt.B says, "Be careful sir."

I find a tight circle of bloodied LURPS: 1 KIA all others wounded as reported. As I shake hands with the LT. he has tears running down his face. Others do as well. I apologize for taking so long to reach him. He is just grateful.

Placing troops on both our flanks we form a slow column with the ARVN helping the wounded back to our original landing location were "dust offs" (medical Hueys) pick them up. The pilots had found an adequate space at the edge of our area where they could almost touch down. The dead American was a big man, a Sargent, and the first American KIA I saw in Viet Nam. He was gently placed in a Huey along side the much smaller ARVN who had been killed. May they both be enjoying the peace they missed in this life.

End
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thank you, Sir. ::handshake:: You were truly blessed in your service to our country!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank God for air support.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

QS the intensity of your stories is over whelming. ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Treefarmer you are right. And I have never forgotten how blessed I was and am.

And Jerry I thanked God many times for the air support I receied.

doglegg, Thank you. The only way to explain that is to say it was a fairly intense year for me. :)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Once again I thank you for your service.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Excellent, just excellent! Thank you so much for your service and for the sacrifices you made.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Glad you made it home, Quick Steel.

That brings back memories of the C-47 and the C- 130. They were amazing.
Joe
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Riveting QS. Thanks again for your service and a prayer of remembrance (and thanks) to those who gave all.

Some time lapse photos of "Spooky" in action...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... Newsletter
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

GS, if this is the final tale I for one am disappointed. Thank you for sharing. ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

FRJ, As I understand the sequence, the C-47s were the first gun ships, then the AC-130 Hercs-my era But as we left NAM we took all the modified Hercs and left the ARVNs with modified "Flying Boxcars." I don't know the proper nomenclature for these.

Doc B, Thank you for posting those amazing photos of Spooky in action. So deadly, yet beautiful.

doglegg, Thank you but yes, this winds it up for me. Its all I've written for members of my clan. There were many other encounters but they all sort of blur together. Hard to differentiate.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I looked forward to these, thanks for the posts.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Yet another incredibly tense and well-worded story.
Thank You !!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Samb1955. Glad you found them interesting.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Holy Moly QS!!!
This is one of the most famous "Extraction" battles from Nam. And you led it! Sure is a small world. Thank you for you service, thank God for the Spookies, and HIM for protecting and watching over you and all the men.
Edit: Thank you Jerry for correcting me! It is one of the ones I remember best from my war studies. Top and front of my Fibro Foggy mind because I just watched a movie on air power from WWI, WWII, Korea, Nam, ect. Sorry about that fellers! I hope and ask for forgiveness if I offended any of you. I salute you all and God for your service, which has allowed me to grow up in the freest nation (Nations) the world has ever seen.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

? Willy, PM sent.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

WillyCamaro wrote:Holy Moly QS!!!
This is literally the most famous battle from Nam. And you led it! Sure is a small world. Thank you for you service, thank God for the Spookies, and HIM protecting and watching over you and all the men.
Not to take anything away from Garry's story but you've never heard of the Battle of Ia Drang, Battle for Hue, Battle of Khe Sanh, The Tet Offensive, Operation Rolling Thunder or the Battle of Hamburger Hill? For those with boots on ground, I can only guess that every battle they participated in was important to those involved.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....great, riveting stories!!!!............ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..............
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Incredible story QS.
steve99f
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

QS,
Thanks for sharing your experiences with total strangers here.
I enjoy reading your stories. Perhaps they will make it into book form some day. I would love to have a copy.

Thanks again for your service.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you all for your favorable reception of these experiences. Greatly appreciated, more so than you can know.
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

Spooky saved our Bacon a few times. Q.S. I know you can relate, I have some ARVN weapons for sale.Never fired and only Droped one time. :roll:
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)

Return to “Mostly True Stories”