Early Western Celluloids,

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Early Western Celluloids,

Post by djknife13 »

For a while I was actively collecting Westerns of all patterns and handle materials and was cleaning them up a bit. They have been stored away for a few years and neglected except for a quick scan every few months to make sure these ones weren't pulling any nasty celluloid tricks. I grouped the celluloids together for a couple pictures. I'm sure there are others in different rolls but these will have to do for now. The first picture are all small 2 blade with the top 3 being Western Boulder and the two bottom are Western States (arched). The second picture are 2 fish (toothpick) knives, both Western States, the larger stockman at 3 5/8 inches is a Western States with a match striker punch, the small stockman is a Western Boulder and has a Wharncliff secondary along with it's secondary pen blade and the yellow is a Western Bo. I'll have to try to group some of the other patterns later for group pictures. ___Dave
Attachments
Western States and Western Bo 001.JPG
Western States and Western Bo 002.JPG
dcgm4

Re: Early Western Celluloids,

Post by dcgm4 »

Those are awesome. I love the one with the birdseye rivets. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a little one at 2 11/16".
Attachments
DSCN7536.JPG
DSCN7538.JPG
DSCN7540.JPG
DSCN7542.JPG
DSCN7543.JPG
Joe
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

That's a sweet little knife Joe. ___Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dave. ::tu::
Joe
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That little knife has some real charm! ::tu:: Thanks for showing it!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Cal. ::tu::
Joe

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”