WESTERN SHARK

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WESTERN SHARK

Post by Ridgegrass »

Bought this yesterday in Salisbury, MD. I'm not a fixed blade guy but he made an offer I couldn't refuse. 6" blade, lanyard hole, full guard. The sheath, though beat, looks to be original. Some wear but nicely maintained. Any opinions on model, date, etc. would be appreciated. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4894.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WESTERN SHARK

Post by jerryd6818 »

That sheath sure has been rode hard and put away wet but they look that way after a few decades of use. The one from my L39 didn't even make it 2 or 3 decades. However, the knife looks good. Sorry I can't ID it for you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Your knife is WW2 era, and the sheath is correct. Western was the only company double stitching their sheaths on the knives they made for private purchase during the war like the "shark" and the W46-8. I believe the model number on your knife is W46-6 but Wayne (Zzzy) will likely be along with more info, he's our Western expert and very good. The W46-6 war era knives can be found with aluminum pommels or steel butt caps and with blued or bright blades.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Gene, Jerry. J.O'.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I have a couple like yours. Great knives, which to me, feel better balanced in the hand that most any other fixed blade I’ve held.

Unfortunately, it seems that although Western made some of the best blades ever, that didn’t translate well over to their sheaths. I don’t know why, but it always seemed to me that Wester sheaths didn’t hold up very well.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Yes, it is a WW2 era "Shark" aka G46-6, with a slightly less than 6" blade, a full guard and a lanyard hole.

Shark/Baby Shark Factoids....

While the G46-5 and G46-6, along with the 4-1/2" blade G46-4, were pre-WW2 models, they had mushroom pommels, not the bird head pommels of the war-time knives. Mushroom pommeled G46-5s and G46-6s did serve during the war as private purchase items, either brought from home, sent from home, turned in during the hunting knife drives or PX old stock sales. Western knives were sold in west coast PXs long before the war began.

ALL WW2-era G46-5 and G46-6 knives had steel or brown swirl bakelite guards and aluminum or bakelite bird head pommels. If a wartime G46-5 or G46-6 has a brass guard, it was assembled after the war was over and brass became available. Very, very, very few, if any, of these brass guard knives were made new. Nearly all of them are really post-war refurbs. If a veteran had a dinged up Western knife, Western would refurb them for free, even into the early 1950s. Hence, a few brass guarded G46-5s and G46-6s.

ALL G46-5 and G46-6 knives assembled with a blade that was NOT a post-war, canceled contract, surplus blade will have "MADE IN U.S.A." as part of the stamp, 99.9% on the mark side ricasso. These knives were made between 1947 and 1954. I have only seen ONE ever with "MADE IN U.S.A." on the pile side.

If the Shark or Baby Shark has a model number of L46-6 or L46-5 on the pile side ricasso, it was made from 1955 to 1966. No amount of fleabay razzle-dazzle will convert a 1955 to 1966 made blade into a WW2 fighting knife, There's a couple of those falsies on fleabay right now.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

ZZ: Thanks for the good info. No mark on the pile side. Steel guard and a patent number. Any changes due to that stamping?
I've managed to duck another addiction like fixed blades but it looks like I'm getting in deeper. Thanks again. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4897.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

No changes - still a WW2 G46-6 Shark.
Felanmac

Post by Felanmac »

The “Shark” and “Baby Shark” are great WW2 knives. Here are 5 different “Sharks” with a couple other Westerns!
Attachments
DD60286C-4269-455E-8B71-8D2810A727E6.jpeg
2AB5B426-09ED-4555-A258-994EC932FB60.jpeg
A man without a knife is a man without a life
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Awesome find, J.O'. ::tu:: ::tu::

Sweet group, Felanmac. ::nod::👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”