My one and only Western... but my most used knife!

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
CheckSix

My one and only Western... but my most used knife!

Post by CheckSix »

Back in 1978, my wife bought me this knife for my birthday. I was gob-smacked! I loved this knife! It's a S-532.... and it always went in the field with me and has field dressed a lot of big game animals... plus it did tons of other knife duties. As you would expect, it was a tool and I didn't keep the box or paperwork and I basically abused it. A few months ago, after feeling bad about it, I cleaned it up by polishing it and putting a super good edge back on the blade... I even leather treated the sheath a couple of times. At one point in it's life, the sheath stitching started coming apart, so I took it to my favorite Korean shoe repair place and he fixed the stitching. Bottom line is, this was my first real serious knife, I used it as intended, it never let me down and I'm very fond of it.... lots of memories.
Attachments
DSC_8456X.JPG
DSC_8457.jpg
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My one and only Western... but my most used knife!

Post by treefarmer »

Hey CheckSix,
I hope you're not retiring that ol' gal! Don't feel bad about using a knife that does a good job, use it but don't lose it ::tu:: !
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

treefarmer wrote:Hey CheckSix,
I hope you're not retiring that ol' gal! Don't feel bad about using a knife that does a good job, use it but don't lose it ::tu:: !
Treefarmer
Oh hell-no! The knife still gets used... but the owner may be retired! :D

Thanks Treefarmer!
NRA Life/Endowment
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I'm a certified Weatern nut! I've never had a Western stainless knife, but their carbon steel is top shelf!

That one is a real looker. Nothing is any more sad than an old mint pocket knife, shotgun, or rifle. Them used ones have stories to tell and character. I like em.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Colonel26 wrote:I'm a certified Weatern nut! I've never had a Western stainless knife, but their carbon steel is top shelf!

That one is a real looker. Nothing is any more sad than an old mint pocket knife, shotgun, or rifle. Them used ones have stories to tell and character. I like em.
Agree 100% Colonel!! I started hunting deer back in 1978. Back then, I was living in some not so ideal areas for deer... but in 1983 that all changed and I was fortunate to start going to eastern Montana for Mule and W/T deer. My buddy and I got lucky and had 3 antlered tags and 10 doe tags for a 10 day trip. That Western S-532 of mine got used heavily on that trip!! The deer rifle I took was my then, 4 yr old Ruger M-77 in .30-06. I still have it, dings and all. It even went to Africa with me in 2002 and took several antelope... including this Kudu and Gemsbok. That rifle still shoots 1/2 moa with my handloads.

I will admit that I do have some safe queens but I got more tools, than queens. :wink:
Attachments
Dave_Gemsbok.jpg
Dave_Kudu.jpg
NRA Life/Endowment
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

CheckSix - welcome to the forum! I only have a couple of fixed blade Westerns, but they are very good knives. I like the hunting photos!
Mel
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Thanks for the welcome!

So, what carbon steel Westerns should I keep my eye open for? I don't know the product line models like you guys do. I can tell you the S-532 is a great tool in the field.
NRA Life/Endowment
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

That's awesome bro!! Keep 'er goin' !!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

TripleF wrote:That's awesome bro!! Keep 'er goin' !!! ::tu::
Thanks! I'll try to keep on, keepin' on! :mrgreen:
NRA Life/Endowment
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful pics!

As to which western models, depends on what you like. I focus mails on the one's marked Western Boulder Colo. Those are pre 1973. I like them because they got kind of blocky and not as refined in the later 70's. Older bone handled ones from the 50's and earlier are always nice, but Western had really good Delrin so don't discount those. My edc Western is a Delrin Boulder Colo 742. That's a 4 inch stockman. Like most Western knives it's way over built, tough as nails and the steel is excellent.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Great story and a great knife. Keep enjoying it. I have 2 Western Stockmans .
Keep Near the Cross.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Colonel26 wrote:Wonderful pics!

As to which western models, depends on what you like. I focus mails on the one's marked Western Boulder Colo. Those are pre 1973. I like them because they got kind of blocky and not as refined in the later 70's. Older bone handled ones from the 50's and earlier are always nice, but Western had really good Delrin so don't discount those. My edc Western is a Delrin Boulder Colo 742. That's a 4 inch stockman. Like most Western knives it's way over built, tough as nails and the steel is excellent.
Thanks!

I'll keep my eyes open for a good pre'73 #742 then!
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

by the way, I just checked out how to decode the tang stamp on my S-532 knife and it is stamped with an "A". This means it was made in 1977, which makes sense getting it in early '78 as a present from my wife.
NRA Life/Endowment

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”