Strange Western Pen Knife

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
tinroof

Strange Western Pen Knife

Post by tinroof »

Seems I have not yet settled down to devote myself to some chosen brand of knives, but I just keep discovering new mysteries.
Found this in the markdown basket at local Knife Show, couldn't turn it down. As you can see it is a Western penknife by the tang stamp. 4 blades (one is a nail file), bone handles, full blades and hardly used according to having not been sharpened. Two bolster ends are missing, but the blades are tight. All the "Western" history I can find list only USA production, - no German models. I hope you folks can give me some history, comments, even if it is a misplaced imitation if that is true. Thanks
Attachments
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Strange Western Pen Knife

Post by deo-pa »

Per Goins: WESTERN CUTLERY CO. GERMANY is a trademark used by Wiebusch & Hilger; circa 1876 - 1914.

The company also used WESTERN CUTLERY CO. AUSTRIA and WESTERN CUTLERY CO. NEW YORK

Dennis
tinroof

Re: Strange Western Pen Knife

Post by tinroof »

Thanks, I believe it. Think it just might be worth finding replacements for the missing bolsters.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”