In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
tongueriver

Re: New member

Post by tongueriver »

That's a pretty one. Four inches plus English jack? ::tu:: Hoping to hear more soon from our new guy!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Cal. Yes, it's 4 1/2".

I was hoping a picture of a Western knife would nudge our new friend but it may take more than that.
Joe
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

Welcome home Stag man. Nice to have someone around who actually built the finest CV knives ever made. IMO

For that alone I thank you and your wife for being a part of such a wonderful Knife co.

Hope to see you around and look forward to your Western postings and well you know, the pics of those rare one of a kind beauties found under the machinist table that somehow mysteriously ended up in you lunch box. :7)

Just poking, glad your here with the rest of us Western nuts.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

::pace::
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Joe, that's one fine looking jack! Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Do I have B.O.? Halitosis? Or was it something I said? :?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”