When darkness falls

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Eustace

When darkness falls

Post by Eustace »

Close to my home city, in the Rhodopi mountains is the Krichim dam. Very beautiful, with clean deep waters, but dark and a little creepy. Many people have found their death in its cold waters. This story has not happened to me, but I will tell you as I have told it.
Actually, the idea came to me today. My 13 year old daughter is preparing for an English exam and asked me for a translation text. And I told this story, , and she translated it for you. I'm not responsible for the transcription errors :D
vacha_03.jpg
кричим.jpg
This is a story about the Ghoul dam. One goatherd told me the story , while I was fishing. The weather was bad, the sky cried itself, covered by a curtain of clouds, the nice rain didn't stop the whole day. Just at the peek of the evening i heard the sounds of a herd of goats, walking by on the slope just next to me. Walking out of the woods, there was a tall, skinny goatherd, around 60 years old. He was dressed with dungaree clothes, with a cap on his head.His shoulders were covered with a black rubbered sheet. He waved at me and then asked me if the fish is around. I pulled out the keepnet with a bunch of perches in it. The old man smiled and sat down on a rock next to me. We started talking. I asked him where the dark popularity of the dam came from. My acquaintance glanced at me, pulled out his box with cigarettes, lit one and after a little pause started talking: "Even before they built the wall and pooled the river, i always brought the goats here. I was your around age then, i think. There, behind that hill, there was a beautiful meadow. And in that meadow there was an old, overgrown well. Everything here is now on the bottom of this dam. One afternoon, i was with the goats. I was laying under some bush, when I heard flowing music. Bagpipes playing, as well as drums. I thought: Huh. How is there in the middle of nowhere, in this wasteland, musicians? I stood up a little, listening, but i couldn't see who was playing. All of a sudden through the leaves I saw a group of people coming from the hill. One after another. The forest was thick, bushes all around, and they were going down a goat path as though they were swimming. Their feet not touching the ground. All of them had white faces, like canvases, dressed in folk costumes, very well-dressed. Neither one of them was dirty or ragged. I was watching them from afar and they seemed very little. They looked like people, but very little, like this stump over here. Dwarves. I wasn't sure if they were even a meter tall. I hid in the bushes, scared, but curious... First were walking three bagpipe players. After them, one guy with a drum. Then, one man, frowning, with a mustache and a hat. Behind him a beautiful white bride. Young. Adorned with gold coins and very pale. Newlyweds. After them all the guests, around 50 people. And all of them one meter tall. All of them the same." Here the story-teller went silent. Seeing my curiousity he was slowing down on purpose, before he continued. "So, like I was saying - a wedding. They were walking, one after another, right towards me. Towards the meadow. I wasn't really easily scared, but then, i was terrified and speechless. I leaned into the bush even more, so they couldn't see me... They were little and scary at the same time, not saying a word. I forgot about the goats and the dog, I couldn't even move. All of a sudden it became so bright, as if the sun fell on the ground. The wedding gang all arrived at the well and suddenly all started jumping into it. First the bagpipe players, then the guy with the drum, after them all the others... The broom with the frown and the beautiful bride as well and then all the guests, not one of them stayed. Walking past me and jumping into the well. Not saying a word. I don't know how much time I stood there, everything was like a dream. I stood behind the leaves, shocked. When i came about finally, later I ran straight to the village, to my father. I was breathless, my legs not hoding me... I forgot all about the goats and everything like that. Calmness i found at my house. I told my father everything, like it was. My dad, suprised, listened and when i was finished, told me: 'I've heard about this wedding before. It's good you didn't say anything, because those are evil people. People call them NAVIACI. They died uncrossed and did only evil. They are very bad and don't forgive anyone who talks to them. They get angry and do bad things to people. You got lucky. he said to me. So, ever since then I've told this story a lot and every time i did, i told it exactly how it happened. The goats were found by my dad and my brother, but they couldn't give milk anymore. Our dog was never found." This silver-tounged story-teller left in me very mixed feeling. I've gone fishing to this dam a lot of times and I've not seen NAVIACI. And for the best. You can try it, if you want, it could happen again. But don't forget, don't ever talk to them!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: When darkness falls

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Eustace, that is a great story. I enjoyed reading it very much. And tell your daughter her translation is very good.

When I was her age I studied Spanish (and then later, German). At her age I could not have done such good translation.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I, for one, love reading old folk tales.
Thank you for that brief excursion . . . . .

:)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I'm glad you like the story. I consider myself a skeptic and moderate agnostic, but I love such stories. Let the topic be open to anyone who has experienced or heard strange, inexplicable or supernatural scary story. Just, please specify if the story happened after using prohibited chemical or organic substances or/and a large amount of alcohol. :D
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

That was a fun story to read. Thanks for posting it. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I enjoyed the story and your daughter did a fine job with the translation. Thank you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Mostly True Stories”