Can the option to edit be extended?

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Can the option to edit be extended?

Post by orvet »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:49 pm
What I had in mind was what Bryan referenced in his answer above. There are many threads on AAPK that are YEARS old and are still in daily use. If someone could go back months or years and edit or delete posts, it would make the posts after it confusing or completely irreverent. I understand what the original intention of this request was, to edit when you have sold a knife so viewers do not have to read all posts or go to the end to see that the knife has been sold. But like one of the Administrators has stated, if you contact him he will add the word SOLD to the sales thread so readers will know this has been updated. WHY make a bunch of extra work for Bryan for a trivial item when there are other ways to do it?
Well said OC!

If you contact Phil (Philco) or myself (orvet), send us a link to the post that you want changed. DO NOT give us a vague description or no description of where it might be! We may do the trivial things, but we are not mind readers! :roll:

We can go back and add SOLD to the title without any difficulty. That way the title of the sale is preserved if someone is looking for information about a knife like the one you sold, and anyone looking at that knife to purchase it will know that knife is no longer available.

One of the reasons that we preserve the threads and the pictures and why we ask you not to use a photo hosting service is so that the site can be used years from now to research knives. If you have been on other forums that use photo hosting services you will frequently find notices from Ink Frog or other photo hosting services that the original poster no longer has an account with that service in the picture is no longer viewable from the forum. We have lots of bandwidth to host our own photos here and that makes us a good repository for knife pictures and knife knowledge for generations to come.
Kind of like were writing history, sort of ... :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The "For Sale" forum is the one that needs to allow editing of the opening post so that the price can be lowered for knives that have not sold.
As mentioned above many people do not read further than the opening post so will not see a subsequent post giving a lower asking price.
If a change can be made to allow the opening post in the For Sale forum to be edited it would be a big improvement and help members sell their knives.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I disagree that people only read the first post. At least I don’t. I look at the knife and if interested will scroll down to see if it’s still available which automatically makes any price revisions seen. I think Brian explained the software inflexibility well. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=69545&p=891788#p884381
It is what it is. ::doh::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I accept how it is. I enquired because i thought there might be a way that i had yet to figure out.
Ken, i think few people are as thorough as you are. Eric A. made the same comment about people only looking at opening post in a For Sale thread.
If i really wanted to, i could ask a moderator to change the price but that i see as an 'over use' of the moderator's role. Not fair to ask.
It is not a 'big deal'.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:50 am I accept how it is. I enquired because i thought there might be a way that i had yet to figure out.
Ken, i think few people are as thorough as you are. Eric A. made the same comment about people only looking at opening post in a For Sale thread.
If i really wanted to, i could ask a moderator to change the price but that i see as an 'over use' of the moderator's role. Not fair to ask.
It is not a 'big deal'.
kj
I always scroll down to see if the price has been reduced. I don't know what others do.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote edge213: "I always scroll down to see if the price has been reduced. I don't know what others do."
That's encouraging. I hope most people do.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

edge213 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:50 am I accept how it is. I enquired because i thought there might be a way that i had yet to figure out.
It is not a 'big deal'.
kj
I always scroll down to see if the price has been reduced. I don't know what others do.
Me too.

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”