Sellers Beware; AAPK buyer trying to scam me after a sale

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
backlip

Sellers Beware; AAPK buyer trying to scam me after a sale

Post by backlip »

Is there a thread to warn others of scammers within this forum?

I sold a knife back on January 11th, shipped same day, and it was delivered on Jan 14th. I updated the buyer via AAPK with tracking info, however, I never got around to updating on Paypal (my mistake). A few days ago I received an email from Paypal stating that he was disputing the sale as an "unauthorized transaction." I reached out to him directly via email but he did not respond. I submitted all of the info regarding the sale and it's delivery to Paypal (AAPK packing slip, tracking number confirming delivery). Hell, the guy even left me positive feedback for the sale! But now he is either mistaken (hopefully) or trying to take advantage of the lack of prompt tracking submitted to Paypal. Paypal has a history of siding with buyers regardless, and I want to warn others of this potential scammer.

I am not going to post his username until such an action is approved by AAPK. Perhaps there is a way to inform the forum managers directly.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sellers Beware; AAPK buyer trying to scam me after a sale

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Down there at the bottom of the page where it says “Contact us”. You can click on that and send a message to the AAPK site administrators.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
david s

Post by david s »

I'm pretty sure that I'm the one backlip is referring to above unfortunately. Long story for what it's worth. I purchased a holster from Hybrid Holsters. Awhile later Hybrid sent me a letter stating that on December 5 their system had been hacked and a small number of their customers information had been potentially stolen. They also said I would get a year of credit monitoring at no cost. So, I checked my cards history and there were three transactions that didn't make any sense. It looked like my card number had been stolen in the Hybrid holster hack. Two of the transactions were for takeout food orders from Chipotles restaurants in California. The other was for $66 dollars thru Pay Pal to an individual's name (not backlip) I didn't recognize and also listed in California. I contacted the card company and let them know the card was compromised and gave them the three listings I thought were suspicious. I've never been to or ordered from Chipotles in California or anywhere else or as far as I knew used Pay Pal (my order with backlip was a Visa card transaction thru AAPK) and I surely didn't recognize the individuals name in California on the Pay Pal transaction. In looking closer at all the card's transactions, the $66 dollar amount stood out in my mind. Finally, it dawned on me where the $66 dollar amount came from. My order thru AAPK with backlip. Whitin an hour of my originally letting the card company know the card was compromised I let them know I was only contesting the two Chipotles transactions and not the $66 dollar Pay Pal transaction. It wasn't my intention to jam up backlip receiving his payment. My apologizes to backlip.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Not personally knowing you David it's difficult to simply "take your word for it", but I for one believe it was an unfortunate clerical error that you 2 guys got caught-up in. I had similar problems with a credit card and with all that's involved in getting things straightened out it gets very confusing waiting for the company to work things out, and a mistake such as the one were talking about can easily happen, especially concerning PayPal as they are incredibly slow with straightening out problems.
I certainly hope that "backlip" can forgive this unfortunate incident and you guys can become friendly with each other, and the best way for you to show your sincerity David might be to participate in our forum and give us an opportunity to see who you really are, and not have only an accusation of your character to go on. JMHO, sir, and ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
8)
8)
mqqn

Post by mqqn »

I note that David has been a member since 2018.

I thought that this thread displayed the gentlemanly way things may be handled without jumping to conclusions and getting out the pitchforks and torches.

I would add that, while reading David's reply, I envisioned the many times I have received "the look" from my beautiful bride when I am going through the end of month accounting and ask "what was the $66 thing on the 12th?" etc.

Embarrassingly it is often something that I bought and forgot about.

Stuff happens. :)
Andy
South Central Tennessee
Retired from Caterpillar Inc.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

mqqn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:46 am I note that David has been a member since 2018.

I thought that this thread displayed the gentlemanly way things may be handled without jumping to conclusions and getting out the pitchforks and torches.

I would add that, while reading David's reply, I envisioned the many times I have received "the look" from my beautiful bride when I am going through the end of month accounting and ask "what was the $66 thing on the 12th?" etc.

Embarrassingly it is often something that I bought and forgot about.

Stuff happens. :)
Well put and agree !
JP
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

As a rule, I generally don't comment on issues that don't involve me ::not_saying::; however, in this instance I feel compelled to point out three things that struck me as significant about this incident.

First:
backlip wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:58 pm I reached out to him directly via email but he did not respond.
I realize that my experience is somewhat different from this exact issue, but I have been extremely frustrated myself on more than one occasion when making a sale on AAPK and a member asks me to "please, please hold a knife" for him until he can "get the money together." The few times I have done this, almost without exception after I have already told other interested buyers that the knife was "already spoken for", the first person suddenly disappears into the ether and does not bother to check back in with me or respond to my PMs or emails. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that until the knife has been paid for and received by the buyer, the deal is still pending, and as such, he should be at least aware and courteous enough to occasionally check his PM/emails for any news from the seller that may in any way affect the transaction. I don't think that's too much to ask, especially if the seller is holding a knife on the a promise of a future purchase (which, like I said, is not the same as this issue, but the communication aspect between the two parties involved is just as important.)

Second:
backlip wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:58 pm I am not going to post his username until such an action is approved by AAPK. Perhaps there is a way to inform the forum managers directly.
Kudos to you, sir, for being considerate to the negligent buyer despite being ignored and having to go through all that hassle. That was the right and correct way to handle it. You showed true professional and gentlemanly behavior IMHO. ::tu::

Third:
mqqn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:46 am I note that David has been a member since 2018.
As someone who has been a member for five years, David should know better about how to conduct business on this site. I would be more forgiving of him if he were a new member, but I feel five years is plenty long enough to know how things work here. READ YOUR PMs!!!! ::watching_you:: I would also point out that the seller, backlip, has been a member for less than one year, yet apparently he knew how to handle this unfortunate situation in a professional, responsible and respectful manner.

And, finally, FWIW, I agree: I did not see any "pitchforks and torches" in the way this was handled by the seller. He tried everything within his power to find out what the problem was and he received no response. So, he posted his issue in the open forum and asked for some guidance. I honestly don't know if I would have had as much pantience, restraint and professionalism as he showed if this had happened to me. Well done, backlip! ::tu::

Glad it got resolved and no one was pichforked or torched in the process, so, it had a happy ending (and hopefully served as a learning experience about the importance of communication when buying/selling on AAPK).
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”