model 237 fixed blade

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

model 237 fixed blade

Post by terryl308 »

Just bought this old fixed blade Western at a gun show, I've never seen one before, it is listed in the knife makers who went west book catalog 1936 and again in the 1941 page. It is a model 237, 6 3/8", 3 3/8" blade with Pearl Composition handles. The handles are shrinking but not cracked and have 2 brass pins along with the black, brass, red, brass, and black spacers behind the aluminum? guard. It is stamped with the "Western Boulder, Colo" on one side of the tang a "Pat No. 1.967. 478" I think kind of hard to read.
Didn't get the sheath but kind of a rare old Western, I would guess they just made this prior to WWII for 5 years or so?. Just thought I would share it with you. Any comments appreciated. ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_2212.JPG
DSC_2213.JPG
DSC_2214.JPG
DSC_2215.JPG
DSC_2216.JPG
DSC_2217.JPG
DSC_2218.JPG
DSC_2221.JPG
DSC_2222.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: model 237 fixed blade

Post by doglegg »

That is a sweet little knife. Fared pretty well for its age. What are your plans for it? Clean it up a little? Replace the scales or just watch them? A really cool knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I lightly cleaned it up a little, just going to watch and maybe sell it later on. Not going to replace the scales, just admire them for what they are, a 80 something year old vintage knife. It's older than me! but not by much, and in a lot better shape! I guess they did come with a "tube style" leather sheath. ::ds:: Terry
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I cleaned her up a little , has some pretty deep scratches on the blade, but it is what it is. Not bad for it's age. Terry
Attachments
DSC_2261.JPG
DSC_2264.JPG
DSC_2260.JPG
DSC_2262.JPG
DSC_2263.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

A nice small skinner, smaller than the 40, which in turn is smaller than the 39. I have never had a 37, just 40s and 39s. The 37s don't show up very often.

I'm really surprised that it has the double/split tang patent number on it. From the pics you posted, it doesn't look like the butt end is split, and it has no pommel to close a split tang in.

Can you post a pommel end view to show how the pommel end is closed in on it?

Yes, these came with the "tubular" sheaths, sometimes also called "taco" sheaths, since the leather is folded over like a taco shell.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

ZZ, It is not a split tang, appears to be what I would call a full tang with just two brass pins. I'll send a long some more photos. Thanks for responding. Terry
Attachments
DSC_2265.JPG
DSC_2266.JPG
DSC_2267.JPG
DSC_2268.JPG
DSC_2269.JPG
DSC_2270.JPG
DSC_2271.JPG
DSC_2273.JPG
DSC_2274.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Terry,

That's just really weird. The spacers behind the guard are typical "H-shaped" split tang spacers - tang visible on both sides. But there is no evidence of the tang being split all the way to the pommel. Or at least I can see no evidence of the gap having been welded/soldered shut.

So the question is - "How did they do it?" We'll only know if someday the handles crack badly enough that they fall off and we can see what they did under the handle pieces. The only thing I can think of is that the tang is partially gapped, the spacers somehow twisted in and then the handle slabs pinned in place to hold the spacers tight. And even that seems kinda unlikely.

Not that I'm wishing for your handles to fall apart. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I know that the real term is "bifurcated" tang. I just think that's too long to type a bunch of times. :mrgreen:
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

ZZ Yes it is a little weird, maybe they just used small pieces of spacer material and glued them on the tang between the guard and the scales? I can see the tang on the top and bottom of the spacers. Do you think the scales are "outgassing"? sending along a couple more photos'
Attachments
DSC_2275.JPG
DSC_2276.JPG
DSC_2277.JPG
DSC_2278.JPG

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”