okie fishing memories

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
dobro59

okie fishing memories

Post by dobro59 »

:) I am sure most every body has similar experiences. I remember fishing when i could barely control the cane pole, must have been when i was 3 or 4. Didn't have much patience, but dad keep taking me fishing. By the time i was 7 or 8 i had calmed down and was doing allright. Dad got me what i thought was the most wonderful invention (since ice cream) a zebco 202. Well, i knew right away i was in the big leagues now.
I found out real quick if you caught much of a fish it really gave the old 202 a workout. So, it wasn't long before i was hinting to dad that one of those 404's or 808's sure were fine reels. I dared not mention the
top of the line, chrome plated,anti reverse,bait clicker, model 33. Well dad says that 202 is just fine.
Well, by the time i was about 10 or 11 dad says your making a little money and it's about time you bought yourself a new reel.If we're going to keep this freezer stocked with fish you need something better. Well,that
kind of opened the door and i have fished with just about everkind of zebco reel made now.
It's kinda funny looking back on life's lessons. I guess dad wanted me to learn how to play the fish with that old 202 and hone my skills. At the same time i learned the value of a dollar when he had me to start buying
my own fishing gear. I still have several of dads old fishing poles in good working order.
Just a simple but true story. :)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: okie fishing memories

Post by treefarmer »

Good story, dobro!
Well done and you're right, a lot of us experienced the same thing with caring fathers who knew how to teach some of life's lessons. That's why my Dad's old pocket knives are so special to me!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....I'm still using my dad's old pflueger summit baitcasting reel...bought the year I was born-1937...still works great!!!...... ::tu:: ...............
wlf

Post by wlf »

I have very few memories that were before Daddy and me were fishing.

You can see a rudimentary artists rendition of that on my special factory order farmers jacks.
Attachments
GEC lick creek  label.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's cool, Lyle! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I too grew up fishing with my dad - the stories come back all the time. Started in a rowboat, graduated to wading the river, then after college got into fast bass boats and competitive tournament fishing. Now I play golf too much and fish way too little - have to even things out and get back into it ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “Mostly True Stories”