The Story of the Old Boat

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: The Story of the Old Boat

Post by terryl308 »

Dale, sorry, I'm just now getting around to reading your story about your friend Paul and the ole boat. Great story! Let me know how the memorial service goes, I'm sure you will do just fine. I too have many stories to tell about boats and good friends. Good friends are hard to replace so the good Lord left us with good memories I guess. I have lost 3 of my old hunting and fishing buddies but still can remember the good times. Keep the faith friend, sincerely Terry Landenberger ::handshake::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Terry, I will be leaving next week for Florida.
Since my kids were so close to him, especially my boys, we are talking about my kids, my wife and I having our own memorial service here in Oregon also. I think that will be good.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

orvet wrote:Thanks guys, I appreciate your condolences, well wishes and prayers.
I had intended to post some pictures of Paul in the original post and something happened, I was a bit rushed and forgot to post them.

These pictures are from the trip to Lake Hebgen Montana in 2011. It was still a little cold there early in the season. You notice in some of the pictures we are bundled up and sometimes wearing gloves however, there were a couple of nice days also.

Paul Lake Hebgen MT a.jpg

Paul Lake Hebgen MT b.jpg

Paul Lake Hebgen MT c.jpg

Paul &; Bob Lake Hebgen MT.jpg

Lake Hebgen brown trout.jpg

It was a fun trip for good memories. It was a family tradition that Bob took Paul and his brother Eric to Lake Hebgen every spring for a fishing trip. It was quite an honor to be invited. This turned out to be the last trip that they made to Lake Hebgen; Bob was too ill the following year and passed away sometime shortly thereafter.
..dale, just re-read this and looking at the picture of you holding up the trout I noticed that looks an awful lot like a FENWICK rod???...am I right???.... ::tu:: .............
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You got good eyes! :shock: ::tu::
20190522_163840-1.jpg
You're absolutely right, it's a Fenwick! ::nod::
It's really a shallow crankbait rod but I find it works really good as a trolling rod. I can't use a baitcaster very well because of all of the surgeries on my left hand. I certainly don't have the strength and flexibility in that hand with the fused wrist to be able to cast a baitcaster with my left hand.
I can reel it okay with my left hand but my coordination with baitcaster has never been good even casting with my right hand. So I pretty much don't use a baitcaster in bass fishing, I use spinning reels. However, I can flip and pitch, roll cast and do pretty much anything with spinning reel that most bass fishermen would do with a baitcaster.

So this old Fenwick gets used whenever I go trolling, usually for trout and that only happens once every several years it seems. I'm not a huge fan anymore of trolling for trout. The last time I used this rod & reel was on that trip to Lake Hebgen in 2011, when that picture was taken.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I reread your reflections and they are just as fine as the first time. It is an interesting reality how a special material object, your boat, can have great significance in its ability to evoke important associations in our lives. For me it was a bicycle, for others it might be a car or truck, maybe a cabin, or an old shotgun etc. You are a superlative writer.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

First time read for me Dale, glad I didn't miss it. ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you Garry,
I've been reading your remembrances Vietnam and wishing I could create images with words as easily as you seem to. You are a very talented storyteller as well an outstanding writer.

I'm glad you saw it & enjoyed it dogg. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

orvet wrote:You got good eyes! :shock: ::tu::

20190522_163840-1.jpg

You're absolutely right, it's a Fenwick! ::nod::
It's really a shallow crankbait rod but I find it works really good as a trolling rod. I can't use a baitcaster very well because of all of the surgeries on my left hand. I certainly don't have the strength and flexibility in that hand with the fused wrist to be able to cast a baitcaster with my left hand.
I can reel it okay with my left hand but my coordination with baitcaster has never been good even casting with my right hand. So I pretty much don't use a baitcaster in bass fishing, I use spinning reels. However, I can flip and pitch, roll cast and do pretty much anything with spinning reel that most bass fishermen would do with a baitcaster.

So this old Fenwick gets used whenever I go trolling, usually for trout and that only happens once every several years it seems. I'm not a huge fan anymore of trolling for trout. The last time I used this rod & reel was on that trip to Lake Hebgen in 2011, when that picture was taken.
...dale, years ago, when I was really into fishing, I got a call from a guy at fenwick, and he asked me if I would like to field test rods for them, and over the years they sent me several!!, I have always been a Fenwick man!!!......... ::tu:: .......
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

They surely used to make some good rods! I think that's the last that I have before they started making them in China. I bought one that was made in China and broke it on my first fishing trip when I was fighting a fish and it wasn't a big fish either. I am convinced as is my fishing partner, that it was a defective blank. I took it back to Anderson Sporting Goods and they contacted Fenwick for me and sent me a new rod. The rod they sent me was unusable it like some sort of boat rod you might use for commercial deep sea fishing or sturgeon. It had all the flexibility of a broomstick.
I was pretty disappointed! Since then I've been using a variety of rods, mostly spinning rods for bass. Lamiglass & Loomis work pretty good, especially the Springer rods, (spring steelhead rods). I usually use a 7-foot rod or longer because of all be surgeries on my left hand, it's hard for me to set the hook with a shorter rod.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

wlf

Post by wlf »

Don’t know how I missed this Dale, loved it all. You just can’t appreciate what you have until they or it’s gone.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I want to say "Thank you" to Tommy (carrmillus) for getting our attention by asking about Dale's Fenwick rod. That got my attention and I reread this wonderful story of how friendships are supposed to work. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...TF, the way my eyesight is going, I will not be able to tell a fenwick from a pflueger in another year!!!!. ::facepalm:: ...

Return to “Mostly True Stories”