Tuna Valley all fished out?

Tuna Valley Cutlery Co., Excelsior Knife Co., & Napanoch Knife Co. are three popular brands currently controlled by The Daniels family. These are old names that went dormant for years, but have since been brought back to life with modern offerings. This forum is here to discuss & show off knives & related items with brand names under the Daniels Family umbrella.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tuna Valley all fished out?

Post by Rookie »

Thanks guys!
Carl B.
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

Rookie wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 pm
Xyphos wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 pm The Tuna Valley I own, I believe it's a Cattleman (I'd have to check), is what I would call an "okay knife". It is built like an old-school work knife which is to say underfinished, heavy, knotty in hand, and with a hard pull. That would be fine if the knife was not around $500... but it is, and that's unacceptable. Also the prices seem all over the place, some going for under 200.

Suffice to say I would not buy another unless I could check it in person, and even then, why. The best feature was the tube it came in.
I assume for the $500 price that it is mammoth ivory? I have a cattleman in ivory and it is flawless. Also for the higher value, my knife is a collectible safe queen, not a user work knife.

I haven't seen any mammoth Tuna Valley knives selling for $200, that would be quite a steal. Here is a pic of my knife.
Sure but on the other hand I want my collectibles to be checked-out, fit and ready for use, even though they may never see a day of work. It adds to the inherent value of the knife (at least to me).
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Xyphos wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:46 pm Sure but on the other hand I want my collectibles to be checked-out, fit and ready for use, even though they may never see a day of work. It adds to the inherent value of the knife (at least to me).
I can agree with that. For high dollar collectible knives, I expect top notch quality. Sorry to hear yours was below expectations. Did you reach out to the dealer when you received the knife and were not satisfied?
Carl B.
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

^ No because it's not the dealer's fault Tuna Valley does not have consistent QC.
tunefink

Post by tunefink »

Sorry you have a lemon. I have a bunch of TVK's and have been satisfied.

Could you post some pictures of your knife?
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

I have over 90 TV knives and have never bought one that I was unhappy with. I don't think their quality is inconsistent. Surely by chance I would have bought a lemon by now.
Carl B.
Adog

Post by Adog »

Rookie, I agree with you 1000%, I have well over 100. Tuna Valley knives, and every one is beautiful, I would not have kept buying them if I ever received a lemon. Only one, the first Timekeeper, the file work was left raspy, but that was done by Feeney custom knives I believe, I have never complained about the pricing and they have been a very good investment for my Grandsons , recently I saw two of the Lockback Trappers sell for well over &600.00, and there's no shortage of bidders. They are very well finished and have extremely BEAUTIFUL STAG, aloof mine are tight and right.
Adog
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Adog wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:04 am Rookie, I agree with you 1000%, I have well over 100. Tuna Valley knives, and every one is beautiful, I would not have kept buying them if I ever received a lemon. Only one, the first Timekeeper, the file work was left raspy, but that was done by Feeney custom knives I believe, I have never complained about the pricing and they have been a very good investment for my Grandsons , recently I saw two of the Lockback Trappers sell for well over &600.00, and there's no shortage of bidders. They are very well finished and have extremely BEAUTIFUL STAG, aloof mine are tight and right.
Adog
Yes, they have a pretty high following of collectors now. Almost every knife sells on the secondary market for more than the original dealer price. There are still a few that I have not tracked down yet to complete my collection, and the TimeKeepers are among those. I enjoy the hunt, and I enjoy the knives.
Carl B.
flynbulldog

Post by flynbulldog »

It's been 4 years since I started this thread. I did finally find and buy a Tuna Valley knife, a very special (at least to me) rail splitter pattern with scrolled bolsters and mammoth bone handles. It's a thing of beauty and one of the highlights of my small collection
20190331_104501.jpg
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

flynbulldog wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:12 am It's been 4 years since I started this thread. I did finally find and buy a Tuna Valley knife, a very special (at least to me) rail splitter pattern with scrolled bolsters and mammoth bone handles. It's a thing of beauty and one of the highlights of my small collection
20190331_104501.jpg
Looks great. Really pretty mammoth handles.
Carl B.

Return to “Daniels Family Knife Brands Forum”