Western Boulder

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Western Boulder

Post by stockman »

Trapper, a little different style. Harold
Attachments
521B0FF8-8B67-44B6-A094-200A7CB42981.jpeg
FRJ

Re: Western Boulder

Post by FRJ »

That is beautiful, Harold. ::nod::
Nice catch. ::tu::
Joe
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Harold, that is a very nice Western States ...you did good! Don't think I've ever see one like it ::tu::
Randy
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a very unique Trapper pattern, pretty sweet! I like the birdseye pivot pin too, looks great with the bomb shield. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::tu:: I'll just say "amen" to the other 3 comments and add, you never know what them folks from Kansas will come up with. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Nice interesting knife, and Happy 15th anniv with AAPK.____Dave
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Never even thought about being on AAPK for 15 years. Thanks for the reminder. Harold
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is a dandy, Harold! Smooth black celluloid? Or? Anyway, ::tu::
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:09 pm That is a dandy, Harold! Smooth black celluloid? Or? Anyway, ::tu::
I think or!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That's a fantastic old Western Boulder! Very nice!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The B249S. Shows up in the 1931, 1936 and 1941 catalogs. No way to tell when it was made any closer than that as the construction did not change at all over that 10 year period.

The leading "B" indicates that the handle material is "Black non-breakable composition" in 1931 and 1936. That changed to "Black composition" in 1941. I guess someone finally broke one and sent it in for repair or complained.

This material could either be celluloid or it could be bakelite. Western used "Bx" and "BX" for knives with known black bakelite handles. They also used the phrase "non-breakable composition" for celluloid handles.

If it shows evidence of shrinkage, it's celluloid. If it doesn't, it could still be either one. I've seen some of Western's celluloid from the 30s that doesn't seem to shrink. I guess they had different suppliers with different formulations.

The trailing "S" indicates that the knife has a "special long spey blade".

The 249 pattern also came in models 16249 and 16249S, with bone stag handles.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:26 pm The B249S. Shows up in the 1931, 1936 and 1941 catalogs.
I wouldn't have thought that this knife was that old.
I sure like all this information you post about knives from time to time.
It's so interesting to read. Thank you.
Joe
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:26 pm The B249S. Shows up in the 1931, 1936 and 1941 catalogs. No way to tell when it was made any closer than that as the construction did not change at all over that 10 year period.

The leading "B" indicates that the handle material is "Black non-breakable composition" in 1931 and 1936. That changed to "Black composition" in 1941. I guess someone finally broke one and sent it in for repair or complained.

This material could either be celluloid or it could be bakelite. Western used "Bx" and "BX" for knives with known black bakelite handles. They also used the phrase "non-breakable composition" for celluloid handles.

If it shows evidence of shrinkage, it's celluloid. If it doesn't, it could still be either one. I've seen some of Western's celluloid from the 30s that doesn't seem to shrink. I guess they had different suppliers with different formulations.

The trailing "S" indicates that the knife has a "special long spey blade".

The 249 pattern also came in models 16249 and 16249S, with bone stag handles.
zz thanks for the information on that Western. I wasn’t finding much in any of my books. Great information thanks again. It’s fun to find one that is a little different Harold

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”