Meeting Robin Williams

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
just bob

Meeting Robin Williams

Post by just bob »

Meeting Robin Williams

It was in the spring of 2009. I had retired and driven to California to visit my son, Chase. He had relocated there only a few months earlier. Upon arriving we made a list of places we had to see while there and Chase said while you’re here we have to go into San Francisco and get a hot dog at What’s Up Dog! because they have the best hot dogs west of the Mississippi. As we all know you don’t have to ask a fat man to go get a hot dog twice.
Parking in San Francisco is atrocious and we had to park quite a distance from the restaurant. It was a pleasant walk and we enjoyed the architecture of the buildings and the sites. When we were near the restaurant and could read the sign we noticed a black, Mercedes Benz Land Rover pull in behind us and park on the curb. Two men got out of the vehicle and went into a bicycle shop next door to the hot dog eatery. Chase said dad that was Robin Williams. “No way’ I said he’d never be out on the streets without security. Chase said dad I’m telling you that was Robin Williams. Then he said wait here and without another word went into the bicycle shop. Guess who he came out with? Robin Williams, that’s right the real Robin Williams. Chase had told him about my recent retirement and pleaded with him to come outside and take a picture with us. The man was so gracious. He shook my hand and congratulated me on my retirement and told me that he himself would someday like to be able to retire if he could only get his finances in order. We laughed that there was such a gigantic difference in our bank statements. He also said he had just got strict orders from his doctor to exercise more and that he was down there either to get his bike fixed or purchase another one.
I was so ill at ease while we were taking pictures. I didn’t want to brush against him or inadvertently touch him and tried to watch my hands. Chase said get closer dad so I can take the picture. I think Mr. Williams sensed my apprehension and put his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. “Quick” he told Chase take the picture I’ve got him. When the picture taking was done I thanked him for all of the entertainment he had provided for us and told him I loved his movies. He seemed so flattered, though I knew he had to endure thousands of these meetings with fans each year.
The entire time we spent with Robin Williams was less than 5 minutes and he was gone. The words that best describe my memory of him are genuine and unpretentious. On that day and on that sidewalk he was a regular Joe, not a movie star or a haughty.
When I heard of his death I was overcome with sadness. A man that was so full of life and exuberance; a man with the ability to make theater audiences roll in the floor with laughter, but apparently the inability to make himself feel any of the joy he so freely gave others. So sad
Good bye my friend the world will have a few less smiles without you here.
Attachments
bp 1.jpg
bp 1.jpg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
chaseandmork.jpg
chaseandmork.jpg (63.03 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Meeting Robin Williams

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've heard several stories similar to yours over the past few days. He was a wild and crazy guy. Who can forget Mork and Mindy? I was absolutely shocked when I heard how he died. Goodbye Robin Williams. The world is a poorer place without you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buck16 »

Thanks Jerry! That story reflects exactly how I would like to remember the guy. OOPS! Sorry. I meant Bob.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

::teary_eyes:: It was for me as well very emotional when I heard the news. We all have invited him into our homes for so many years, to share his stories and to laugh at his jokes...It's like a family member has passed and the manner in which he departed makes it even more a waste and tragic loss. ::teary_eyes::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great story Bob, hanks for sharing it.

I just wonder what kind of emptiness must have been in his heart to make him so desperate to take his own life.
Very sad. The world is a poorer place without Robin.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
just bob

Post by just bob »

Heard this over the weekend and it is too good not to share. I probably won't get it just right, but you'll get the gist of it.

A guy goes in to see the doctor and says doctor I don't know what is the matter. I have more money than I can spend, my family loves me and is very supportive of me, strangers beg to shake my hand on the street and yet I am empty on the inside and I can't experience joy or true happiness. What can I do? Sensing the situation is one that can not be cured with a prescription the doctor ponders the man's condition and then gives this advise. I want you to go home, shut off the phone, lock your self into a room where you can not be disturbed and watch any Robin William's movie from start to finish without interruption. When it is over you will have a smile on your face and feel true happiness in your heart. Puzzled by the advise the patient looks at the doctor and says, but doctor I am Robin Williams.

We still miss you my friend. Also heard some words to an old song by Don Mclean that said "this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you." I hope wherever you're at you still realize the countless joy you've given to so many people.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...great story!!!...I have to watch planes, trains and automobiles 2 or 3 times each year!!!.......... ::tu:: .............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...well, I've got my movies confused again, that was john candy!!!...my favorite robin Williams movie was dead poets society!!!.......... ::facepalm:: .............
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Soooo many great movies with Robin! One that is highly underrated in my opinion is "Survivors" with Walter Matthau...he has a line in there where he is wearing big winter parka with one of those furry hoods wrapped around his head and he say..."I feel like a gynecologist for a grizzly bear!" ...cracks me up every time...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...that's another good one, mike!!!........... ::tu:: ...............
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Thanks for posting. I've never seen anyone with a "faster" wit ... he was unique. As a golfer, I watch his golf skit on youtube often - so funny. I don't have all the details on his later days, but I can tell you from family experience, cancer takes a tremendous toll and after a prolonged period, crushes the will to live for the best of us ... Robin was truly great
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Mr. Dundee :) ,I enjoyed this thread the first time I read it and no less this time.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Return to “Mostly True Stories”