MY SISTER AND MEL GIBSON

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

MY SISTER AND MEL GIBSON

Post by Quick Steel »

Many of you will know that the late actor Paul Newman established several camps for kids with deadly illnesses. His first"Hole In The Wall Camp" was built in Conneticut. A sister of mine, Bev, went to work for Newman. She so impressed him that he sent her off to Ireland to create a camp on an estate donated by a cosmetics heir. Further evidence of Newman's esteem for her is that she is mentioned by name in his two books. Bev has a great facility for getting people to volunteer their services. The local military donated manpower and material to build bunks, room dividers, and many outdoor constructions like climbing walls. Countless locals donated bedding, utensils and the countless other necessities. Nurses and doctors had to be on hand. Kayaks were obtained. The list is hardly begun. Newman had provided little money (initially). It was pretty much up to my sister to sink or swim.

To everyone's surprise, the camp opened on time, fully staffed and with an impressive number of children. It so happened that the film Brave Heart was being filmed in the area. Mel Gibson asked if he could visit the camp with some of his "warriors," perhaps giving the children a bit of a thrill. Bev wanted to prepare the children before these fierce looking men [in full costume] entered the huge tent that served as dining hall lest they be frightened. As Gibson and crew entered [blue face paint/kilts/prop swords etc.] one little girl stood up and said, "I know how we can keep them peacefu. All of us sing the camp song." This they did, provoking tears from some of these fierce predators. I don't know how well you will recall the movie but there was a big, burly, blond haired Scot who had a featured role: having a contest with Gibson early in the film; usually shown next to Gibson; comforting his father killed in one of the last battles. Anyway, my sister said that he blubbered like a baby thereby revealing his good heart. A boy asked for Gibson's sword but a producer would not allow it. Someone would notice Gibson using a different sword in the next days shooting. Gibson promised the boy he would return the sword to him with his signature. After the shoot the sword arrived for the boy.

Gibson invited my sister and some of the camp staff to join him at the local pub. I asked Bev if Gibson had more than one drink. Discretely she replied that Mr. Gibson seemed unacquainted with the concept of a single drink. Whatever his personal problems, Mr. Gibson behaved with great generosity and concern for the children.

Today, Bev is camp director at "Camp Hors'in Around" for developmentally challenged kids. [Not a Newman affiliated camp. Before his death he donated a large pavillon for the camp. RIP. He did much good on his journey through life.]
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: MY SISTER AND MEL GIBSON

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting story. Paul Newman is one of my favorite actors. The company that markets food products under his name donates its profits to charity. In addition to movies that live on after his death, he's also still making a difference in other ways.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That's right. He started as you know with Newman's Own Salad Dressing. This became a variety. Then came a variety of tomato sauces and so forth. All profits must be distributed to various charitable foundations each year. Profits do not carry over.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Q S you've got one heck of a sister my friend. Thanks for sharing this with us here. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks. The whole family takes enormous pride in her accomplishments. And we are all a bit in awe of her. Her energy levels are off the charts, which I can attest to as I share this house with her.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very enriching story! Thanks for sharing Garry! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

As said before, a good, good story. A big saluuuute to your sister.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “Mostly True Stories”