Western States Electrician Knife

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
bkazz5

Western States Electrician Knife

Post by bkazz5 »

Acquired this Western States Electrician knife. First time I've owned a Western from this era with this blade etch. According to my book it dates from 1911-1928. Screw driver locks open but not with a liner lock. It is unlocked by pressing down the main blade.
Attachments
20191114_081217.jpg
20191114_081203.jpg
20191114_081237.jpg
20191114_081257.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Western States Electrician Knife

Post by btrwtr »

That's a new one on me. Love the shield and lock. Awesome pickup!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

bkazz, that thing is pristine. A great example of an old classic. First Western I've seen of that model. ::nod:: ::tu::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Very nice. Interesting "unlocking" feature on the secondary blade. I too have not seen one of those before. Sure is in great shape.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
TPK

Post by TPK »

Very nice looking knife and in great shape for it's age! ::tu:: Great find! :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

That is a VERY rare Western pocket knife.

How rare is it? Well, it does NOT appear in the 1919, 1921, 1931, 1936 or 1941 catalog reprint pages in TKMWWW. That tells me it was produced during the late 1920s (1926 - 1930) based on general Western catalog intervals. And only during that period because if it was an active model when any of the catalogs came out, it would have been included in the pages.

As far as the blade etch use of the tic-tac-toe / pound sign arrangement, TKMWWW does list 1911 - 1928 as the years of usage. That being said, the 1931 catalog pages still show 10 models with it, the 1936 catalog shows 11 and the 1941 catalog shows 2 models still sporting the pound sign etch.

This could indicate that --

1) Western recycled the pictures 3 catalogs and 11 years
or

2) some models were so unpopular that they still were available after their initial runs in the late 1920s and Western chose to use pictures of what was actually being sold

or

3) 1928 was not the final year the etch was used.

With Western, any of the three could be possible.
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I don't pursue electricians knives, but if i seen that on a table I definitely wouldn't leave it behind. That's one mighty fine knife ::nod:: Somewhat uncommon to. Iv'e never seen one.
Eye Brand Collector
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That’s mighty fine! I don’t collect electrician knives, I I do love Old Westerns and I’d not pass that one up! Very nice.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”