Match Strike Pulls?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Replicant

Match Strike Pulls?

Post by Replicant »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. Very appreciative to find a spot for Western collectors. I've read through the majority of the posts and have learned a lot. Also have learned that Western, just did things their way, which might be the answer to my question. Does anyone know why and when certain knives received match strike pulls while others didn't? The 742 and the 062 in this pic are both Boulder - Made in the USA - stamped. I know that these patterns of similar or same vintage are in my opinion more commonly found with regular pulls. ::shrug:: What's the deal?
Attachments
FYh8daV.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Match Strike Pulls?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

I have no Western knowledge, but there a couple of guys here that do. You posted in the proper forum so they are very likely to see your post. Just a WAG but you probably already answered your own question. Western just did what they did with no rhyme or reason.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome!
Sorry I can't help with any info, but I will say I really like that center knife!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:43 pm Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

I have no Western knowledge, but there a couple of guys here that do. You posted in the proper forum so they are very likely to see your post. Just a WAG but you probably already answered your own question. Western just did what they did with no rhyme or reason.
Thank you sir!
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 pm Welcome!
Sorry I can't help with any info, but I will say I really like that center knife!
Thanks. That is the 742 in bone. My first Western and the eye opener to not only the quality of these knives, but the steel is exceptional.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Replicant wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:16 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:43 pm Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Thank you sir!
You don't have to call me sir. I was enlisted.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK!

Like others I’m no expert especially on Western cutlery, but glad you’re here. My only thought is that they did what other companies did, which is appeal to customers. Try something different, see if it sells. If not, or after you’ve saturated the market for it, try something else. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Good question, but I don't have the answer either, I too have two Western Boulder made , one with match strike and one plain pull. Maybe "zz" will join in, he is a Western expert. ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Replicant

Post by Replicant »

terryl308 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:32 pm Good question, but I don't have the answer either, I too have two Western Boulder made , one with match strike and one plain pull. Maybe "zz" will join in, he is a Western expert. ::tu:: Terry
That's a perfect comparison. Thanks for posting. Now I'm wondering if it was truly random or maybe the knives or blades were contract? Just not enough history on these unfortunately.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”