Tuna Valley Picture Show

Tuna Valley Cutlery Co., Excelsior Knife Co., & Napanoch Knife Co. are three popular brands currently controlled by The Daniels family. These are old names that went dormant for years, but have since been brought back to life with modern offerings. This forum is here to discuss & show off knives & related items with brand names under the Daniels Family umbrella.
kootenay joe

Re: Tuna Valley Picture Show

Post by kootenay joe »

Can you give me a few details on the black handled "Stabber Jack". I am pretty sure i need one.
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Sure KJ, here is what I know about it.

They were released on April 18, 2012, in a limited 50 piece run. The Certificate of Authenticity lists it as "Ebony Wood Lockback pattern". They were made by Queen Cutlery, with the Tuna Valley tang stamp. Original dealer selling price was $120. They are 4 1/2 inches long closed. Blade is made of ATS-34 steel. It has Nickel Silver pins, liners, and bolsters.

They also made 50 more in burnt stag handles in the Swing Guard pattern instead of the lockback. But the handle size/shape and blade/tang are all identical. I've yet to find one of those for sale that wasn't modified, or missing the tube/coa. The hunt still continues for that one.
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rook, 4 1/2" is the same as the GEC # 23. Does this T.V. have a flush & square joint ?
kj
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Fantastic pics of some beautiful knives Rookie, thanks for sharing them . I too like walking in the woods and taking pics of knives, so I can relate! Just curious, when you are woods walking with your TV knives, do you carry them in a special bag or pouch so they don't get all scuffed up? If I am taking multiples into the woods for pics I will sometimes use a fold over style shotgun shell holder with individual velcro sleeves for each shell (or knife).......other times I just load up my pockets and go! :lol:
...always have to be sure to do a little inventory count after pics though so no knife gets left behind....one time I took a bunch of pics of an old wooden Robeson jack atop a big rock off the trail, got about a mile down the path and realized I left the knife perched atop the rock! Hustled all the way back and it was still there thankfully. I was worried some greedy squirrel was going to snatch it up and scurry up a tree with it. That rock is now named "Robeson Rock" in my mind, and I think of it every time I hike past it. :lol:

Another question if you don't mind... I read that you don't carry any of your Tuna knives....what do you edc? It must be something nice I bet, since you have such fine taste in cutlery.....
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Joe, yes the lockback when fully opened is flush. Here is a pic I found of it open, this isn't my photo, just one I had found online a few years ago.

Mike, if I'm taking more than 1 knife in the woods, I usually take a small backpack with me, with the camera, tripod, knives, and a clean cotton cloth to wipe off fingerprints. All the Tuna knives come with a black velvet sleeve, so I keep them in those until they are ready for a photo, and then afterwards they go right back in. I have knives that are users, for in the tackle box or in my hunting pack, but the TV knives are for a display collection only.

I'm a little different than most. I researched for a long time to find my ideal carry knife, and it rides in my pocket every day. I don't have a knife rotation like most, I just have this one and it will be my only one until it fails me or I find something I like better. It is a 2012 S&M sowbelly in stag. This photo was from the day I bought it. It has been sharpened and dropped a few times since then, and the stag isn't as vibrant a color, and the bolsters and blades have some surface scratches on them. But I still like it.
Attachments
s-l1600b.jpg
front.jpg
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rookie, "flush & square joint" refers to the blade tang being flush with the bolster ends in both the half stop and closed positions. Here are pics showing such a joint in a GEC # 23 pattern knife.
Does the T.V. 'Stabber Jack' have this type of joint construction ?
kj
Attachments
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

I see. No, it definitely doesn't have a flush& square joint then. It has a continuous round 1/2 circle. There is no 1/2 stop.
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks.
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

I was out today after lunch and took some photos of the 2015 muskrat in amber stag. These 2 turned out nicely.
Attachments
2015-tuna-valley-muskrat-amber-stag02.jpg
2015-tuna-valley-muskrat-amber-stag03.jpg
Carl B.
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Man! That's a Real Beauty! ::tu::
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Thanks Mitch
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is this a 2 spring Muskrat ?
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Yep, 2 springs. 1 on each blade.
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 2 spring Muskrat is more of a brawny work knife. The single spring Muskrat is a svelte knife, graceful looking that i think of as 'lighter' duty, but i don't know if is actually less strong.
Although i prefer the single spring design your Tuna Valley Muskrat is a very handsome knife.
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Here are a couple nice shots of the Cattleman with buffalo horn.
Attachments
2016-tuna-valley-cattleman-buffalo-horn2.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-cattleman-buffalo-horn3.jpg
Carl B.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Railsplitter in Burnt Stag
Attachments
2015-tuna-valley-railsplitter-burnt-stag2.jpg
2015-tuna-valley-railsplitter-burnt-stag3.jpg
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tuna Valley seems to prefer the big, 'chunky' patterns like the Railsplitter. Besides being a handsome knife it is a knife capable of being 'pushed' to work as hard as a folding knife can do (or be).
Are there T.V. examples of the more slender patterns like a Slender Stock knife or single blade Slim Trapper, etc. ? (only one i can find is the mini barlow, 2 blade "Tadpole")
kj
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

The tadpole is the smallest knife they have released, and the next one would be the 2016 carpenter whittler pattern. Although 3 1/2 inches long, is fairly narrow and thin. But you are right, a majority of their knives are larger in size. The 2016 teardrop single blade is nearly 4 inches long, but it is narrow due to only having 1 blade/spring. It fits the hand really well.
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks R. Have you posted a pic of the 2016 teardrop single blade ? I've looked through this thread. Did i miss it ?
kj

Oops ! i just found it, the Easy Opener Jack. It looks more 'bulky' than slender and indeed it is a pattern that is supposed to be 'well rounded' rather than skinny.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Real nice stag on the muskrat and railsplitter!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Thanks Wayne! I'm happy to be able to share the photos with folks who enjoy seeing them.
Carl B.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Rookie wrote:the 2016 carpenter whittler pattern. Although 3 1/2 inches long, is fairly narrow and thin.
I have the TV carpenter whittler in the black buffalo horn handles that I carry often. It is hardly noticeable in the pocket and the blade configuration is very useful.
Attachments
Tuna Valley Carpenters Whittler Black Buffalo Horn
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Awesome knife Ralph. I always thought I was a stag only guy, but I have to admit that the buffalo horn used on the TV looks really really nice and sharp, and feels really nice in the hand.
Carl B.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Here are a few new photos, 2014 Gunstock, and 2016 Cattleman.
Attachments
2014-tuna-valley-gunstock-burnt-stag2.jpg
2014-tuna-valley-gunstock-burnt-stag3.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-cattleman-amber-stag2.jpg
2016-tuna-valley-cattleman-amber-stag3.jpg
Carl B.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, what a big 'aggressive' clip blade on the Gunstock. Tuna Valley knives definitely grab one's attention.
kj

Return to “Daniels Family Knife Brands Forum”