Help restoring a Bowie

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
sofaking

Help restoring a Bowie

Post by sofaking »

Hi All,
I got this knife as a gift from my stepfather, which he got in Vietnam. Looking at this forum, it looks like a Version 3 with the single sided tang stamp.
My question is: what would be a good resource to find the best way to clean off the rust, and preserve the knife from deteriorating any further? The other side of the blade has similar damage, and the guard is also a little loose and I don't see any way to tighten it myself.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
bowie.jpg
eveled

Re: Help restoring a Bowie

Post by eveled »

Use a flattened rifle cartridge as a scraper to knock the loose rust off. Then oil it. JB weld should tighten up the guard. Mineral oil for the wood.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I would use 0000 steel wool and mineral oil or 3-in-1 oil to kill the red rust. Then I would use a carpenter's pencil to remove the killed rust. You could then leave it as is or depending on what you want to end up with, start "cleaning" it with 400 grit sand paper followed by 600 grit then 800 grit, etc depending on how cleaned up you want it.

The gap between the handle and guard is from the wood drying out over time. Multiple light coatings of danish oil, tung oil, or BLO can be used over time to replenish the moisture in the wood. Some people would be tempted to just soak it in the oil, but that leads to a wood sponge that soaks up oil and then oozes oil forever. Mulitple light coating of oil will take a long time to work.

eveled's recommendation of JB Weld would work on taking the wiggle out of the guard if you didn't want to spend the time with the oil methods. In addition to JB Weld, any firm setting epoxy or putty-like material that dries hard could be used to firm up the guard. Wood putty could be dyed to match the wood of the handle.

Worst case, you could remove and replace the handles with new scales to hold the guard tight.
sofaking

Post by sofaking »

Thank you for the replies! I will try the steel wool and mineral oil method.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”