Another Western Fixed Blade, ID Help

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
tinroof

Another Western Fixed Blade, ID Help

Post by tinroof »

Seems like I have seen this knife many listings, but no pattern number. My searching says, made about 1950, but no pattern ID. ( Wish the blade was not so scratched up)
Also,is there a date sequence for tang stamps
WESTERN
BOULDER, COLO
No line noting Patent, ------- or, Pat Applied for, -------- or, Pat'd MADE IN USA. Obviosly later productions dropped the mention of Patent.
That would be a useful footnote in my book, probably most collectors already have that note. Appreciate all your information and assistance.
Attachments
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Re: Another Western Fixed Blade, ID Help

Post by zzyzzogeton »

If a Western knife has MADE IN USA as part of the stamp, this means it was made after WW2, probably starting sometime in early 1946. The M-I-USA stamp was never used prior to or during WW2,

No Model number on the knife means pre-1954ish. Western started adding model numbers (pile side ricasso stamp) sometime during the 1953 to 1955 time frame depending on when a new run of a particular model was made.

8" OAL 4-3/8" BL fuller >>> 48A pattern number

MADE IN USA stamp timeframe + leather handle == 48ABG model number. Later became simply the L48A, most likely 1957 or 1958 because the 1958 catalog has the L48A and 48ABG is gone.

When model numbers started being applied, 48ABG was stamped into the pile side ricasso. This was replaced with L48A

The model is in the 1950 catalog pages. The ads I have seen for the 48 pattern in the post-WW2 1940s (1946, 1948) list the knife as simply the L48 and is fullerless.

So I would put this knife as a 48ABG from 1950 to 1953.
tinroof

Re: Another Western Fixed Blade, ID Help

Post by tinroof »

Thanks, very helpful in details of Western's marking and insight to the time period of this knife. Although I was not collecting knives, and had no respect for their history, I recall "similar appearance knives" in my younger years. Now I have found an enjoyment in owning them, cleaning the up somewhat, and gaining enough information that I can fit it into my personal memories. I guess that qualifies me as a collector nowadays. I appreciate your help. ::handshake::

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”