Wesrtern Folding Hunter

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Rebstock

Wesrtern Folding Hunter

Post by Rebstock »

Can someone tell what is the difference is in 061 & 062 folding hunters? Thanks
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Wesrtern Folding Hunter

Post by Colonel26 »

I'm probably wrong on this. But, I think the only difference was that the 061 had celluloid scales. I say that because the only 061's I've seen looked identical to the 062's except with celluloid.

Don't take that as gospel, just my observation.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Wesrtern Folding Hunter

Post by terryl308 »

::tu:: On page 166 of the book "Knife Makers Who Went West" by Harvey Platts, both knives are listed, the 062 is listed as genuine bone stag handle with a natural color belt sheath. The 061 is listed right under it as a pearl composition handle (same knife as the 062) but with a jet black sheath. This is out of the 1959-1960 catalog sheets. Hopes this clears it up for you. Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”