MIs-paired W49 and W49 Sheath

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
zzyzzogeton

MIs-paired W49 and W49 Sheath

Post by zzyzzogeton »

This ebay seller (or whomever he bought the knife and sheath from) has paired a 1979 ("C" date coded) W49 with a Camillus era W49 sheath.

After Camillus bought the name and intellectual property rights of Western, Camillus changed the W49 sheath style. This style was used by Camillus from 1993 to 2006.

Tsar Bomba

Re: MIs-paired W49 and W49 Sheath

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Good eye, zz! I have to say, I'd probably carry that sweet blade regardless of a mismatched sheath. ::nod::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

So would I, but I don't like seeing people being fooled into thinking they are getting a "matched set".

One of the worst mismatched combos I've seen was a Western W49 "D" (1980) in a Coleman-Western W49 sheath (stamped Coleman-Western) in a Camillus Box that was "Vietnam Era Bowie." Should have snitched a picture of that one for posterity.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mr. Z, you have that genre DOWN. ::tu:: I like to think I know my Schrades, but I doubt anyone alive knows as much about these Westerns as you. I know a thingortwo about them but not like you. You are a valuable resource here. Thanks again.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Thank you for the compliment, TR, but I'm sure there're a few that know more than me.

I'll admit I know a bunch, but a lot of what I "KNOW" is based on research and packratting information in the form of hardcopy and electronic paperwork. I remember "generally" the information, but then I have to go dig through my archives to CONFIRM what I already think is correct.

When I have to make a SWAG at something, I'll quickly state that it is just my opinion on the information.

I haven't had the time in the last 7 or 8 years, but before then, I would send time in the University of Texas Perry-Casteneda Library going through their old magazine collections looking for articles or ads in outdoors/sporting/fishing magazines that supported some wild-assed theory or other about Western and Kabar knives.

One example of spending (wasting?? :mrgreen: ) a LOT of time was researching whether or not the Western W49 Bowie actually came out before the officially accepted date of 1964. This was because a seller on fleabay had a 1st version Inverted BOWIE W49 mounted on a plaque with a brass engraved label plate saying "10th Anniversary" over "1962". The seller had no clue, just that they had gotten it from an estate sale like that. The curiosity of it intrigued me - Why would someone commemorate the 10th anniversary of anything from 1962 with a knife that came out in 1964? I never could come up with a reasonable answer.

I have this "mild" OCDness with being correct when I post something or tell someone something. I'm sure there is a real name for the condition where someone has a strong phobia to putting out bad information.

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”