Napanoch Brand - Dixie Cock rooster knives!

Tuna Valley Cutlery Co., Excelsior Knife Co., & Napanoch Knife Co. are three popular brands currently controlled by The Daniels family. These are old names that went dormant for years, but have since been brought back to life with modern offerings. This forum is here to discuss & show off knives & related items with brand names under the Daniels Family umbrella.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Napanoch Brand - Dixie Cock rooster knives!

Post by Rookie »

in Feb 2021 the Daniels launched their latest brand, bringing back the historic Napanoch Knife Co. Their first release was the Dixie Cock rooster knife pattern, making 50 pieces each of 2 different handle materials.
Attachments
2021-napa-dixie-group04-lo.jpg
2021-Napa-Dixie-lightning-ad.jpg
2021-Napa-Dixie-Stag-ad.jpg
Napanoch-label-lo.jpg
Carl B.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Napanoch Brand - Dixie Cock rooster knives!

Post by 1967redrider »

That's pretty cool. Any info on how much (I'm sure that varies by scale material) or who's selling them? Thanks!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Wow those are gorgeous knives.
TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm That's pretty cool. Any info on how much (I'm sure that varies by scale material) or who's selling them? Thanks!
https://danielsfamilyknifebrands.com/dealers/

https://danielsfamilyknifebrands.com/dealers-napanoch/

::shrug::

One is even an AAPK seller. ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Robert Wells has an Exclusive on the Napanoch Brand Dixie Cock Rooster Knives his info:
Ole Kentucky Rob Vintage & Collectible Knives
Phone # 606-776-2561
Email : rwells1@roadrunner.com
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Those Daniels folks sure know how to do Stag.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

TPK wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:35 pm
1967redrider wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm That's pretty cool. Any info on how much (I'm sure that varies by scale material) or who's selling them? Thanks!
https://danielsfamilyknifebrands.com/dealers/

https://danielsfamilyknifebrands.com/dealers-napanoch/

::shrug::

One is even an AAPK seller. ::nod:: ::tu::

Thanks Tom! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

So what is the thinking on these? Will it be like some other manufactures that release a batch only to see them gobbled up in seconds, and then reappear on Ebay at inflated prices. Or do they have a different plan?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:59 pm So what is the thinking on these? Will it be like some other manufactures that release a batch only to see them gobbled up in seconds, and then reappear on Ebay at inflated prices. Or do they have a different plan?
Probably yes.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Because of GEC most of us here have come to expect a very high level of fit and finish along with top notch blade grinds and sharp edges.
For the Daniels' brands to succeed they will need to come close to the GEC level of workmanship.
Who is making these knives ? and where ?
I have owned a couple of Tuna Valley knives and i don't like them. Nice mammoth handles but the rest of the knife was 'over embellished' giving a busy look with no flow to create an integral 'whole'. And they were expensive, ~ $450-$500.
Embellishment just for the sake of embellishment does not make for a good knife. The designer needed to choose the elements more selectively.
I hope someone who buys a new Napanoch will post pictures and some comments.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The Daniels family didn't succeed very well when they owned the Queen brand.
Now Queens are being made in China. With this type of pattern being their first Napanoch it doesn't seem they are on the road to success.
Some type of a more "normal" pattern would probably have been a better choice.
These will probably be somewhat expensive. I wouldn't give $30 for one of these.
Of course, this is just my opinion. Others may like these blade choices. I think they are quite silly.
David
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:59 pm So what is the thinking on these? Will it be like some other manufactures that release a batch only to see them gobbled up in seconds, and then reappear on Ebay at inflated prices. Or do they have a different plan?
There is a handful of different Napanoch dealers. However these rooster knives were commissioned from one specific dealer, Ole Kentucky Rob, and therefore they are only sold through him. If interested in one, you can contact Rob to see what price is. Rob will likely do another run of these again sometime. Rob had a significant amount of customers that collected the old style cockfighting knives, and he decided to do a run of them to see how much interest they created.

Other upcoming Napanoch tool knives that are made from DFKB will be available at all the dealers, not just Rob.
Carl B.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:14 am Because of GEC most of us here have come to expect a very high level of fit and finish along with top notch blade grinds and sharp edges.
For the Daniels' brands to succeed they will need to come close to the GEC level of workmanship.
I have owned a couple of Tuna Valley knives and i don't like them. Nice mammoth handles but the rest of the knife was 'over embellished' giving a busy look with no flow to create an integral 'whole'. And they were expensive, ~ $450-$500.
Embellishment just for the sake of embellishment does not make for a good knife. The designer needed to choose the elements more selectively.
kj
edge213 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 am The Daniels family didn't succeed very well when they owned the Queen brand.
Now Queens are being made in China. With this type of pattern being their first Napanoch it doesn't seem they are on the road to success.
These will probably be somewhat expensive. I wouldn't give $30 for one of these.
Of course, this is just my opinion. Others may like these blade choices. I think they are quite silly.
All the Tuna Valley knives, and the Napanoch Knife Co knives are being made by master cutler Jeff Schley, in Titusville, PA. He does the work on every part of every knife himself. The quality on the newer knives is not the same as the older factory made knives.

The Dixie Cock rooster knives were the first release from the Napanoch brand because dealer Ole Kentucky Rob asked for them to be made. He is also selling the Royal El Gallo rooster knives, made under the Excelsior Knife brand. These are an even higher level of knife, made by custom maker Chuck Hawes from Illinoise, using rare handle materials, and specialty steels and bolster materials.
Carl B.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Rookie wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:04 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:14 am Because of GEC most of us here have come to expect a very high level of fit and finish along with top notch blade grinds and sharp edges.
kj
edge213 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 am The Daniels family didn't succeed very well when they owned the Queen brand.
All the Tuna Valley knives, and the Napanoch Knife Co knives are being made by master cutler Jeff Schley, in Titusville, PA. He does the work on every part of every knife himself. The quality on the newer knives is not the same as the older factory made knives.

The Dixie Cock rooster knives were the first release from the Napanoch brand because dealer Ole Kentucky Rob asked for them to be made. He is also selling the Royal El Gallo rooster knives, made under the Excelsior Knife brand. These are an even higher level of knife, made by custom maker Chuck Hawes from Illinoise, using rare handle materials, and specialty steels and bolster materials.

Thank you for the information.
I was not questioning the quality. I'm sure they are great knives, but for me personally I just don't like the pattern ::handshake::
David
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

edge213 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:39 pm Thank you for the information.
I was not questioning the quality. I'm sure they are great knives, but for me personally I just don't like the pattern ::handshake::
Oh yeah Edge, no problem. I just wanted to add my knowledge to the discussion. I get that, like most knives, there is never a certain pattern that appeals to everyone.
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Napanoch Knife Co knives are being made by master cutler Jeff Schley, in Titusville, PA. He does the work on every part of every knife himself."
This makes these a custom made knife to me. Some people think "custom" should be reserved for 'one off' knives so it is the only one like it in the world. If these knives are individually made by one cutler then each one will be slightly unique.
The success of this new venture will depend primarily on the quality of the knives and to a lesser extent, the prices.
Just because they are 'sole authorship' does not guarantee high quality.
Does anyone know when these knives will be available for purchase ?
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:41 pm Does anyone know when these knives will be available for purchase ?
kj
They were released for sale on Feb 25. A lot of them sold right away, although they were teased for over a month during the final stages of production, so I think a lot of them were spoken for before they even were finished. They were only sold by dealer Ole Kentucky Rob, so he would be the one to call and ask how many are still available in each handle type.
Carl B.

Return to “Daniels Family Knife Brands Forum”