My Friend Josi

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My Friend Josi

Post by orvet »

This is a picture of my dog Josi setting on my lap. It was taken around Thanksgiving this year.

My wife took this picture of Josi and I around Thanksgiving, 2018
My wife took this picture of Josi and I around Thanksgiving, 2018

She was about 12 ½ years old in this picture. She was born in our house; we had a pair of purebred Lhasa Apsos, Maggie & Gus, and they had one litter of pups. One of the puppies became very ill with puppy strangles; I believe it’s a virus similar to strep throat. The puppy had to be isolated from the other pups because she was contagious. She had blisters in her throat and around her eyes. She lost a lot of hair on her muzzle and around her eyes. She was about five weeks old and a 3 pound ball of fluff. I kept her with me so she didn’t infect the rest of the letter and gave her medicine three or four times a day. When I lay down to take a nap she would sleep on my chest. Before I knew it, I belonged to her! I hadn’t planned on keeping a pup from the litter, but Josi decided she was staying with us because I belonged to her!

We ended up keeping one more pup from the litter, her name is Sami and she’s my wife’s dog. After having a litter of pups Maggie decided she wanted absolutely nothing to do with Gus ever again and she treated him like a pariah. Poor Gus was heartbroken he really was a gentle dog, quite unusual for an intact male Lhasa Apso. Maggie had been trained as a companion dog and one of my coworkers from the Vet Center needed a companion dog; she was a perfect fit for him. So Gus, Josi and Sami lived with my wife and I. My wife worked until last year, so I spent most of my days with Josi, Gus & Sami. When I went somewhere Josi was the one who rode in the car with me. She became my shadow and protector, and she became very stressed out if I was not home.
Gus, in his favorite chair.
Gus, in his favorite chair.
Gus on the left, Sami in the center and Josi on the right
Gus on the left, Sami in the center and Josi on the right
Last year we discovered Josie had cancer; there was a little lump on her foot and the people at Oregon State Veterinary School found the lump. It would’ve been easy to treat her the conventional way by amputating her foot, except she had a bad back with a bulging disc that happened when she and Gus were playing tug-of-war in our backyard with a possum. She was so proud every time she got a possum she would literally smile ear to ear, as if to say “Look what I did dad! Aren’t you proud of me? It was fun!”
Because of the back injury amputation was not an option. We been purchased the cart for her to use when her back was really bad, but she did not like it. I took her to water therapy, basically she walked treadmill while she was about chest deep in water. That really seemed to help her get stronger. The vet told us that the type of cancer she had often did not metastasize and that she might never have any problem with it.

Unfortunately, the cancer did metastasize and went into her liver. About two weeks before Christmas she got sick, but our daughter’s dog was sick too and the vet said it was canine flu. We treated Josi and she got well and had a good appetite. On December 18 I noticed she was not drinking very much. So I called the vet to get her in the next day. They did some blood work and gave her an IV and said she had an infection in her liver. They ordered some antibiotic to be delivered the next day. By the next morning it was obvious to my wife and I that Josi had decided she had enough of this life. She refused to eat and she refused to drink. I took her to the vet Thursday morning and they give her an IV and said “she’s laboring to breathe. This is not good.” “Would you like us to take care of her like we did Gus?” I said “yes.”

Our veterinarian is the most wonderful vet in the world. She is from New York, Long Island I believe, and she and her sister run the best very clinic in town, as far as I’m concerned. Marsh is the veterinarian and her sister Susan is the assistant. We were one of their first clients when they open their doors and they consider us “family.” In spite of having a very busy day on Thursday, December 20 they told us to bring Josi back at 3: 30 in the afternoon and they would be ready for us.
They cleared their schedule for the afternoon and rearranged the appointments so my wife and I and our dogs with the ones in the clinic.
They took their time and let us have time with Josi, giving her a sedation that didn’t completely knock her out but allowed her to hear us. So we talked to her and petted her and rubbed her tummy, which she just loved.
They put a nice bed on the operating table that covered her with a blanket and administered oxygen to her because her breathing was becoming more labored. As the drugs begin to take effect they told us, “okay she is unconscious now, she cannot hear you.” It was just shortly after that that the doctor gave her the shot that ended her suffering.
They laid her in the bed on the floor so that our other two dogs could see that she was gone and not grieve as much. This seemed to help our dogs. There were lots of tears from my wife and I and the doctor and her sister. Josi was the second dog that Marsha and Susan had euthanized for us this year, both of them were very tearful yet they handled it with such grace, faith and dignity that I would not take the dog to any other veterinarian as long as Marsha is still practicing veterinary medicine.

We are blessed to have such good friends that are veterinarians and I was certainly blessed to belong to Josi!
Josi always wanted to go with me in the truck. She knew everywhere I hid treats from her too.
Josi always wanted to go with me in the truck. She knew everywhere I hid treats from her too.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Friend Josi

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Dale, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I couldn’t read that without tears in my own eyes. I am sure many others will share your sadness. Our dogs become a part of the family and it’s almost as hard as losing a member of the family. We have been where you are and will be there again soon with our 13 year old golden retriever who is failing more every day. Thank you for sharing your sorrow. Hold onto the memories and be grateful for all the time you had together.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dale, a very touching account of a special friend. A tough decision I've made way too many times over the years. The last one our vet put down was an almost solid red Bassett, she had a 23" ear span. He and I each stroked one of her long silky ears as she breathed her last. It's good to share your pup's life with your AAPK family. ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Dale I'm sorry for your loss. Its never easy to lose a friend.
David
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Dale, sorry for your loss.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I'm sorry to read this, Dale. May your friend rest in peace.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Dale, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I couldn’t read that without tears in my own eyes.
Mark
Tears here, too, Brother in Arms. My schnauzer Jenny and I are pretty tight and it is going to be very hard when the day comes. She is going on 14, plumb deaf and some sight loss, but she still has her priorities straight (lol You know what I mean). I hope they treat me as well at the end as you have treated your loved ones. ::tu::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Sorry for your loss Dale. Hard to lose a friend like that. Been there done that unfortunately.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Animals bring a truly special thing, in to our lives. They definitely become family. We had to put our cat of 16 years, down, this month, too.
I do believe I get attached to dogs, more! Sorry, for your loss.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Very sorry to read about your loss Dale. It hits especially hard since earlier today I got the sad news that my 13 year old Lab, hunting companion and "ranch hand", Gracie, has cancer and limited time left. The tumor is on her liver and is inoperable. Sometime in the not too distant future we will be taking that same journey.

My deepest sympathy for you and your wife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Dale my heart aches for you. I know how much you love your dogs and that she was special to you. Thank you for belonging to her for all those years and for all the love and kindness you gave her.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Dale, thank you for sharing your loss with us. The ability of two distinct species loving each other is a phenomenon and a blessing. There are elements of mystery about it too which, I am confident, will be resolved in our future life. For now it is enough to recall the gifts of joy and love our pets have provided. Peace my friend.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Very sorry to read about your loss Dale. It hits especially hard since earlier today I got the sad news that my 13 year old Lab, hunting companion and "ranch hand", Gracie, has cancer and limited time left. The tumor is on her liver and is inoperable. Sometime in the not too distant future we will be taking that same journey.

My deepest sympathy for you and your wife.

Ken

My thoughts are with you also my friend. To both of you, I have been down this road. Last time a year ago suddenly with my Lab. Horrible every time. My thoughts are with you.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys, we appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I know many of you have been down the same road recently. This was the second time this year that we had to put down one of our beloved Lhasas.
We still have Sami, Josi's littermate and we have Zoe, a Havanese and poodle mix. She is almost 9 months and since Josi is gone she seems to have adopted me. When I am working in the shop she will come out every now and then just to see what I'm doing. If I'm setting in the recliner watching TV she will come and set in my lap. She is even started taking naps on my lap. It's kind of amazing to me, that the Lord made dogs to take care of us. I think for some people the love of a dog is their first experience with unconditional love.
As someone told me recently, "dog is God spelled backwards."
Dale
AAPK Administrator

zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I’m very sorry for your loss. At the same time, I’m glad to read that your Josi had such a peaceful last day. That’s the best you could have done for her. You can be at peace about it.

I read it with a lapful of almost thirteen year old cat. He had a cancer operated on in the spring. Lucky for him, it isn’t likely to come back or to have spread. Little begger cost me $1000 but there was no question about getting it done. The fur balls are family. I just hope that when it is his time, I can handle it with the same courage you’re showing.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

zoogirl wrote: The fur balls are family. I just hope that when it is his time, I can handle it with the same courage you’re showing.
Thank you. I found a good vet helps a bunch.
I think loosing 2 much beloved dogs in 2018 the Lord's way of preparing me for next year; my mother has been on hospice care most of the year and the hospice nurses worry more about my dad than my mom and dad isn't even their patient!
If they live to mid-June they will celebrate their 70th Wedding Anniversary. I don't know if they will make to June or not, each one lives to care for the other one and when one goes I think the other one will go soon after.
I drove down to visit them Thursday and they are doing surprisingly well for 89 yrars and on hospice! ::shrug::

Thanks again y'all for your prayers and support! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......dale, over the last 64 years , I have been thru this more times than I want to remember. 3 of my dogs have lived to be over 15 years old(2 over 18) and when you lose one after that many years, it's like losing a family member!!...... ::handshake:: .................
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

My prayers and heart felt condolences my friend. Our four legged furry family members are close to our hearts and losing one is difficult. I'm sorry for your loss....
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Dale,
Sorry for your loss. Believe me when I say I understand the sadness that comes with having to put a friend down.
For some reason while reading this my monitor blurred up really bad.
My best to you and your wife,
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very sorry to hear this Dale. Losing our pets is never easy. I recently lost my Golden, Ginger after 13 1/2 years. We surely miss them.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

btrwtr wrote:Very sorry to hear this Dale. Losing our pets is never easy. I recently lost my Golden, Ginger after 13 1/2 years. We surely miss them.
Wayne

Very sorry to hear about Ginger my friend. If it is any solace I am sure she lived a good and obviously long life. Doesn't make it any easier when they go for sure. You will be reunited some day...

Take care. Regards, Jerry
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Always difficult to lose a dog. Dale, I'm heartily sorry for the loss of Josi.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Sorry for your lost, it's as hard as loosing a family member. I've had to put a couple dogs down and it was so hard that I don't want anymore pets.

Return to “Mostly True Stories”