WESTERN 062 two-blade

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WESTERN 062 two-blade

Post by treefarmer »

Not to take away or hijack this thread but Ken has asked a question that often effects knives such as the 062 Western when stored in a leather sheath. First, Google the word verdigris and you will get a technical explanation as to how and why it occurs. It is unsightly but I've never had an issue of removing verdigris from a knife. Granted, it probably gets worse than I've experienced. Some times I've encountered good deals on sheathed knives because they have turned green and yucky in the sellers sight. :)
Here are a few pictures of the knife I mentioned. The chemical reaction between the metal and the leather is often seen around the rivets and snaps of the sheath, this one was clear, so far.
Treefarmer
Pile side front bolster of 062 stored in leather sheath
Pile side front bolster of 062 stored in leather sheath
Notice the greenish area on the leather, where the verdigris began.
Notice the greenish area on the leather, where the verdigris began.
Bolster covered with Mothers Mag polish
Bolster covered with Mothers Mag polish
Bolster wiped clean of verdigris with soft table napkin in approx. 10 seconds
Bolster wiped clean of verdigris with soft table napkin in approx. 10 seconds

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

$(KGrHqJHJ!4E8+iZ5cl8BPVnP90RJ!~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqVHJFYE88fNNTP+BPVnPppEcw~~60_57.JPG
agate Western States hunter003.jpg
agate Western States hunter004.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Western001.jpg
Western002.jpg
Western003.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Sweet pair of etched knives Cal. ::tu::
Roger
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

treefarmer wrote:I dug my 2 Western folding hunters out. Both have Delrin handles, they have different tang stamps, the one with Boulder Colo. stamp came with the sheath. It is unsharpened and the pile side bolsters are covered with verdigris. :oops: It has 062 on the pile side of the clip. This 062 came in a trade from an AAPK member. The other, a refugee of a yard sale, has 062 on the mark side along with either an "O" or a "0" on the last line.

As for the "feel" in the hand, personally, I find the Westerns to be a bit too narrow in the rear bolster. My old Queen 39 and my Case 6265s fit my hand better. The difference is small but quite noticeable to me. I also noticed the kicks are not the same.

Excuse the sorry pictures. :(
Treefarmer
DSCN4111.JPGDSCN4116.JPGDSCN4117.JPG
I guess I was asleep the first time I read this.

That "O" or "0" in the last line is actually a "D", which is a date code letter for 1980.

All Westerns, folders or fixed, with the exception of the WESTMARK 701, 702 and 703 made from 1977 to 1991 have a date code, e.g., A = 1977, B = 1978, C = 1979, D = 1980, on up to "O" for 1991 either as a 3rd line or somewhere offset from the 2nd line (Circle I, Circle J and Circle K). Very few "N" or "O" stamped knives. The company was hurting those last 2 years.

1990/1991 was the time frame that Coleman sold Western to a group of businessmen who didn't know squat about the knife business and sold the name/rights to Camillus in 1991. Camillus promptly shut down the Longmont Colo facilities, laid everyone off, sold off the equipment and surplus blade blanks and supplies and moved manufacturing to Camillus NY. They dropped date coding and double-pin tangs on fixed blades.

If a Western folder the 2 line stamp

WESTERN
USA "some model #"

it is a Camillus period folder.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”