Just got this off the bay.....

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Meridian_Mike

Just got this off the bay.....

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hey everyone.....
I just got this off the bay. Looks like rivets holding pieces together until the cutlers could make it into a knife....
My question... Did Western ever make a knife with this blade complement that y'all know of?
s-l1600.jpg
The only one I have that is similar is this one..... It has the spear point blade but mine has a skinner blade as a secondary.
Skinner.JPG
I'm thinking I want to put me some nice stag handles or something like that on the one I got off the bay. I just wondered if y'all have ever seen the one above from my first pic? (And if y'all have one?)

Thanks y'all....
Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
whiskeytango315

Re: Just got this off the bay.....

Post by whiskeytango315 »

Mike,

I too have an unfinished double lock back, I showed it to one of founders of RMBC and he thinks it came out of Longmont, CO when Western closed their doors. I believe somewhere i've got a Camillus in the same configuration as your rubber handled one. My thoughts are that they were planning on releasing the Western's and never got the opportunity. Please post some pictures of it if you do end up putting handles on it. The fit on the one I have is not really good, locks barely engage, probably going to pull it apart and give it a tune up.

Jeff
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

whiskeytango315 wrote:Mike,

I too have an unfinished double lock back, I showed it to one of founders of RMBC and he thinks it came out of Longmont, CO when Western closed their doors. I believe somewhere i've got a Camillus in the same configuration as your rubber handled one. My thoughts are that they were planning on releasing the Western's and never got the opportunity. Please post some pictures of it if you do end up putting handles on it. The fit on the one I have is not really good, locks barely engage, probably going to pull it apart and give it a tune up.

Jeff
The way you described yours, mine is exactly like it. The fit up is poor, blades do not lock. A tune-up is definitely a must.
Since I got mine in hand, a can see these were unfinished. Thanks for your reply confirming that.
It might be a little while since I have a big home project to do but I will post my finished knife here.

Mike
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Camillus came out with a double lockback in 1993 called "PROMASTER", which was in the skinner configuration and had blaze orange rubber handles. IN 1994, they added some double and triple blade lockbacks in black rubber. The patent number for the double and triple lockback design was 4,805,303. The triple bladed Camillus included a saw blade as the 3rd blade.

Then in the 1996, a Western line of double lock-backs came out. The one with the skinner blade was advertised as being "NEW" in the Camillus 1996 catalog under the Western lineup - the WD245, aka "Southern Skinner" - W for Western, D for Delrin (stag). The patent number for the double lockback design was 4,805,303.

Also NEW in the 1996 catalog was the WD246 or "Li'l Rascal". It had the same main clip blade, but the blunted skinner was replaced with a serrated spear point blade.

I don't know that the Western saw blade version ever saw the light of day. I have always assumed they were Camillus bankruptcy sale detritus. I got 10 of them for $20 off fleabay back in 2010.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

zzyzzogeton wrote: IN 1994, they added some double and triple blade lockbacks in black rubber. The patent number for the double and triple lockback design was 4,805,303. The triple bladed Camillus included a saw blade as the 3rd blade.
yep, I have one of those. One of my favorites for skinning / dressing a deer.
::tu::

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”