What can you tell a newbie about this Western?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
sakoblade

What can you tell a newbie about this Western?

Post by sakoblade »

Hi, I just stumbled across this little beauty at a local auction and it speaks to me even though I don't hunt for birds that often.

Does it look legit? I own a few US made knives but I am far from an expert so need help. In many ways! :lol:

And yeah, what is this model called?

Cheers!

Jim
IMG_7946.JPG
IMG_7947.JPG
CheckSix

Re: What can you tell a newbie about this Western?

Post by CheckSix »

It's a Western, made by Camillus, WD235 Bird Knife. I don't know the exact history but somewhere in the mid 90's, I believe Camillus acquired Western. You can see it in the 1996 Catalog in the link below, if you page all the way down to Western Folders...
http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Ca ... talogs.pdf
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
sakoblade

Re: What can you tell a newbie about this Western?

Post by sakoblade »

CheckSix!

Thanks again for your much appreciated help!! I will keep a close eye on the auction but don´t expect to get it.

We´ll see?

Jim

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”