WESTERN fixed blade question.

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
stan

WESTERN fixed blade question.

Post by stan »

Is there a good reference for the handles Western offered for the 1950 No. 48 and the No. 28 series? (The 1950 catalog has red, orange, and ivory plastic handles.) And, then the 1959-60 Catalog has bone stag for the 648, and red, ivory or yellow tenite for the P48. And, bone stag for the 628, and red or ivory for the P28. (There is the regular L48 and L28 also.)

Have examined green, blue, black beauty, and ivory scrimshaw handles that I've not been able to find info on?
tongueriver

Re: WESTERN fixed blade question.

Post by tongueriver »

stan wrote:Is there a good reference for the handles Western offered for the 1960 No. 48 and the No. 28 series? (The 1960 catalog has red, orange, and ivory plastic handles.) And, then the 1959-60 Catalog has bone stag for the 648, and red, ivory or yellow tenite for the P48. And, bone stag for the 628, and red or ivory for the P28. (There is the regular L48 and L28 also.) Have examined green, blue, black beauty, and ivory scrimshaw handles that I've not been able to find info on?
If you have looked at the catalog pages in The Knife Makers Who Went West, you have probably accessed everything that is known to exist in your particular regard. I think the scrimshaw knives were done and sold in an Alaska outlet; perhaps ordered in plain white bone (they are not ivory) by someone there and then scrimshawed in a primitive manner before being sold there. That is only my best guess. All cutleries released items not catalogued.
stan

Post by stan »

tongueriver wrote:
stan wrote:Is there a good reference for the handles Western offered for the 1950 No. 48 and the No. 28 series? (The 1950 catalog has red, orange, and ivory plastic handles.) And, then the 1959-60 Catalog has bone stag for the 648, and red, ivory or yellow tenite for the P48. And, bone stag for the 628, and red or ivory for the P28. (There is the regular L48 and L28 also.) Have examined green, blue, black beauty, and ivory scrimshaw handles that I've not been able to find info on?
If you have looked at the catalog pages in The Knife Makers Who Went West, you have probably accessed everything that is known to exist in your particular regard. I think the scrimshaw knives were done and sold in an Alaska outlet; perhaps ordered in plain white bone (they are not ivory) by someone there and then scrimshawed in a primitive manner before being sold there. That is only my best guess. All cutleries released items not catalogued.
tongueriver,

Thank you for the information.

Best Regards,
stan

Post by stan »

I've been acquiring the P84 sets for a few years now. And, not aware of a P28 with yellow.? And, wonder if the P48 and P28 blades (both) come in Green and Blue? Also, apparently, Western offered a F84.?

May be difficult to get answers, because marked L48s and L28s are showing up with yellow, blue, and green handles.?
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

There are some exceedingly strange, lovely and non-original Westerns coming from one seller in Colorado, who has been vague about the source, but it appears to be from a man who acquired access to a large number of Western parts from way back and he is putting them together, many in non traditional configurations. Big prices too. I bought something in a weak moment and they are very nice but NOT original, no doubt about it.

What is an F84?
stan

Post by stan »

[/image]
tongueriver wrote:There are some exceedingly strange, lovely and non-original Westerns coming from one seller in Colorado, who has been vague about the source, but it appears to be from a man who acquired access to a large number of Western parts from way back and he is putting them together, many in non traditional configurations. Big prices too. I bought something in a weak moment and they are very nice but NOT original, no doubt about it.

What is an F84?
"tongueriver",

Yes, I've seen those blades also, colored plastic handles on guard and blade marked "L" knives.

The F84, apparently, the Black Beauty version of the equivalent L84, P84, and 684 (see p.164 of TKMWWW). (Yes, know you can fake a F84 Twin Set, by coloring the sheath,---but this looks real. I've not found it advertised in mid to late 60s magazines.)

Best Regards,

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”