1940's 94 pattern Western States knife

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

1940's 94 pattern Western States knife

Post by djknife13 »

Back from the beginning, Western made an extra large stockman knife and a trapper in the same frame and modified it to make a "dynamite" 4 blade (all sheepfoot). Platts described it on page 67 of his book and the catalog page reprinted on page 143 shows that they offered 4 different knives on that frame. I think I have found my dream knife. I have never seen any of these in my 20 some years collecting Westerns and would love to own any of the four, but especially the 4 blade dynamite. Now that I've talked it up so if someone did actually have one they were willing to sell, I've probably just talked them into keeping it, but in case you have and I didn't, let me know. They are pattern numbers 6494, 52094, 53094, 06294, and 6394. They are 4 3/8th inches long. ____Dave
zzyzzogeton

Re: 1940's 94 pattern Western States knife

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Dave, to say these are rarer than hen's teeth is an understatement.

I have never seen any of them in 30+ years of actively collecting Westerns. I'm primarily a fixed blade collector, but I've been looking watching for those in general and the miner's knife in particular since I first read TKMWWW about 12 years ago.

I'm guessing that the miner's knives were sold mostly in the mining states out west.

As for the other 94s? Who knows. They must have only made a single run or two and they turned out to not be popular. Maybe due to weight?
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I showed my wife a picture of a Holley Rip Van Winkle years ago and told her it was my dream knife but the odds of me finding one was zero and I couldn't afford one if I found it. A month later I found one for $30. It could happen again. Maybe the antique show this weekend will have all of them. If I find two, I'll share.____Dave
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I'll take you up on that. :mrgreen:

Part of the scarcity of the 1941 catalog only patterns is that they first appeared in the 1941 catalog, and Western's new catalogs USUALLY came out during the July/August time frame as the big sales time was the fall when more purchases tended to be made, i.e. for fall hunting season and Christmas. So they were available for only about 6 to 8 months for the most part before Pearl Harbor happened and everything shifted to war support. To my knowledge, Western made very few, if any, folders during the war. Their "1945 catalog" which showed what they had primarily made during the war. And even those were not for sale after the war was over as most had already been sold to the government or the PX system.

While it's possible that some of the new patterns of folders and fixed blades that only appeared in the 1941 catalog began production in early 1941 or even 1940, almost every knife shown in the 1941 catalog ceased production or had it reduced to dribs and drabs. That means AT MOST those knives were only made for a single year or less. Short production life ==>> fewer knives made + constant use during a shortage period ==>> fewer specimens surviving to be found 80 years later. :(

Even of the fixed blades, and the 1941 catalog had an overabundance of patterns and styles, only 2 were produced during the war.

These were the G46-5 and G46-6, aka Baby Shark and Shark, made with primarily bird beak pommels, but some were made with flat pommels.

The other fixed blades made by Western during WW2 were ::

- Bx54 - Bushman, a clone of Collins #18 Machete Pequeno - Not sold to the public or PX system

- L76 - Commando dagger (7" double edge blade) - a few unit orders and minimal sales through the PX system early in the war

- L77 - Commando knife (L76 w/ a single edge) - Unit orders and PX sales - quickly replaced the L76 as field reports indicated the DE was NOT liked.

- L71 - Seabees - similar to a USN MK1, 5" & 6" blades, flat pommels - Unit orders and PX sales

- W31 - USMC Parachutist - 1 unit order of 500 knives to Camp Pendleton Parachute School

- Wxx - Life raft / parachute knife, unknown model number - Government sales only - what self respecting hunter or farmer would have admitted to needing one of these? :mrgreen:

The quick difference between a flat pommel Shark/Baby Shark vs the flat pommel Seabees is that the Shark knives had fullered blades and the Seabees had FFG blades.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

The L76 and the parachutist's knife are two more that have eluded me over the years collecting Westerns. I have several L77 and a couple G46's and I live in a Western saturated spot in the country, but the scarce ones are scarce all over. I do seem to have some kind of dumb luck at finding odd-ball stuff so I keep looking. ___Dave
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I finally snagged a parachutist about a year ago, but the L76 has eluded my grasp as well. They only seem to come up when I'm short on funds, and if I have the funds, they aren't to be seen. Then I spend my knife money on something, and ..... ::dang::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

There was an L76 up for sale on the bay a few weeks ago and sold predictably high. The only Western dynamite knife I have ever seen was sold on ebay maybe ten years ago. I bid on it but was amazed at how high it went; I knew no better at the time. I am attracted to these rare knives like most Western afficionados, but frankly, the prices far outstrip their basic aesthetic appeal. This is a good example of rarity over all. Not for me. I can buy a Randall which is a far more beautiful and useful knife for the same price as some of this stuff. Or a 1930s mint Cattaraugus Indian Trails whittler. To me "rare" as a selling point is about 5 lines down from my priority list, but of course it is still there. I will pay $500 or $1000 for a rare knife, but if it is not minty, beautiful and latter-day functional, I am not even interested. I would pay $200 for a great L76, but, of course, that won't happen. $600? Nah...
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The last time I saw time I saw an L76 go for $200 was a B-I-N nearly 3 years ago.

I happened to do a search for L76 and the knife had just been posted like 10 minutes before I found it. ::ds::

Hit "BUY" and it was already sold. ::dang::

The closest I have come to getting one for under $200 was nearly 6 years ago - there was a B-I-N for $195 + $10 shipping. I said "No way am I paying that much for a used knife. I'll get one later." ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::teary_eyes::

The most recent one was in excellent condition with an original sheath that was in near mint condition. It went for nearly $1100. :shock:
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

djknife13 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 pm Back from the beginning, Western made an extra large stockman knife and a trapper in the same frame and modified it to make a "dynamite" 4 blade (all sheepfoot). Platts described it on page 67 of his book and the catalog page reprinted on page 143 shows that they offered 4 different knives on that frame. I think I have found my dream knife. I have never seen any of these in my 20 some years collecting Westerns and would love to own any of the four, but especially the 4 blade dynamite. Now that I've talked it up so if someone did actually have one they were willing to sell, I've probably just talked them into keeping it, but in case you have and I didn't, let me know. They are pattern numbers 6494, 52094, 53094, 06294, and 6394. They are 4 3/8th inches long. ____Dave
Although I would love to run across a dynamite knife myself I think I might just see a unicorn first .But maybe some one may find an example some day and post a nice clear picture so I can water my mouth over it . The model # 53094C was also offered as model # 23094C .I have one example of the 94 frame (23094C) .The blades have seen some use and one blade has been modified or re-profiled but it is the only 94 frame I have seen in hand . It may also be showing a hint of out gassing so I keep it lonley by its self.
IMG_3041.jpeg

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”