WEST-CUT Hunter

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
tongueriver

Re: WEST-CUT Hunter

Post by tongueriver »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:49 pm WESTACO was the "low end line". Made during the Great Depression. Cheaper price. Made by the same people on the same assembly lines. Same quality, "maybe" cheaper materials, but I doubt it. Mainly a marketing ploy to sell more knives to be able to keep their people employed and bringing in a cash stream.

They didn't last long because they are rarely seen.

TR - what is the blade length on that one? And is the handle material buckhorn/stag or bone stag? Based on the blade shape and appearance, it looks like one of the pattern 49 models, 4 inch or 5 inch blade options. There's an L49-5 with a triple spacer pattern, a 539-5 with single handle pieces of buckhorn between only 2 sets of spacers and a 2 spacer X249 with composition pearl handles and 2 spacer sets.

The kicker is that I can't any reference to a knife with that spacer/handle piece arrangement in any of my documentation. My gut tells me "1941" based on all the other 49 versions that year.
I believe the handle pieces to be genuine stag. I was not deciding whether it was a 43 or a 49 pattern. The blade is a scant 4.75 inches from the guard. I am including pic's of the sheath that it came in. It fits well and I think it is probably the original????
$(KGrHqQOKiQE2h+fLF64BN)ysPLVk!~~_3.jpg
$(KGrHqQOKjQE3!8PIKjpBN)yr,OwLQ~~_3.jpg
$(KGrHqUOKjME2+cbDcBoBN)yrGITOQ~~_3.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I still think it is a 549, whether it is a -4 or a -5 would be the question. 4.75 is just mean. :? Western was a little lax on blade lengths.

Many of Western's -4 knives, e.g., G46-4, any ?49-4, and the ?44-4s, etc. Some of the -4s were 4.0 or 4.125 (4-1/8). Other -4s were 4-1/2". That is per advertising descriptions in the catalogs.

The -5 knives would be 4-7/8" or 5". So 4.75" is just not nice. It doesn't fit. I don't remember finding ANY knife with a 4-3/4 " blade right off the top of my head.

So it is most likely a 549-X, either a -4 or -5.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks, ZZ! ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

J.O. and Cal, those are very cool knives.
Western made some very nice knives, as you know. I have a few of their sheath knives.

ZZ, what great information!
Joe

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”