In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Chub380

Post by Chub380 »

Thanks for all the great info this forum is awesome. If I would post some pics of some old western blades I have I was hoping you guys could get me in the general ballpark of age, second question I was comparing some l28’s and a 648 I have and it seems like the blade profile is completely different, can anyone confirm this? Thanks again for the nice site. I will post some pics tomorrow if you guys are willing to help me.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New member

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Welcome to the forum!! It always helps to post photos of any knives you have questions about. We do have a resident Western expert, hopefully he reads your post and can help but photos will help too. He might find your question more easily if you posted photos in a post titled Western (model) question.
Samb

Post by Samb »

Welcome aboard ::tu::
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Hey Chub380.

If you have questions about a particular Western knife, list it in a thread with pictures. An overall pic and a pic or pics of the stamp/stamps. Some Westerns have stamps on both ricassos and/or the guard.

It would be best to make a separate thread for each knife or "class" of knives. Example - 2 or 3 48 patterns in the same thread would be OK, just make sure the title reflects the knife model. Mixing 48s, 46s, 39s, 66s. etc in the same thread can be confusing when trying to sort out the correct answer sometimes.
Chub380

Post by Chub380 »

I will remember this for next time.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome aboard. Glad to have ya.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”