L 77

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

L 77

Post by terryl308 »

Just got this L-77 on a online auction. Anyone know how many of these were made? I believe it is WWll vintage but could be wrong. Also would like to know approximant value. It has a lot of the original blue on the blade but does have some scratches. The sheath has something stamped on the back but I can't make it out. They are listed on the 1945 catalog page of Harvey Platts book Knifemakers Who Went West. I have been look9ng for one for many years and I have not run across many , so it must be fairly rare. Anyway I was glad to get it. ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0211.JPG
DSC_0212.JPG
DSC_0213.JPG
DSC_0214.JPG
DSC_0215.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Gunsil

Re: L 77

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, it is a WW2 knife, sold to soldiers in PX stores. The L 77 is actually fairly common, it is the L 76 that is a rare bird. These come on ebay quite often, you must not have looked there. A check of completed sales on ebay shows many, one that appears to be in similar condition to yours sold for $260. Yours is a very nice example with the proper sheath. Any time you need to know values look on ebay for the item and then go to "sold items" on the left toolbar and you will see what other examples have been selling for. Easy enough to do.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Will do thanks Gunsil
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

How many of anything made by Western, especially during WW2, is generally unknown.

Their sales to the military were through contracts from the government, direct orders from the PX system, and direct unit purchases and also via individual private purchases.

Some knife sales were government contract only - the Bx54 Bushman, improperly called a V44, for inclusion in the M592 bailout packs and the Life Raft knife, made for aircraft and ship based life rafts.

Some were government and PX Sales and direct unit purchases - G46-5 (Baby Shark), G46-6 (Shark), L71 (Seabees), W32 (Parachutist)

Some knives were PX sales contracts and direct unit purchases only, never a government contract - the G46-8, L76 (Commando) and L77 Commando. The L76 Commando was most likely a single run due to their rarity. The double edge made the knife less than useful for any task other than sticking someone. The L77 was much more versatile and and its preference by west coast Marines doomed the L76.

Most of the direct private purchases are undocumented, with a few annecdotal tales of how "Uncle Fred" got his knife. Relatives of service men could always get knives for their servicemen by going to the factory and buying them, probably seconds that failed government inspections prior to acceptance. "Lunch box specials" probably found their way out to servicemen as well.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Thanks ZZ, I can always count on you for some info on Westerns! The L77 maybe fairly common, I've just never run across many here in the "flatland". I've seen quite a few of the Sharks. The parachutist W31 is another one that has escaped too. Anyway I was glad to get the L77, it was in a box of other knives that I bid on. ::handshake:: Terry

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”